RAW & Smackdown in Glasgow

Your having a laugh if you think WWE are manoeuvring a multi-billion dollar global industry around dates to stick over a European indie promotion!

You'd think so but you'd be staggered at the lengths WWE will go to be petty. Ring of Honor are no threat to them whatsoever but they went through a period of organising house shows in the same locations for weeks.

There's a reason RAW will be in Glasgow instead of London or Manchester. I think it's great news really as it will be a really fun show live, plus Dallas can get the siege mentality going again.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things seem, from the outside anyway, to be changing. You just have to look at WWE shining a light on indie promotions with the Global Cruiserweight Series being filmed at places like Progress to see that. 

IMO, WWE will have chosen Glasgow for a number of reasons. Firstly, the house shows (such as this coming Saturday) are regularly sell-outs. Secondly, their first NXT tour in the UK saw Glasgow bring in the largest crowd and with this being the first show from Scotland they can fill three hours with cheesy gimmicks. 

The fact ICW have a show a few weeks later will be of almost zero importance to them.

I might go if anyone else I know is up for it. I can't say the idea of sitting through 3 hours of Raw plus Superstars and whatever else thrills me though.

I look forward to seeing how many Scottish stereotypes and ill-judged Old Firm refererences they cram in.

Things seem, from the outside anyway, to be changing. You just have to look at WWE shining a light on indie promotions with the Global Cruiserweight Series being filmed at places like Progress to see that. 

IMO, WWE will have chosen Glasgow for a number of reasons. Firstly, the house shows (such as this coming Saturday) are regularly sell-outs. Secondly, their first NXT tour in the UK saw Glasgow bring in the largest crowd and with this being the first show from Scotland they can fill three hours with cheesy gimmicks. 

The fact ICW have a show a few weeks later will be of almost zero importance to them.

They'd get sell outs anywhere else in the UK. They just got a £1 million gate for the RAW this past Monday. You're naive to how the WWE works if you honestly believe the ICW show had nothing to do with their decision.

They'd get sell outs anywhere else in the UK. They just got a £1 million gate for the RAW this past Monday. You're naive to how the WWE works if you honestly believe the ICW show had nothing to do with their decision.

WWE have always had a horrendous attitude towards potential competition. So you can't blame anyone for coming to that conclusion. I don't buy it, but it's not ridiculous.

They'd have made more money by holding it in London or Manchester, yet chose Glasgow. The tour was always going to happen in November so that part is coincidental but the decision to host RAW and Smackdown in Glasgow is at least partly to do with ICW.

As I said though, it's good for ICW. You can really go off on them for trying to crush the little guys and taking their best talent.

I was sitting nodding along to this until I burst out laughing at the last sentence. 

I am very interested to hear how this has anything to do with ICW?

I think it'll be a good thing for ICW. A lot of folk will be at their their first ever live show for Raw and Smackdown and might be keen to attend another live show as soon as possible. Wrestling will also get more mainstream coverage in the Scottish media than it's probably ever had.

ICW and other promotions should maybe try and arrange their own shows in Glasgow on the weekend before Raw to capitalise on all the wrestling fans in the city.

I was sitting nodding along to this until I burst out laughing at the last sentence.

I am very interested to hear how this has anything to do with ICW?

WWE have never responded well to potential competition. It may well be a coincidence but to act like it's not even possible is naive at best.

Archived