League One Team And Manager of The Year

Might as well rip off the other forums..

I'd kick off with a DAFC spine to the team of:

Keeper - Murdoch

CB - The Mighty BRE

Mid - Andy Geggan

CF - Faissal El Baktaoui

Greig Spence has impressed me recently and AJ talked him up after our most recent game - think he'd fit in perfectly with our style of play. 

Best manager? Jim McInally getting his team to run us so close and get to a final has to be the favourite. AJ has done a superb job - it's almost overkill the way he has had us performing this year - but any manager would fancy winning the league with our budget and full time status.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I've been to enough games to pick out a Team of the Year (although Ross Docherty and Faissal El Bakhtaoui would be in with a shout) but I think Allan Johnston is the Manager of the Year, no doubt about it. You can argue about budgets and full-time status being a major advantage but you only have to look at the dreck he walked into in the summer - he had to rebuild the squad, almost from scratch, and he upgraded Dunfermline in almost every position while getting them to play a pretty handsome brand of football to boot. Not only that, they're beginning to take shape for next season already and should be looking to consolidate in mid-table.

Credit to him, I say.

As much as I'm a fan of McCall and I think he has done a good job considering how awful we were last season I think manager of the year would have to be either Jim McInally or possibly Darren Young. Think Johnstone would definitely have been expected to win the league this year and has achieved that. But IMO Albion have certainly exceeded expectations and could possibly push for a playoff spot.

From what I've seen. Players don't really fit the positions but it'll do!

Murdoch (Dunfermline)

Brett (Cowdenbeath)

Dunlop (Albion have a fantastic defensive record but I couldn't tell you which player excels out of their back four)

BRE (Dunfermline)

Boyle (Ayr, barely put a foot wrong when played, not many other options I could think of, could possibly have been Talbot too)

Cardle (Dunfermline, easy choice)

Docherty (Ayr)

Geggan (Dunfermline)

EL BKHT (Dunfermline)

McAllister (Peterhead)

Spence (Cowdenbeath)

Manager either Mcinally or Young. Johnston closely behind them.

Dunlop (Albion have a fantastic defensive record but I couldn't tell you which player excels out of their back four)

Seen them a couple of times and thought the same - miserable to play against as they seem like such a well-sorted unit at the back, plus a wee guy protecting the back four in our most recent game at East End who just won every loose ball. 

As much as I'm a fan of McCall and I think he has done a good job considering how awful we were last season I think manager of the year would have to be either Jim McInally or possibly Darren Young. Think Johnstone would definitely have been expected to win the league this year and has achieved that. But IMO Albion have certainly exceeded expectations and could possibly push for a playoff spot.

Ayr were closer to us last year than what they are this year. McCall had a good few months but the way he capitulated after we beat you in the cup and league is the most impressive aspect of his season.

I'd have McInally as the manager of the year, done a superb job with Peterhead.

As for team of the year

Gk-Murdoch

Rb-Williamson

Cb-Mick Dunlop

Cb-Bre?

Lb-Talbot

Rm-Paton?

Cm-Geggan

Cm-Docherty

Lm-Cardle

St-McCallister

St-Faiss

Genuinely not sure who to put at CB, plumped for BRE because he has genuinely had a good season for us, been ever present in the best defence in the league should count for something but I can appreciate it will be contentious, can't think of many other CBs that have really stood out, league seems poor in that respect this year. I would've put McCausland in there but I don't think it's right to put a player in there who's no longer in the league?

Paton had an outstanding start to the season and tailed off in the middle, despite that he's got the most assists in our team with some ridiculous crossing, would've put the winger from Albion Rovers but he moved to Livingston?

Obviously biased towards Dunfermline but there's not many players I'd swap, we've been pretty good this year.

Ayr were closer to us last year than what they are this year. McCall had a good few months but the way he capitulated after we beat you in the cup and league is the most impressive aspect of his season.

I'd have McInally as the manager of the year, done a superb job with Peterhead.

