Well done ed city

Mary Hinge

Excuse my ignorance, what's the beef with meadow bank thistle and Livvy? (Despite my agreement that Livvy are the worst club about!

It was all 20 years ago and apart from a few noble exceptions no-one gives a toss because the lovely West Lothian club have been such a success, winning the League Cup, playing in Europe, going bankrupt 3 times etc. and it was only Meadowbank who died but it's a cautionary tale: 

In a nutshell, Bill Hunter took over the club, had a share issue, didn't offer any shares to the Thistle fans, was then approached by Livingston Development Corporation to moving the club, the majority of the fans protested against this, Bill said "f**k the fans" and the club died. I'd be surprised if more than 10 regular Thistle fans moved west, the rest either went to watch Hibs or Hearts or didn't watch football at all as Meadowbank had been their team. Some of us got involved with Edinburgh City and here we are. 

I sometimes think Meadowbank Thistle have been airbrushed out of history, a fate that seems to have befallen Clydebank too- unlike Thistle, Clydebank actually played in the Premier Division.  It could be argued that if the Livingston move had been disallowed there might still be a Clydebank F.C. today. 

If rumours are true there wouldn't be a Cowdenbeath FC playing today in Fife if Donald Findlay and others hadn't come to their rescue as a non-league club were apparently going to buy them and their League membership over a few years ago. There's not much to stop this happening to other clubs. 

As 20 years have passed now, and the West Lothian club have gone through several changes of ownership, some have grudgingly learned to live with Livingston FC as West Germany learned to live with East Germany under the policy of "ostpolitik" (you're turning into Stuart Cosgove, Tam, careful now) As City played in the East of Scotland League and then the Lowland League Livingston weren't really relevant. This might change if we get into the League but I don't think we'll be playing them in a competitive match for some time unless in a Cup competition 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse my ignorance, what's the beef with meadow bank thistle and Livvy? (Despite my agreement that Livvy are the worst club about!)

Meadowbank Thistle and Livingston are one and the same. The club moved to Livingston because they could not get a following of any consequence at Meadowbank even when they came close to promotion (much of this being down to the unpopularity of Meadowbank as a place to watch football). The 18 mile move to Livingston (a quarter hour train journey) made on paper good financial sense, however the Meadowbank Thistle fans were furious.

Meadowbank fans liked to compare their plight to that of Wimbledon's removal to Milton Keynes, which is absurd: the latter being a 78 mile move of a recent FA Cup winner & the boardroom extermination of an existing Milton Keynes club to provide the pretext to what was certainly a case of "franchise football".

That no continuing Meadowbank Thistle of any consequence rose from the ashes says it all.

Meadowbank Thistle and Livingston are one and the same. The club moved to Livingston because they could not get a following of any consequence at Meadowbank even when they came close to promotion (much of this being down to the unpopularity of Meadowbank as a place to watch football). The 18 mile move to Livingston made on paper good financial sense, however the Meadowbank Thistle fans were furious at what looked like an attempt at franchise footba

I'm not particularly sure Livingston's crowds this season are any better than those Thistle would have had in a similar position despite the fact that they've been rooted in the New Town for 2 decades. 

I'm not particularly sure Livingston's crowds this season are any better than those Thistle would have had in a similar position despite the fact that they've been rooted in the New Town for 2 decades.

The problem livingston have tam,is right from bill hunter onwards it's been one shitehouse after the next in charge.There is potential there,for there was 2500 at the survival game v QoS at the end of last season,the reason the locals are staying away is because they are heart sick of one buffoon then the next running the club down.Looking back now I do feel sorry for the ex Meadowbank fans,I know a few who still go,it was out of order what happened.Strange thing is with the creation of the LL now,hunter and the ldc could have created a new club and started up in the LL and left Meadowbank alone,I suppose we'll never know. Best of luck to City in the playoffs,really hope they can make it up into league 2,where I'm sure they'll do well!!

