Our Strongest XI

Marshmallo

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt Ritchie is one of our better players.

I was 50/50 on him when he first came into the Scotlsnd setup but he's probably been our top performer over the past 4/5 games. Him, Anya and Phillips all offer us something different in that wide position. You could include Snodgrass as well but I'd rather have him in the no10 role.

I was 50/50 on him when he first came into the Scotlsnd setup but he's probably been our top performer over the past 4/5 games. Him, Anya and Phillips all offer us something different in that wide position. You could include Snodgrass as well but I'd rather have him in the no10 role.

What you need to do is now run through the last 4 or 5 games and make the case why he's been our 'top performer'  

Wee hint:  He's been awful. 

What you need to do is now run through the last 4 or 5 games and make the case why he's been our 'top performer'

Wee hint: He's been awful.

:lol:

f**k have you been watching?

• 3 weeks later...

International football is very much a squad game. Very hard to come up with an ideal best XI.

I'd like to see us try and emulate Leicester's tactics, ie give away possession, defend deep and hit on the break. The advantage that Leicester have though is that they have 2 world class attacking players in Vardy & Mahrez!

However... if we start with the attack... and we don't have many options... then Griffiths is probably the best option for a striker who can play on the break.

So, my ideal side (with more than 1 option where available) would be:

Marshall / Gordon / McGregor

Hutton

Hanley

Martin

Robertson / Tierney

Ritchie / Snodgrass

Brown / D Fletcher

McArthur / Morrison

Anya / Phillips

Naismith / S Fletcher

Griffiths

I also like seeing Mulgrew in the side due to his set play ability and height. What is his best position however?

We are very very short in central defence and we're lacking a genuine world class player. But Northern Ireland have it worse than us and they've done okay....

Vardy and Mahrez have been top class, perhaps even world class this season - but I think a lot of that is down to the fact that Ranieri took the handbrake off and let them play in a system that suits them (both players were decent but never 'world class' before this season).

So it's an interesting point - should we try something similar? I'd agree that Griffiths is the most apt striker for that setup. Did we not have a variation of that setup in the McLeish days (defend like crazy, neglect possession, and look to get cheeky goals on the break from McFadden, Miller, Boyd)?

Don't think we have anyone even close to being as quick as vardy or as creative as Mahrez. ...not to mention that we would then have to rely on brown or fletcher covering the same sort of mileage as kante which certainly isn't happening. We do need some variety in our system....its clearly not working and even mediocre teams like Georgia are reading how we play.

Don't think we have anyone even close to being as quick as vardy or as creative as Mahrez. ...not to mention that we would then have to rely on brown or fletcher covering the same sort of mileage as kante which certainly isn't happening. We do need some variety in our system....its clearly not working and even mediocre teams like Georgia are reading how we play.

A fully fit Anya is easily faster than Vardy, tho unfortunately he's not a striker

This a wind up?

No. Haven't you seen his acceleration and pace?

Vardy is clearly a far better* player, but measured on speed alone I'd wager Anya is faster.

*Based on this season at least

ETA: just googling this and found http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier

So maybe I'm havering p15h, but I can only assume Anya isn't in that list because a) he's not playing much and b) he isn't being used as a winger by Watford.

I think Anya's speed/pace is deceiving because he's small.

Vardy will be up there with if not the fastest in the premier league.

Bellerin, Martial, Origi, Walcott are all fast, I wouldn't have thought Anya would be anywhere close.

I think Anya's speed/pace is deceiving because he's small.

Vardy will be up there with if not the fastest in the premier league.

Bellerin, Martial, Origi, Walcott are all fast, I wouldn't have thought Anya would be anywhere close.

Maybe a little deceiving but, honestly, are we now saying Anya on the break isn't fast as f*ck?

Archived