The long slow deterioration of Celtic PLC

Hello, long time occasional lurker here. Congratulations first of all to our opponents for what was a very fine performance yesterday. They looked much more comfortable on the ball and much more of a footballing side than we did.

As for Celtic, I am ashamed of the empty, soulless, joyless backwater our PLC board have turned our club into over the last 12 years.

Changing the manager won't work. We need Transformational Change at Celtic Park and that only happens by changing the leadership. Lawwell and his clique have got to go.

The majority of Celtic supporters are to blame also. They are gloryhunters who are so easily bought off with shiny cups here and there, no matter how poorly won. For years they have turned a blind eye to Lawwell's failings.

It's time to call for major change. This Celtic team winning the league will be embarrassing more than anything. The thought of seeing them celebrating is just cringe material.

Celts For Change!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a crying shame that you lot have let us off the hook this season. Aberdeen should be winning this league.

If you want to look at issues with your club, it's maybe that some of your fans think it's a crying shame that you're winning the league.

Calm down pal.

Yes, it's a crying shame for Scottish football that this Celtic team have been let off the hook. These players don't deserve a league medal and it would be better for football and for justice if Aberdeen won the league.

It would also be better for Celtic in the long term as it might force change.

Just enjoy the win guys. We fought the good fight but you were just too good for us in an even fight. Fair play bhoys, and I hope that two time title winner Ronny Deila is rewarded with a new contract. You don't see enough loyalty in modern football so fair play to Celtic in finally giving a manager a proper chance.

Calm down pal.

Yes, it's a crying shame for Scottish football that this Celtic team have been let off the hook. These players don't deserve a league medal and it would be better for football and for justice if Aberdeen won the league.

It would also be better for Celtic in the long term as it might force change.

Stop being so dramatic.  You are top of the league because you are a better team than us.  We are a good side but lack the consistency to win the league.  

Look at the day you went to Kilmarnock and we went to Motherwell.  You found a last minute winner as we collapsed and lost 2-1.  Not for the first time.  

So for that reason no it would not be 'justice' if we won the league.  

The day I support my team and think it's a crying shame if we win the league is the day I give up football.

I said this on the other thread but I thought that Rangers looked like a team with a coherent idea about how they were going to approach the game and it worked for them.  They reminded me a bit of Caley, with the emphasis on possession, and Celtic tried to press them but Rangers were solid and played their way out of trouble, for the most part.  They probably didn't create as many chances as they'd have liked but they were missing two or three of their best attacking players.

Celtic looked to me like they were too reliant on a few of their top players producing rather than playing as a team.  Maybe they've kind of slipped into that way of playing because they've got guys like Griffiths, Johansen last season etc who are a lot better than most teams their playing so they don't have to have the same discipline and tactical nous.  Celtic have effectively won the league just by being so much stronger in depth and having a few real quality players, rather than being a coherent team.

This could also explain why Celtic have been so poor in one-off domestic games - they lost to us in last easons Scottish cup semi-final, lost to County in this seasons league cup semi, lost ot Rangers yesterday, have lost twice to Aberdeen this season.  If you get the drop on Celtic and put them under pressure they are beatable.  Their European record is also poor, having been consistently eliminated by sides with fewer resources.

I think that Celtic took a gamble in appointing a coach from a different background and different experience in Delia but it hasn't really worked out.  They could now be facing up to a Rangers team coming up fancying their chances of knocking Celtic off their perch.  Difficulty is, how do the board react to this? Mo Johnston said yesterday that Rangers reminded him of Barcelona which is a bit much but could it be that there's a parallel with how the two giant Spanish teams have developed - Rangers with a collective philosophy and focus, Celtic looking short term with big buys and throwing money at their problems?

Archived