The problem livingston have tam,is right from bill hunter onwards it's been one shitehouse after the next in charge.There is potential there,for there was 2500 at the survival game v QoS at the end of last season,the reason the locals are staying away is because they are heart sick of one buffoon then the next running the club down.Looking back now I do feel sorry for the ex Meadowbank fans,I know a few who still go,it was out of order what happened.Strange thing is with the creation of the LL now,hunter and the ldc could have created a new club and started up in the LL and left Meadowbank alone,I suppose we'll never know. Best of luck to City in the playoffs,really hope they can make it up into league 2,where I'm sure they'll do well!!

come off it. The 1% of Livingston's population who give the remotest of shits about the club are in effect being subsidised by the West Lothian taxpayer. Most of the rest of the town's population continue to support the teams they supported before Mr Blobby happened along- Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and local West Lothian junior teams.

the club is an unsustainable parasite, perennially insolvent, and the franchising should never have been allowed in the first place. By the looks of recent stories it won't be too long before the amber fake is finally tied up in a bag and chucked in the canal. It really can't happen quick enough.

come off it. The 1% of Livingston's population who give the remotest of shits about the club are in effect being subsidised by the West Lothian taxpayer. Most of the rest of the town's population continue to support the teams they supported before Mr Blobby happened along- Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and local West Lothian junior teams.

the club is an unsustainable parasite, perennially insolvent, and the franchising should never have been allowed in the first place. By the looks of recent stories it won't be too long before the amber fake is finally tied up in a bag and chucked in the canal. It really can't happen quick enough.

I've seen your posts in the far past on here relating to LFC ivo and your latest comes as no surprise,quite clearly their whole story has got under your skin like it has a few others on P&B. Your entitled to your opinion like anyone else on here and so am I. From my side of the fence let me say this,as you can see from my avatar my first love is Deveronvale fc,my garage is a shrine to all that is Vale,PRP,the Valley Crew etc.I salute all small town/village club supporters of all sides as ours is a constant struggle. Being in West Lothian has made it difficult to attend a lot of Vale games each season so I've supplemented that with going to Livi and Whitburn games. I enjoy both,being local I know quite a lot of what is to know of LFC,more than most on here.The council put nowt into LFC now,they days are long gone,LFC have to pay the council rent money for use of Almondvale. You are right bout the people of livingston,they have by and large turned their back on LFC,because the fans I stand with,the ones I know personally a lot are from the town's and villages roundabout,ie west calder,east calder,uphall,broxburn,kirknewton,bathgate. There is a place for LFC in scottish football,not in the canal but probably league 1 and part time football,as there is enough interest in west lothian for a senior team. Infact there's room enough for 2 senior sides thanks to our growing population,step forward hopefully in the not to distant future Linlithgow Rose and that very club ivo will have the likes of your club and many others in league 2 diving for cover!!!

I know quite a lot of what is to know of LFC,more than most on here.The council put nowt into LFC now,they days are long gone,LFC have to pay the council rent money for use of Almondvale.

a fair market rent or a heavily subsidised rent? the latter I think you'll find. Therein lies the ongoing ratepayer subsidy for a club hardly anyone cares about. And, a club which continues to haemorrhage shedloads of other people's cash it has no intention of repaying. Every honour the franchise ever "won" was achieved by financial doping with other peoples' money that was largely never repaid.

anyway enough of a derail, on your last point, I'd be delighted to see Linlithgow in the league in the fullness of time as I know they would have played their way in fairly. Something the hateful franchise that killed off Meadowbank, never did.

you seem like a decent sort who enjoys his football so sorry if first post came across as a bit snarky. I can't abide franchise football be it Livingston or the club now calling itself Airdrieonians. But Scottish league football has always been a corrupt old trollop for sale to whichever passing shyster so stupid me for being an idealist I suppose.

