Our Strongest XI

Marshmallo

Matt Ritchie proves every time he plays how important he is for Scotland. Not having him in the team should mean being sectioned IMO.

Premier League clubs who are sitting in the Champions League places right now vying for his signature is another indication.

Not sure if serious.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goals - Like others have said, not alot between them at the moment. If Hull go up then maybe give the nod to McGregor but I don't think we have any major issues here.

Defence - Until any other right backs or centre halves make a solid challenge for a start then it's going to be Hutton, Martin and Hanley for the next campaign with Berra as back up. It's not great but not much choice. More competition at left back but Robertsons from the time being.

Defensive Mid - Last campaign, Brown and Morrison were Strachans favoured two in this spot. I actually believe Strachan will stay with this but it's not what I think is strongest. For me there is 6 players fighting for these slots - 4 defensive minded players (Brown, Fletcher, McArthur, Mulgrew) and 2 playmaker type players (Morrison and Bannan). I would like us to go forward with McArthur in that role and Morrison edges the other position. Gor what it's worth I woukd actually have Brown as last choice out of the 4 defensive midfielders.

Attacking Mid - Ritchie, Snodgrass and Anya. All three have become very important players recently for Scotland and highlighted in the the recent friendlies. People. It's a shame for Naismith and Maloney who are being cut though.

Striker - Steven Fletcher. There are those on here who absolutely hate him and wouldn't even have him in the squad. I think he had one really poor game in the last campaign (Georgia, like most) but was one of our better players in almost every other game.

The amount of balls he wins, his touch, hold up play, intelligent passes etc. I'm by no means saying he is world class, but he is the best we currently have at that position. Yes his goal scoring record should be better, but he should be judged on how he contributes to the team as a whole and as mentioned he does this role better than anyone else we have. McCormack showed against Czech that he may also be quite useful in a similar role which is good to see. Whilst I would also have no issue with Naismith up top, it's a very different dynamic and style to Fletchers and I think Fletchers style suits our other players, especially our wider men.

In summary:

McGregor

Hutton

Martin

Hanley

Robertson

McArthur

Morrison

Ritchie

Snodgrass

Anya

S.Fletcher

Mcgregor

Hutton Martin Berra Tierney

McArthur  Fletcher Morrison

Snodgrass                         Anya

Fletcher 

Ritchie constantly gives the ball away and flatters to deceive, he has zero pace and continually makes bad decisions.

Interesting that Gordon, Marshall and McGregor now have 100 caps between them. Would have been interesting if only one of the three was around as they would probably be in contention for beating the caps record, injuries and being banned from the national team aside.

Who is Walker?

Texas ranger?

Looking at most of these lineups it's clear the current pool is depressingly poor.

Little to no chance of qualifying with the same tired group of honest triers.

I'd suggest retaining an experienced spine (Gordon, Morrison, S Fletcher) and making up the remainder with the best of the u21s (McGinn, McLean, Gauld, Kingsley etc.) that can develop together towards ec2020

In the meantime I wouldn't write off griffiths just yet, he's one of the better finishers Scotland has and he's barely had a look in yet tbf

Blair Alston is possibly the final piece of this jigsaw, terrific footballer

#maverick #grafter #sex

Since Strachan took over, you get the feeling the team is right on the cusp of a breakthrough, then, every campaign, he throws in a 'the fucking hell is this you complete simpleton?' team and formation and they lose a daft game to some jobber outfit, usually a Georgia or a Moldova type side and that's the campaign over.

On what I saw from the two games I would go for:

Gordon

Hutton

Martin

Hanley

Robertson

Fletcher

McGinn

Ritchie

Naismith

Anya

Fletcher

I thought McGinn, although he faded looked great in the first 20 against the danes, as did young Tierney.  We need to keep a core pof experiance so I'd have Snodgrass, Morrisson and Brown in and arounf too but also a few more youngsters too.

Texas ranger?

Looking at most of these lineups it's clear the current pool is depressingly poor.

Little to no chance of qualifying with the same tired group of honest triers.

I'd suggest retaining an experienced spine (Gordon, Morrison, S Fletcher) and making up the remainder with the best of the u21s (McGinn, McLean, Gauld, Kingsley etc.) that can develop together towards ec2020

In the meantime I wouldn't write off griffiths just yet, he's one of the better finishers Scotland has and he's barely had a look in yet tbf

Blair Alston is possibly the final piece of this jigsaw, terrific footballer

#maverick #grafter #sex

Another idiot

My God...this is a breath of fresh air....great post..we are we are...we cant go and buy a right back...we cant buy a new striker like a man u. or a man.city..we have to operate witnin the rules of international selection...I find it amazing that GS Is getting slaughtered by so many people. Get rid of him and bring in someone knew?...Who? The knew guy would have the exact same players at his disposal. To think that guys from the under 21s can come in and improve upon guys like Fletcher and Fletcher and Hutton and Hanley and Martin is foolhardy. ..Strachan doesnt get everything right. But, he is a guy with a decent managerial background. Why don't we all get behind him and realise he is doing his best? and, for me a fair job...can he learn from the past and improve? Yes ...The National Team for 10 years prior to his arrival was poor..in my opinion, under his guidance, there has been a big improvement

Another thing, to suggest he has a Celtic bias tells me more of the protesters than anything else....by the way im an Ayr United supporter and live in the Philippines. ....I await to be slaughtered by the usual suspects.

The one  player that doesn't get a mention in this thread is Mulgrew.  Strachan loves him and will play him in the qualifiers, either in defence or midfield.

Marshall

Hutton      Martin       Hanley      Tierney

Brown  Mulgrew

Ritchie   Snoddy  Anya

Fletcher

The one player that doesn't get a mention in this thread is Mulgrew. Strachan loves him and will play him in the qualifiers, either in defence or midfield.

Marshall

Hutton Martin Hanley Tierney

Brown Mulgrew

Ritchie Snoddy Anya

Fletcher

He might even end up playing at left back like he did in second half of both friendlies.

It's called having a laugh, idiot.

Hmm no don't think it was a laugh it was my opinion on who I think is the strongest Scotland eleven, why would saying "who walker was" being a laugh? He's on form and should be included in the next squads if he continues to play like he is and I think he will. So no I don't think it was a laugh I didn't jump into ur selections and have a laugh did I?

Archived