Junior football - Debate

Beng24310

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if this has been said before, but it's not non-league, it's non-League meaning outside the national league system.

So you want to change 'The Juniors' because you have to explain what it means to another name that you have to explain what it means.

Right, OK, got it now.

1 So teams who's name have juniors in it wud probably have to change there names not to confuse people even more I've watched junior football for over 40 yrs and never found it a problem calling it junior football

2 summer football would be great but lots of players would miss games because of holidays

3 scrap ardagh and cental equivalent and get the league started earlier so that Scottish cup starts earlier and can take a break when bad weather kicks in

4 a fixture list would be great even if it was done a month in front so teams can budget better it's ridiculous that some

teams are going over 2 months without a home game

5 there should be a fixture committee not just one man doing fixtures or is there no one else interested in doing the job

Simply summer football at all levels in Scotland across the board apart from the spfl leagues( would like that but very unlikely to happen). I would think it would benefit junior teams more than most due to bigger crowds which in turn means more money for clubs to spend either on facilities or players.A decent summer night would draw in a much better crowd than a wet windy cold December day.

Absolute no brainer

Games on and not off

More people out to watch

Both mean a higher and consistent revenue stream

Better football to watch played on better surface

No need to finance Astro pitches everywhere

So cost free . Why don't we do it ?

Summer football would mean the season ending in November. It rains in September, October and November. You can't play midweek catch-up games from the end of August onwards without floodlights. 90% of clubs do not have floodlights.

As much as I want to see more football played in the summer months, a full summer season is a no go until clubs have floodlights.

Well apparently the clubs nominated linesman has to be upto a certain fitness standard, and attend a course/fitness test!

This I believe is a request from the Referees Association. How true this is I don't know (I heard it long before 1st April!), just wanted to find out if anyone else had heard this?

Could be problematic for a lot of clubs, I can see subs becoming linesmen....

Surely all the club linesman needs is decent eyesight? Stand in halfway and see if the balls out- they don't have to keep up with play and asking them to do so will result in some unnecessary altercations IMO

Up to U12 is childrens football then up to U17 is youth football, as you get childrens coach and youth coach, if you followed what England does then the Highland and lowland league is Non league as the winner of them two has the chance to go senior.

Most people who know about football know what Junior football is. 

Summer football would mean the season ending in November. It rains in September, October and November. You can't play midweek catch-up games from the end of August onwards without floodlights. 90% of clubs do not have floodlights.

As much as I want to see more football played in the summer months, a full summer season is a no go until clubs have floodlights.

I believe the idea would be that not to many catch up games would be required as most would be played in better weather .

I'm sure it still light enough in September to fit a few I if need be .

But I do accept your point .

But with more people and hence revenue stream might be able to afford floodlights !

Maryhill have them !

I believe the idea would be that not to many catch up games would be required as most would be played in better weather .

I'm sure it still light enough in September to fit a few I if need be .

But I do accept your point .

But with more people and hence revenue stream might be able to afford floodlights !

Maryhill have them !

GIven where we are, why are we preoccupied with 'solutions' that cost lots of money? 3Gs, floodlights when so many clubs cant afford the paint to spruce up their changing rooms.

We can do so much without spending a penny. Why not just start with those, and then if 3G offers solves a problem, look at it. 

As an aside, in my view it is important to not look at 'the summer' if change of season is the topic, but look at that period between when the clocks change. The choices we have in being able to do things during that period is very different from the choices that exist in the depths of winter. 

So you want to change 'The Juniors' because you have to explain what it means to another name that you have to explain what it means.

Right, OK, got it now.

Where did I say that like?

Women's football is March till end of October so they have beaten us to the punch

Most if not all women's sides will play less than thirty games in a season though - many using 3G and midweek summer fixtures.

Looks like he didn't research that :-D

Firstly I didn't enter this debate to get into a slanging match.

"Start a season on 1st Feb, really. By 1st March some teams wouldn't have played a game.

End it on 31st November- looking beyond the glaring mistake here how many cup finals would be getting called off or played terrible weather.

If you look at this season alone, if KRR and Cumbernauld both had 2 games to play going into November, then the season wouldn't have been finished."

If you re-read the post, you'd have seen I was referring to the seniors, so hands up to posting it in a Junior debate. However the 1 Feb start date was of course a generalisation and I thought it would probably have been seen as such.  

Lighter nights and the generally better weather during the spring and summer should mean less postponements and therefore none of the regular end of season fixture pile-ups we see in the juniors.

The cups and finals could be played off earlier in the season with the finals being held in September-ish, when the weather is still relatively fine.

The latter part of the post was about the term Juniors which I stated that "we.. would cling to",  2nd Senior was an off the cuff suggestion which I'd hope would lead to others... or maybe not. Although keeping the name because "It annoys folk who don't know the system so it keeps the interest alive", is hardly an argument for it.

I do agree that they'll be here in a decade's time, but with how many clubs is another question.

Firstly I didn't enter this debate to get into a slanging match.

"Start a season on 1st Feb, really. By 1st March some teams wouldn't have played a game.

End it on 31st November- looking beyond the glaring mistake here how many cup finals would be getting called off or played terrible weather.

If you look at this season alone, if KRR and Cumbernauld both had 2 games to play going into November, then the season wouldn't have been finished."

If you re-read the post, you'd have seen I was referring to the seniors, so hands up to posting it in a Junior debate. However the 1 Feb start date was of course a generalisation and I thought it would probably have been seen as such.

Lighter nights and the generally better weather during the spring and summer should mean less postponements and therefore none of the regular end of season fixture pile-ups we see in the juniors.

The cups and finals could be played off earlier in the season with the finals being held in September-ish, when the weather is still relatively fine.

The latter part of the post was about the term Juniors which I stated that "we.. would cling to", 2nd Senior was an off the cuff suggestion which I'd hope would lead to others... or maybe not. Although keeping the name because "It annoys folk who don't know the system so it keeps the interest alive", is hardly an argument for it.

I do agree that they'll be here in a decade's time, but with how many clubs is another question.

Took the bait like a tiddler. :-D :-D

Archived