</back to well done Edinburgh City>

Meadowbank Thistle and Livingston are one and the same. The club moved to Livingston because they could not get a following of any consequence at Meadowbank even when they came close to promotion (much of this being down to the unpopularity of Meadowbank as a place to watch football). The 18 mile move to Livingston (a quarter hour train journey) made on paper good financial sense, however the Meadowbank Thistle fans were furious.

Meadowbank fans liked to compare their plight to that of Wimbledon's removal to Milton Keynes, which is absurd: the latter being a 78 mile move of a recent FA Cup winner & the boardroom extermination of an existing Milton Keynes club to provide the pretext to what was certainly a case of "franchise football".

That no continuing Meadowbank Thistle of any consequence rose from the ashes says it all.

The comparison to Wimbledon FC is completely accurate - I'm not sure what the fact that Milton Keynes is a bit further away and Wimbledon had more success than Meadowbank has to do with the fundamental difference. The basic fact is that both clubs were moved to a different town and renamed - a franchising is a franchising regardless of distance or club history...

a fair market rent or a heavily subsidised rent? the latter I think you'll find. Therein lies the ongoing ratepayer subsidy for a club hardly anyone cares about. And, a club which continues to haemorrhage shedloads of other people's cash it has no intention of repaying. Every honour the franchise ever "won" was achieved by financial doping with other peoples' money that was largely never repaid.

anyway enough of a derail, on your last point, I'd be delighted to see Linlithgow in the league in the fullness of time as I know they would have played their way in fairly. Something the hateful franchise that killed off Meadowbank, never did.

you seem like a decent sort who enjoys his football so sorry if first post came across as a bit snarky. I can't abide franchise football be it Livingston or the club now calling itself Airdrieonians. But Scottish league football has always been a corrupt old trollop for sale to whichever passing shyster so stupid me for being an idealist I suppose.

</back to well done Edinburgh City>

No worries ivo,I catch your drift. Yer right about scottish football,it is a state from the top to the bottom,but to the powers that be,we are mere fools,what do we know. May well see you on my travels with Vale ivo,if we get use in the scottish cup,you'll be glad after yer escape last season it's no in the SHFL.Aw the best for next season!!!

It was all 20 years ago and apart from a few noble exceptions no-one gives a toss because the lovely West Lothian club have been such a success, winning the League Cup, playing in Europe, going bankrupt 3 times etc. and it was only Meadowbank who died but it's a cautionary tale: 

In a nutshell, Bill Hunter took over the club, had a share issue, didn't offer any shares to the Thistle fans, was then approached by Livingston Development Corporation to moving the club, the majority of the fans protested against this, Bill said "f**k the fans" and the club died. I'd be surprised if more than 10 regular Thistle fans moved west, the rest either went to watch Hibs or Hearts or didn't watch football at all as Meadowbank had been their team. Some of us got involved with Edinburgh City and here we are. 

I sometimes think Meadowbank Thistle have been airbrushed out of history, a fate that seems to have befallen Clydebank too- unlike Thistle, Clydebank actually played in the Premier Division.  It could be argued that if the Livingston move had been disallowed there might still be a Clydebank F.C. today. 

If rumours are true there wouldn't be a Cowdenbeath FC playing today in Fife if Donald Findlay and others hadn't come to their rescue as a non-league club were apparently going to buy them and their League membership over a few years ago. There's not much to stop this happening to other clubs. 

As 20 years have passed now, and the West Lothian club have gone through several changes of ownership, some have grudgingly learned to live with Livingston FC as West Germany learned to live with East Germany under the policy of "ostpolitik" (you're turning into Stuart Cosgove, Tam, careful now) As City played in the East of Scotland League and then the Lowland League Livingston weren't really relevant. This might change if we get into the League but I don't think we'll be playing them in a competitive match for some time unless in a Cup competition 

and 1 of those moeadowbank fans ended up at shire. Brian the bus. he has no luck. supporter ferranti, meadowbank now shire. going by this scenario and his luck, shire are doomed lol

Archived