Scouts

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're good enough you'll be seen mate!! Any half decent manager in the lower end of the senior game will be looking to the juniors for potential players. Just look at Clyde or Queens Park as examples.

The standard IMO can be better than the lower end of the senior game. Certainly in the Super Prems, East or West, and probably be better attended in a lot of cases (depending on the club you sign for).

I've also heard that in many cases the money can be better too!! Defo wouldn't be looking at it as s step down. Especially if you can sign for a top Super League Club.

It's all about opinions tho!!

The best thing you can do is find a team that is at least half decent in terms of coach/setup/where they play/ get into training get your head down and work away in and out of training on your own, eventually if you're are a genuine good player you will secure your place then you do that regularly, the move on, if you're good ;) all The best

Something to bear in mind that most of the top Junior sides tend to have a fairly high average age of player. Very few teenagers in the top division, and even fewer playing regularly. This may not be attractive but plenty of very talented lads drop from SPFL U20s to play U21s for a few years and get picked up either by Senior clubs or Junior clubs if they're good enough. Unless you've the physique of Wayne Rooney, that is.

The West 21s website to give you a good idea of the clubs:

http://www.west-of-scotland-21s-football-league.co.uk/All_Leagues.html

Pollok's youngest player at 19 is Steven Higgins who came from QOS earlier in the season and had three years Pro at Motherwell prior to that. Even with that background, he's not getting much of a look in. Our next youngest iirc are Liam Rowan (21) who signed from Falkirk and Del Hepburn (22) from Vale of Clyde. None of them start regularly.

All the best young man

We had a boy signed for Albion Rovers from us last summer and went on to win league 2

When I managed Amatuers team Clyde and Alloa signed players from us who are still Senior

My advice is to sign as an amatuer for a Junior Club (then they cannot stop you leaving - but if you are good enough you will play)

If you are good enough for step up it WILL happen

Depends on the gaffer and his contacts, links and attitude towards you.

I.e. Who he knows and if he wants you to progress or keep you if your an asset to his junior side.

If your good enough you'll get noticed.

Good luck mate.

Out of curiosity have you tried speaking to other senior clubs? Since you're still in your teens you might be best trying to get into one of their development squads and going from there? 

Got your whole life to play junior...

Other option is to play in u21s league

west of Scotland u21 premier league is a good standard like tower hearts , Rutherglen glencairn ,Pollock ect would give some junior teams a game

defo scouts at these games

The reality is you're unlikely to make a career out of football in this country. My advice? Get a decent education, a good career outside of football whilst playing somewhere that you enjoy it. Enjoyment is the most important thing.

The reality is you're unlikely to make a career out of football in this country. My advice? Get a decent education, a good career outside of football whilst playing somewhere that you enjoy it. Enjoyment is the most important thing.

totally agree with this

I accept this might be the case .

I have played alongside at least 8/9 players my age playing SPL and championship and the other leagues to just the other year.

I was also a old firm player and chased by the other half .

But had a couple of years of niggling injuries which affected my career .

I'm hoping to be clear of them and push on again

But thanks for the point

totally agree with this

Surely the amount of signing on fees you've had you could retire tomorrow :thumsup2

I accept this might be the case .

I have played alongside at least 8/9 players my age playing SPL and championship and the other leagues to just the other year.

I was also a old firm player and chased by the other half .

But had a couple of years of niggling injuries which affected my career .

I'm hoping to be clear of them and push on again

But thanks for the point

I wasn't meaning to be negative...

My mate is approaching 30 and has played SPFL for a few seasons, whilst also playing in the lower leagues also. He's racked up a few hundred professional appearances. He's approaching 30 now so likely only has another few years left in him making money out of football, and he has a mortgage with no career to fall back on when he finishes playing.

My point is, unless you're potentially an International player for Scotland in years to come, it would be more prudent to get an education outside of football as it'll leave you something to fall back on if the footy doesn't work out. Rory McAllister studied for a trade whilst playing in the lower leagues and he makes more money playing Part Time football alongside his job than he would with 90% of SPFL clubs. It's the reason he's been in the lower leagues playing part time most of his days, the money just isn't in Scottish Football to make a proper career out of it unless you're exceptional.

I think it all depends on the manager at the senior club. Queens Park have picked up Paul Woods(Petershill), Bryan Wharton(Shotts) & David Galt(Blantyre Vics) and all seem to be doing well enough. Queens Park also made some signings from Amateur & Lowland League side's as well. There's no doubting there's plenty more players in the junior, amateur and lowland league ranks who could play league 1 or 2 but sometimes the money is just better at a lower level and more convenient.

If you're good enough someone will take notice and be in contact with you. I know top players in the junior ranks who are contacted by senior clubs regularly but for various reasons don't want to make the step up.

Archived