League One Team And Manager of The Year

another premature thread. the league is so tight and play ofs to come that its not even clear who has had a good or bad season yet.

not so sure all the calls for Darren Young. Albion could easily finish 7th, not really that great to be honest. if they ended up 4th and won the play offs then thats a different kettle of fish.

absolutely not mccall, he has achieved very little although ayr could still go up.

johnston has done what any manager with half a clue should have done. its similar to praising warburton this season, as usual, he will probably win it as they walked the league.

mcinally has lead peterhead to a cup final and probably 2nd behind a team with many times more financial clout than the rest. at this moment, he is the main contender for me.

but, theres time for things to change ....

Darren Young would be a sterling shout for Manager of the Year (although he wouldn't be my pick; see above). Albion Rovers were immediately marked as the favourites for 10th place is this season, almost as soon as they won promotion from League 2, but there has never been a single point when relegation looked likely. Yes, there's been a dip in form since the New Year, but all the good work the team put in between August and December ensured their safety. It's a phenomenal achievement.

That's two excellent seasons Young has enjoyed at Cliftonhill and must surely be a shout next time a position opens at a moderate-sized full-time club.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's two excellent seasons Young has enjoyed at Cliftonhill and must surely be a shout next time a position opens at a moderate-sized full-time club.

Nah, he's not that good. I would say he needs at least another 5-10 years at the Rovers to learn his trade before going to full-time management.

Don't go, Darren.  :(

FWIW, I think Darren Young has done excellently with Albion, especially as a very young (weeey) and somewhat inexperienced manager. Definitely worth a shout at MOTY. 

However, could it be that Albion Rovers' relatively high and impressive position in the league is more so down to the majority of us underestimating them rather than simply DY excelling solely as a manager?

Similar to Francesc Fabregas, I've barely made half a dozen games this season so I can barely comment on the overall performance on Pars players, let alone the rest of the league's. Saying that, Rory McAllister's incredibly goal tally for the season almost confirms his place along with our Moroccan Magician for the forwards. Cardle also deserves a place, 2(?) hat-tricks for the season is fantastic for a winger

Considering Rovers were widely expected to go straight back down, the fact they've never been in any danger of relegation means Darren Young has to be considered.

McInally took Peterhead to the playoffs and a Challenge Cup Final. Another decent shout.

AJ transformed the Pars, turned us into a side that scores loads of goals and hardly ever loses. We won the league at an absolute canter. However, pub team fans are likely to just dismiss his achievements and say it's just money and nothing else.

Considering Rovers were widely expected to go straight back down, the fact they've never been in any danger of relegation means Darren Young has to be considered.

McInally took Peterhead to the playoffs and a Challenge Cup Final. Another decent shout.

AJ transformed the Pars, turned us into a side that scores loads of goals and hardly ever loses. We won the league at an absolute canter. However, pub team fans are likely to just dismiss his achievements and say it's just money and nothing else.

In general the club that pays the highest wages will attract the best players. While that doesn't guarantee success it goes a long way towards it so I don't think your manager has done anything remarkable. In the same way I'm completely unimpressed by the Rangers and Celtic managers. All 3 have shown that if you can outspend the teams in your division you will probably win the league.

He has to be congratulated for assembling the squad etc. But I really don't see what he's done that merits any awards. Nothing that anyone thought he shouldn't have done given the resources at his disposal.

I don't get all the raving about Dean Brett, any time I've watched him he's not been any better than others in his position in this league.  Just my opinion though.  Making my picks on who's played best when i've watched them.

Murdoch

Devlin  McAusland  BRE  Boyle

Love  Docherty  Geggan  Cardle

El Bakhtaoui  McAllister

Subs: McGurn, Dunlop, Talbot, Ferry, Falkingham, Sutherland, Moffat

Not seen a better right back play against Ayr and Devlins form pre injury just gets him the right back slot.  McAusland is still the best centre back there has been in this league and that gets him in my team alongside BRE who McAusland helped a lot.  Prefer Boyle as a left back to Talbot, however they are pretty similar.  Love has had a great season and deserves recognition in the TOTY.  Doc and Geggan are the 2 outstanding centre mids and Cardle has been in fine form.  Strikers are the top 2 in the division, however Shane Sutherland is unlucky not to be in there, looks a good find for Peterhead.

The money argument is a funny one. We had a bigger budget last season, and we never once looked like a team that was capable of being promoted.

The money argument is a funny one. We had a bigger budget last season, and we never once looked like a team that was capable of being promoted.

The money argument can't be ignored, but it's lessened due to the comparison being with PT teams instead of PT teams.

We're fishing in different ponds when looking at signings. DAFC will be lowest FT professional club and therefore more limited and looking at the lower end of FT players whereas the rest will be looking at a different market entirely.

There is always going to be a slight crossover at the bottom end of the FT players and the top PT players in the country. 

The money argument can't be ignored, but it's lessened due to the comparison being with PT teams instead of PT teams.

We're fishing in different ponds when looking at signings. DAFC will be lowest FT professional club and therefore more limited and looking at the lower end of FT players whereas the rest will be looking at a different market entirely.

There is always going to be a slight crossover at the bottom end of the FT players and the top PT players in the country. 

My argument is that - as much as a greater budget is an advantage - it is by no means a free pass to walk the league. Appropriate signings need to be made, as well as tactics and other decisions made throughout the season. Johnston got all of these absolutely spot on for 95% of the season, so he most definitely deserves credit for having us win the league with such ease, as we showed all too well last season that a big budget means f**k all if the finances and facilities are used incorrectly. 

Archived