Junior football - Debate

Beng24310

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re the safety or otherwise of 3g pitches, dont you think the boys and youth leagues or SYFA would have hiven guidance given the number of games played on this tpye of surface at these age groups. If you got rid of 3/4g pitches the future of scottish football would be bleak and the revenue stream for a number of clubs restricted. That said the safety of youngsters must come first and so far no governing body has raised any concern.

Maybe you've never been further than Saltcoats on holiday then or lead a sheltered life as it is pretty common to have to explain to English or irish colleagues.

I have regularly had to explain the name to non Scots, but as of yet none of them have ever been to a match. So what if we have to explain the name to someone on Corfu or in Berlin?

I would hate to see the name changed to a pseudo English league copy like Conference. Scottish senior football eventually has copied the English names and our has improved the quality not a jot.

Which part are you not getting right?

There IS toxic chemicals in the infill.

I agree that we are derailing the thread so I'm not going to debate 3G pitches with you anymore on this thread.

Which part of "no evidence" are you not getting? Diesel trucks and buses belch out toxins every minute of every day which you breath in.

You probably ingest stuff every day that you shouldn't.

Just because something might have traces of toxins in it, it doesn't necessarily follow that it will do you any harm.

Hence why, before you go shouting about 3G pitches causing all sort of health issues (becausebyou dont like them) you should wait for the evidence. To date, there is none.

To move this thread along.........

Anyone else heard about the plan to bring in some form of fitness test for club linesman so they can keep up with play and can better give decisions? I heard it was a request from the Referees?

So anyway, anyone heard anything about this?

I would prefer not to roll around on toxins.

It is your prerogative to do as you wish and your prerogative to ignore health concerns attached to this surface.

I can shout whatever I like when I like.

Therefore do not tell me what I can and cannot do.

Tell you what, get back to me in a few more years when your beloved surface all have to be ripped up.

I will leave this until then.

Have a stoater of a day.

LOL aye OK.............

Use the full season and have a 6/8 week winter break. All cup ties inc Scottish played to a  finish and play the Scottish from Aug to November and March to June. A proper fixture list would then be much better and review local cups as do we really need a East of Scotland/West of Scotland Cup when we have East/West Leagues and at least one other local tournament  ( in the East certainly)

So anyway, anyone heard anything about this?

There is one old linesman who had covered a few games at Beechwood. He is at least in his 50's big belly and tight shorts. Then there is another one who is about 25 and a very big chap in the gut department. Both of whom are very questionable on there fitness. :-/

PPFFTT

I've telt ye about eating beans.

Never noticed the net last week when I was there stood at the back with mostly Renfrew supporters I like the place tho the surface is horrendous it's dated and needs replaced don't think it's even 3g

Agreed, the bounce of the ball is inconsistent and leads to it spinning off in all directions and it has been like that for a couple of years.

...when the Pace getting their plastic?

There is one old linesman who had covered a few games at Beechwood. He is at least in his 50's big belly and tight shorts. Then there is another one who is about 25 and a very big chap in the gut department. Both of whom are very questionable on there fitness. :-/

Well apparently the clubs nominated linesman has to be upto a certain fitness standard, and attend a course/fitness test!

This I believe is a request from the Referees Association. How true this is I don't know (I heard it long before 1st April!), just wanted to find out if anyone else had heard this?

Could be problematic for a lot of clubs, I can see subs becoming linesmen....

Which part are you not getting right?

There IS toxic chemicals in the infill.

I agree that we are derailing the thread so I'm not going to debate 3G pitches with you anymore on this thread.

You do know that most food packaging contains toxic chemicals - are you not eating anything?

Toxins coming from the pitch, QL believing he can shout what he wants, chubby assistants, a week behind the play,that's before they do a study on the Pies.

Might take up the Bowls.

I'm vey conscious of what I put in my mouth.

Can you say the same.....

No.

I have no idea what you put in your mouth.

You do know that most food packaging contains toxic chemicals - are you not eating anything?

Plastic pitches are the best alternative available, and worth the 'risk'

c.f. the cost and benefit of mobile phones/wifi radio frequencies that are zapping our bodies every millisecond of the day

Ignoring the eating habits of some posters here, thought I would ask about views on how best to get the most out of what we have.

As I see it, teams go into their preseason training, then start playing games. With the winter break imposed on them, often at the last minute some Saturdays, players can still be training but losing match fitness. Sometime this break can run to a number of weeks. Starting to play again after the break is like starting the season all over again. I don't have any widespread evidence but many clubs seem to have players who have injuries/strains at this point. Is that due to the enforced break, or just what you would expect half way through a season?

Playing on 3G.

I know it is used at the highest levels of the game, where clubs spend time and money ensuring the artificial surface is in top condition. However speaking to players who train and play on 3G they complain about knee, hip, and in the case of goalkeepers shoulder and back problems in particular. These players blame the 3G surface, but this is a totally unscientific argument. 

Is there any research people know about? Especially where 3G surfaces are used which are not maintained to the ideal standards. 

If we started football now, why would we play through November to March and leave the best months of June, July and the bulk of August empty? It's madness, I don't disregard traditon and nostalgia entirely when thinking about the future of Junior football, but to me this should really be changed.

I hate astroturf pitches. I can see the benefits from a purely practical point of view, given the number of games that can be played on it in a short space of time. From the spectators point of view though it completely falsifies the game, it will play fine for the most part but there will be a few instances in the game where the ball grips on the rubber infill and gives a completely unnatural bounce.

On the subject of injuries, I've played on plenty of them and not had any issues I could put down to the pitch personally, but not to say it wouldn't affect others. The one at Petershill Park is dire, it's very thin and hard, well past it's best and I wouldn't watch a game there for that reason. Some are the opposite, very spongy and so full of the rubber infill your footing never really feels true. All in all, for kids, amatuers and mates playing a game of 7's, aye fine, but when I'm paying to spectate, no ta.

Other wee things like the name can and should be changed, sick of getting looked at like some sort of beast when I say I'm going to a junior game.

The fixture list is difficult in the current setup when you're playing through weather with no realistic chance of getting a game played. I'd probably do away with cup replays if playing through the winter.

Ignoring the eating habits of some posters here, thought I would ask about views on how best to get the most out of what we have.

As I see it, teams go into their preseason training, then start playing games. With the winter break imposed on them, often at the last minute some Saturdays, players can still be training but losing match fitness. Sometime this break can run to a number of weeks. Starting to play again after the break is like starting the season all over again. I don't have any widespread evidence but many clubs seem to have players who have injuries/strains at this point. Is that due to the enforced break, or just what you would expect half way through a season?

Playing on 3G.

I know it is used at the highest levels of the game, where clubs spend time and money ensuring the artificial surface is in top condition. However speaking to players who train and play on 3G they complain about knee, hip, and in the case of goalkeepers shoulder and back problems in particular. These players blame the 3G surface, but this is a totally unscientific argument. 

Is there any research people know about? Especially where 3G surfaces are used which are not maintained to the ideal standards. 

Couldn't agree more.

I know that the winter weather puts a lot of people off actually playing football. Where's the fun in training for 4-8 weeks without having a game? Then between May-August when the weather is at it's best, there's literally no football.

Obviously people go away their summer holidays etc but still, surely the majority would rather go and play/watch football when it's not -2 outside and pishing with rain?!

Archived