Inverness Caley Summer transfer thread.

The Scotsman has an article today which indicates where each club still need to strengthen during the remainder of the transfer and I was surprised when I read what the reporter says we need to sign, it said a striker, attacking midfielder and another centre half.

I do agree about the centre half and striker but disagree that we need another attacking midfielder.

For the centre half, I have already suggested Liam Donnelly and maybe it would be worth taking a look at Kristian Nowak to if his Hearts trial fails in a deal, he is an Internationalist for Poland after all so can't be that bad.

For the striker I'm struggling a little bit, Nadir Ciftci on loan would be a coup but highly unlikely so I think the lower league and Irish market is best to look in for the striker.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mahonio said:

The Scotsman has an article today which indicates where each club still need to strengthen during the remainder of the transfer and I was surprised when I read what the reporter says we need to sign, it said a striker, attacking midfielder and another centre half.

I do agree about the centre half and striker but disagree that we need another attacking midfielder.

For the centre half, I have already suggested Liam Donnelly and maybe it would be worth taking a look at Kristian Nowak to if his Hearts trial fails in a deal, he is an Internationalist for Poland after all so can't be that bad.

For the striker I'm struggling a little bit, Nadir Ciftci on loan would be a coup but highly unlikely so I think the lower league and Irish market is best to look in for the striker.

I would look at attacking options and I think these will be filled pretty soon with loan deals. I think it would very difficult for a new player to establish himself anywhere else in the first team. A real signing coup would be if Foran can bring in a couple of young players from the English Premiership or Championship and ones that would give us something else that we don't have already. I'd rather not go down the route of bringing in players just to fill the bench.

Remember Ciftci has previous with Foran and the club, hardly endeared himself after losing the plot big style a few years ago.

Why do we need another centre half? We have Warren and Meekings who are first choice there, McNaughton has impressed so far this season in the middle and if we get really desperate we have Draper to call on as well as Tremarco. We definitely need another striker and perhaps an attacking midfielder to play behind a front man would be useful. Both Vigurs and Polworth are decent there but if we can somehow get someone who better fits that role. 

We don't have the budget to accommodate too many players vying for first team football and central defence and most of the midfield positions are pretty well stocked. But we only have Boden up front and don't really have an Andrew Shinnie type player to go in behind Boden. Unless Doran could fulfil that role?

Again this is a case of lazy journalism, the writer has just looked at it on paper against last seasons squad and come to the conclusion that we still need to replace Danny Devine since McNaughton is a right back. (??..he can play in a number of positions). Then there's us with our only two recognised strikers, this is nosebleed territory for us....two!!, we've usually had only one recognised ever since the days of Terry Butcher and for most of last season did without and yet we have a new striker Boden that has hit the ground running and does not look like struggling. So the journalist has paid no attention to any games so far this season. We've lost so many midfielders??? We had too many midfielders and out of these only Williams was a regular first choice for a game start through out most of last season. Also separating the centre backs was more down to who played and who sat in the stand recovering from injury, no mention of our horendous injury problems last season.

INVERNESS CT Still need: Striker, attacking midfielder, centre back Alex Fisher and new boy Scott Boden are the only recognised senior forwards in the squad and if the latter, a summer edition from Newport County, doesn’t adapt to the SPFL then expect Inverness CT to struggle. If Boden hits the ground running then Caley Thistle should be fine. Kevin McNaughton is a solid addition while Billy King has buckets of untapped potential that regular football in the Highlands should bring out of him. The return of Aaron Doran from injury may make up for the loss of so many midfielders from last season - Jordan Roberts, Danny Williams, James Vincent and Andrea Mbuyi-Mutombo - though new boss Richie Foran will look to bring in further cover in case Doran doesn’t get back to his pre-injury form. The separating of centre back partners Josh Meekings and Gary Warren was a major bone of contention among Inverness supporters with regards to John Hughes. Foran has already reunited the pair and will look for a deputy to replace Danny Devine, who left for Partick Thistle.

Read more at: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/where-each-scottish-premiership-side-could-still-strengthen-1-4193627

Normally I can't disagree with what a lot of The Terrace lads say about ICT even if it is something negative but I can't agree with a lot of that article.

Alex Fisher and new boy Scott Boden are the only recognised senior forwards in the squad and if the latter, a summer edition from Newport County, doesn’t adapt to the SPFL then expect Inverness CT to struggle.

Nothing wrong with that, a pretty fair comment.

If Boden hits the ground running then Caley Thistle should be fine. Kevin McNaughton is a solid addition while Billy King has buckets of untapped potential that regular football in the Highlands should bring out of him. The return of Aaron Doran from injury may make up for the loss of so many midfielders from last season - Jordan Roberts, Danny Williams, James Vincent and Andrea Mbuyi-Mutombo - though new boss Richie Foran will look to bring in further cover in case Doran doesn’t get back to his pre-injury form.

Again, mostly fair enough although given that players like Mutumbo, Roberts and Vincent were largely fringe / sub players for us last season it's not like we have lost key players from the starting eleven. I think Foran has gone for quality over quantity unlike Hughes who appeared intent on signing every midfielder available. Certainly Mulraney and King look like major upgrades on what we had last season and with players like Tansey, Draper, Polworth and Vigurs all still at the club I think midfield is pretty well stocked for us right now.

The separating of centre back partners Josh Meekings and Gary Warren was a major bone of contention among Inverness supporters with regards to John Hughes. Foran has already reunited the pair and will look for a deputy to replace Danny Devine, who left for Partick Thistle.

Meekings and Warren have yet to start a competitive game together but maybe this is in reference to early pre season games before Meekings was injured? I would say that Devine has been replaced already with McNaughton who is a massive upgrade and can play across most of the back line. A good player with some very useful versatility. Anyone else who might come in will be settling for a place on the bench and unlikely to challenge for a start which would just be wasted money really for a club like ICT.

James Forrest :lol::lol::lol::lol:?

Saw a tweet from Graham Linton saying that James needs a fresh start so he could get that up here :P.

Anyway, who do you guys suggest for a striker and attacking mid signing/loan?

Seen a tweet saying that Dean Shiels and Ryan Dow are still free agents so would they be worth looking at lol?

Very surprised Dow hasnt got a club especially with Saints being very interested in him at time of his Tannadice release.

Tbh, Shiels would be a good signing, even if it was as back up to Mulraney, Doran and King but our priority must be a Striker or 2 or 1 striker and one back up centre back.

I await nasty criticism from you asses, apart from Stephen, the ONLY one to actually DEFEND me!!

On 06/08/2016 at 00:16, Mahonio said:

Tbh, Shiels would be a good signing, even if it was as back up to Mulraney, Doran and King but our priority must be a Striker or 2 or 1 striker and one back up centre back.

Again, why do we need another centre back?

10 hours ago, RiG said:

Again, why do we need another centre back?

Do you still ask this because our last 2 performances indicate that we DO need another centre half!!

Anyway, seen a good post on cto forum which just said "its time the board backed the management by giving him funds to strengthen".

Right, back to transfers.   The Scotsman reporting that Arbroath want Christopher Brown and Cameron Gilchrist on loan.

Also, the same Scotsman article says Kilmarnock want Joe Gormley (Peterborough) on loan.

I also see Marcus Haber (former St J) is on trial.

Surely both plus another name to put forward, Rory Donnelly would be worth looking at.

Thoughts lol?

9 hours ago, Mahonio said:

Do you still ask this because our last 2 performances indicate that we DO need another centre half!!

No they don't. Did you go to the games? If you did you will know exactly what players we need in the team and a CB is not one of them especially with Meekings still to come back.

Archived