Dumbarton v Morton

Glad to see that I wasn't the only person disappointed with that today. Content with a point, but I would expected the team to setup to have a go at home. If that is the setup for the team to stay in this league, let's hope a few draws will keep us up.

Starting to agree with those that think Stevie's out his depth, not a terrible manager but just not good enough for this level.

Thought the refereeing was dreadfully inconsistent. Although he did show some sense with Nade and Forbes.

Edited to add... Need to add to the mentions of what a shite game it was.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was pleased to see the way the team set up at the start with two up front and all. However, in the end we have Jamie Ewings and Gregor Buchanan to thank for a point.

And yet if Nade had been supplied properly we could have won. The big man set up a couple of great chances. His awareness, poise and presence is a joy to watch. I can't believe the hostile reaction to Heffernan and the ironic cheers when he was substituted.

Docherty's booking was a joke considering some of the fouls which went unpunished.

With no thought at all about my appendage, I'm not going to Ibrox.

As much as i like jon routledge, i cant see him keeping joe mckee out that morton team. If he signs, will that be as a result of tidser leaving?

Routledge must be utter dung if he couldn't push powderpuff McKee out of the side.

I was pleased to see the way the team set up at the start with two up front and all. However, in the end we have Jamie Ewings and Gregor Buchanan to thank for a point.

And yet if Nade had been supplied properly we could have won. The big man set up a couple of great chances. His awareness, poise and presence is a joy to watch. I can't believe the hostile reaction to Heffernan and the ironic cheers when he was substituted.

Docherty's booking was a joke considering some of the fouls which went unpunished.

Did he get that? Pretty mad as I thought he actually looked pretty handy today. He did miss a few good chances, but the fact he got into those positions was pleasing. 

He's clearly not one of 'the favourites' so therefore will receive the obligatory abuse from a few home fans when he goes a game without scoring four goals, assisting two and saving a penalty.

Pleased for Buchanan, really bounced back with an excellent performance.

Decent clean sheet but little else to take from that. Fair enough we played two forwards but what's the point when you've nothing supporting them. The tactics were just a bit weird.

2 strikers was a positive move. Unfortunately we had nobody who looked capable of getting the ball to them. Zero creativity or attacking awareness. I thought Fleming looked good in midfield today but he didn't really have any help around him with willing runners, so he was winning the ball but couldn't get a Sons attack going because we didn't have anybody making the runs for him.

We're running out of games to secure points. Today was winnable. Beyond that we're probably looking at St Mirren at home and Alloa away. I wouldn't be overly confident of needing to go to Alloa to win in order to secure 8th place. A 0-0 draw and Livi to beat us to 8th isn't beyond contemplation.

Did he get that? Pretty mad as I thought he actually looked pretty handy today. He did miss a few good chances, but the fact he got into those positions was pleasing.

He's clearly not one of 'the favourites' so therefore will receive the obligatory abuse from a few home fans when he goes a game without scoring four goals, assisting two and saving a penalty.

Heffernan looks like the type of player who comes alive in the box and won't win any awards for his work rate. The way we were setup didn't suit a penalty box striker.

I didn't recall any hostility but there were some calling for him to be subbed.

I couldn't make the game today, but it's disappointing to read that it was a drab affair and we seem to have missed a chance of three valuable points.

However I'm trying to look at it that it's another point on the board, and with Alloa taking a point from livi, while we haven't got any further away from them, it's another game down that Livi haven't advanced on us.

Tuesday is a guaranteed three points for the away team anyway...

Glad to see that I wasn't the only person disappointed with that today. Content with a point, but I would expected the team to setup to have a go at home. If that is the setup for the team to stay in this league, let's hope a few draws will keep us up.

Starting to agree with those that think Stevie's out his depth, not a terrible manager but just not good enough for this level.

Thought the refereeing was dreadfully inconsistent. Although he did show some sense with Nade and Forbes.

Edited to add... Need to add to the mentions of what a shite game it was.

We need to remember that we have an Assistant Manager with him in Stevie Farrell, so can we assume that decisions are taken collectively ?

If so, then that is a worry for yet again today showed a worrying misunderstanding of the balance and formation required for a football team.  Effectively playing four right-footed central midfielders from the off with two strikers ahead of them was madness, utter madness, and only Morton's failure to score masked that.  If the same team takes the field at Ibrox on Tuesday then Tavernier and Wallace will have a field night. 

As it was, forward passes were of the hoofball variety to Nade and Heffernan and it's a wonder they managed to make anything of it.  Morton had the complete freedom of the flanks and considering the ball that McMullan and the left-back especially enjoyed all afternoon Jim Duffy should be raging they dropped two points.

Every fan in the stand could see this form 10 minutes in - no correction, 2.30pm, so why not our management team ?  For Tuesday I would play Taggart and Watters in wide midfield, rest Barr and perm two from Routledge, Lindsay and Fleming.  But what do I know ? 

The space afforded to Morton was criminal. Easy possession down both sides and didn't make enough of it. 3 hard working industrious central midfielders without a pass between them.

Interesting sons fans shouting for width and for players to close down but team wasn't set up to do that.amazingly we nearly got away with it

We won't pick up many more points with this narrow formation. If Barr has a knock for Tuesday changes might be forced on us.

I've written Tuesday off anyway but we've got other games to think about.

FWIW the Championship side that ends up in the play-offs must stand a pretty good chance of emerging with their status intact. The division below is clearly stacked with utter dross and the 'form team' going into them are managed by the biggest bottle merchant in Scottish football. Though Aitken chalked up a few impressive marks for that last season too.

We need to remember that we have an Assistant Manager with him in Stevie Farrell, so can we assume that decisions are taken collectively ?

If so, then that is a worry for yet again today showed a worrying misunderstanding of the balance and formation required for a football team.  Effectively playing four right-footed central midfielders from the off with two strikers ahead of them was madness, utter madness, and only Morton's failure to score masked that.  If the same team takes the field at Ibrox on Tuesday then Tavernier and Wallace will have a field night. 

Stevie's the manager, he is the one accountable for assembling the team who advise him, so IMO the buck stops with him. The whole Barr/Buchanan/Wright/Saunders conundrum is a problem of his own making.

It's pretty evident to me that the management team simply don't know how to attack and that s going to make life rather uncomfortable between now and April 30th.

Guy next to me in row L was shouting "21,21" when Cawley was waiting to come on then applauded loudly, helmet. Heff was ineffective but a blind guy could see that today it was because we didn't help him what so ever.

Id probably have subbed him but not cause he was poor, I'd have subbed him to change the shape of the team.

He got that all right. There is a coterie sits not far from me that delights in singling out players for abuse. It seems that it centred on Heffernan today. I agree with you.

As it was, forward passes were of the hoofball variety to Nade and Heffernan and it's a wonder they managed to make anything of it.  Morton had the complete freedom of the flanks and considering the ball that McMullan and the left-back especially enjoyed all afternoon Jim Duffy should be raging they dropped two points.

Every fan in the stand could see this form 10 minutes in - no correction, 2.30pm, so why not our management team ?  For Tuesday I would play Taggart and Watters in wide midfield, rest Barr and perm two from Routledge, Lindsay and Fleming.  But what do I know ? 

Yes indeed. At times the lack of width was laughable and at others the lack of any midfield was noticeable. 4-5-1 for Ibrox and a limitation excercise which thankfully, I won't witness.

I didn't hear Heffernan getting anything other than a round of applause, disappointing if he's been singled out. He should've scored mind you but he wasn't the worst out there.

Archived