Junior football - Debate

Beng24310

I'm a relative newby to Junior football and my biggest issue has been the lack of fixture list and the fixation in getting a game played. What is the point of rescheduling the same fixture for 4 weeks when the pitch is under water. Move on to the next game in the fixture list, at least then you've got a chance of someone getting a game. The seniors manage to publish a full season fixture list, accommodating cups and national breaks. Surely it can't be too hard. It's a real pain trying to arrange transport, hospitality, time off work for longer distance away games etc when you don't have that visibility.

Someone suggested renaming Junior as Semi pro. What is the difference between semi pro and part time senior?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a relative newby to Junior football and my biggest issue has been the lack of fixture list and the fixation in getting a game played. What is the point of rescheduling the same fixture for 4 weeks when the pitch is under water. Move on to the next game in the fixture list, at least then you've got a chance of someone getting a game. The seniors manage to publish a full season fixture list, accommodating cups and national breaks. Surely it can't be too hard. It's a real pain trying to arrange transport, hospitality, time off work for longer distance away games etc when you don't have that visibility.

Someone suggested renaming Junior as Semi pro. What is the difference between semi pro and part time senior?

It's only the Junior Cup that gets rearranged for weeks on end. One difference between Junior and SPFL fixtures is the traditional weighting towards cups, but you have to also consider the much poorer playing surfaces. Games are much more likely to be off at Junior level.

The Junior fixtures are issued in such a way to give as many clubs a game as possible on a given date. You could easily issue a fixture list but lets say a cup tie needs to be played between teams A and B, while C and D were due to play them on the date the cup tie goes ahead. In the Juniors, C and D are given a fixture against each other that's not rearranged.

Firstly no offence but you do as it was the first thing I thought when I read your comments.

Secondly, My hobby is the Juniors fitba mate so no need to be referring to some historical crap that disnae hold any weight in today's game.

There are loads of knowledgeable folk on here who have decent views without stating they research. ;D

I suppose we can dispose of all that historical crap relating to Talbot winning stuff in the past then.

I suppose we can dispose of all that historical crap relating to Talbot winning stuff in the past then.

The last time I checked talbot were the scottish cup holders and league champions...........presently!...................

Thanks for the opportunity to get that in before the final.lol

We already have a pyramid system in the junior game.

Well that doesn't add up to a hill of beans given there is neither a route to the top nor a route to the bottom of football in Scotland as part of this pyramid. That's like saying there has been a pyramid since 1895 at all levels of the game in Scotland - but there are several of them and all unconnected.

Well that doesn't add up to a hill of beans given there is neither a route to the top nor a route to the bottom of football in Scotland as part of this pyramid. That's like saying there has been a pyramid since 1895 at all levels of the game in Scotland - but there are several of them and all unconnected.

Egypt has lots of pyramids, and they are not built on top of one another either!

As a newby to the juniors here are some ideas we have,

Junior tag to be renamed Lower League (SLL)

Early start to the season - If we start in June and play through till May with December and January as a break, this will surely see crowds go up due to no senior league games being played, Less games being postponed due to poor weather in December and January and this period can be used for fitness for players like a mid pre season.

Friday night football - We played a Friday night game and attracted 500 supporters and although i agree it should not be all the time, teams should be given the freedom to play some games on a Friday.

Games on a Sunday - Is this an option? top leagues all over the world play games on a Sunday so to attract bigger supports is it an option to move to a Sunday?

Ground Share - Is this an option for some clubs to maybe share with senior clubs (if playing on a Friday night or a Sunday)

I definetly wouldn't ground share with senior clubs, for one it could cripple junior clubs financially as some greedy businessmen would see this as a chance of some extra profit while the club has a perfectly playable ground in which they own lying empty.

I personally enjoy going to the small grounds standing watching rather than sitting 3 miles back from the game.

I'd like to ditch the 'junior' tag too if possible, I know its traditional but I think 'semi-pro' would be a better tag

Been trying to talk some folks from work into coming along to a game but the fixtures debacle makes it very difficult to arrange.

No way should we not know who we are playing next Saturday.

Realistically, how many times does that happen? They're usually up more than a week in advance. 

The problem is the weather/drainage. You can have as comprehensive a fixture list as you want but it's irrelevant when it rains all week.

That's what ruins planning and makes it difficult to introduce new people to the game.

Realistically, how many times does that happen? They're usually up more than a week in advance. 

The problem is the weather/drainage. You can have as comprehensive a fixture list as you want but it's irrelevant when it rains all week.

That's what ruins planning and makes it difficult to introduce new people to the game.

In this day and age, it's incredible that the leagues cannot put out a complete fixture list. Where is the professionalism?

Archived