As for team of the year

Gk-Murdoch

Rb-Williamson

Cb-Mick Dunlop

Cb-Bre?

Lb-Talbot

Rm-Paton?

Cm-Geggan

Cm-Docherty

Lm-Cardle

St-McCallister

St-Faiss

Genuinely not sure who to put at CB, plumped for BRE because he has genuinely had a good season for us, been ever present in the best defence in the league should count for something but I can appreciate it will be contentious, can't think of many other CBs that have really stood out, league seems poor in that respect this year. I would've put McCausland in there but I don't think it's right to put a player in there who's no longer in the league?

Paton had an outstanding start to the season and tailed off in the middle, despite that he's got the most assists in our team with some ridiculous crossing, would've put the winger from Albion Rovers but he moved to Livingston?

Obviously biased towards Dunfermline but there's not many players I'd swap, we've been pretty good this year.

Williamson has been injured the entire season?

Definitely impressed with Albions defence and their workrate in midfield. Ayrs midfield also.

Docherty, Adams, Albion winger who went to Livvy. Albion central defenders. Left back, not sure.

Murdoch is number one keeper, no arguements.

Full backs, not sure. Reid is steady, I rate Martin out wide also but he didn't play for long spells. Devlin and Boyle get good reviews but I'm not that impressed.

Centre backs, McAusland and BRE with Albion pushing them close.

Midfield. Geggan has been the most impressive. Docherty is a good player and Adams is horrible to play against.

Notable mentions for Falkingham and the Fisher from Albion. He ran the show in the second half last time.

Wingers cardle, and?

Forwards

Goal scorers

Fais

McAllister

Spence

Moffat best link up player in the league.

For Manager of the season I'm always looking at the ones who have over-achieved: if that was the main criterion you could look no further than Darren Young. Brian Reid and Jim McInally would also be in the running - the general opinion in August was that their teams would finish mid- to lower-table.

Taking nothing away from Johnston and McCall for achieving what was expected of them, with time to spare.

for second half of season and taking them from bottom at xmas to a playoff position Brian Reid would be in running for manager of year as would Allan Johnston because as we saw what happened last year that a good squad is nothing without good management, Jim McInally has done well with Peterhead but manager of year would be Darren Young at Albion Rovers

another premature thread. the league is so tight and play ofs to come that its not even clear who has had a good or bad season yet.

not so sure all the calls for Darren Young. Albion could easily finish 7th, not really that great to be honest. if they ended up 4th and won the play offs then thats a different kettle of fish.

absolutely not mccall, he has achieved very little although ayr could still go up.

johnston has done what any manager with half a clue should have done. its similar to praising warburton this season, as usual, he will probably win it as they walked the league.

mcinally has lead peterhead to a cup final and probably 2nd behind a team with many times more financial clout than the rest. at this moment, he is the main contender for me.

but, theres time for things to change ....

Don't really like Johnston but he has clearly down well, helped Faissal move on to a completely different level and took a side which was seventh last season to first. Cup wins plus three losses all season and most goals of any side in Scotland? ( I think)

No idea how McCall has achieved very little, taking a side which flirted with relegation to third. If pressed I would probably opt for Mcinally.

Don't really like Johnston but he has clearly down well, helped Faissal move on to a completely different level and took a side which was seventh last season to first. Cup wins plus three losses all season and most goals of any side in Scotland? ( I think)

No idea how McCall has achieved very little, taking a side which flirted with relegation to third. If pressed I would probably opt for Mcinally.

on paper, Ayr are under achievers.

but they could still go up then mccall is a shout.

which proves this is all a complee waste of time before the season ends.

I don't think McCall should get it btw, turned the team around well after last season. Got us to the first stage of this seasons target. He has failed to get the best out of Trouten though, one of the best players in the division the last couple of seasons. (Forrest too)

Darren Young brought his side up,expected to be certain relegation,and got them consolidated.A much more impressive performance than the other managers who had money to spend.

Archived