Best current World XI

Valderrama

This is something I do with my mates every so often when we're discussing football - naming the best current team, made up of players of your choice based on form, performances or just pure preference. Starting it as a topic in the hope it stirs up some good old debating as to "who's better than who and why" and such like nonsense. 

Here's mine, in a 4-3-3 formation:

GK: De Gea

RB: Florenzi

CB: Godin

CB: Hummels

LB: Maxwell

DM: Kante

CM: Pogba

CM: Rakitic

RF: Suarez

CF: Ibrahimovic

LF: Ronaldo

Feel free to tear the arse out of that one.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erm....have you heard of Leo Messi? He's quite good you know

Erm... did you read the post?"Based on form, performances or just pure preference". While I much, much prefer Messi to Ronaldo, the latter's form shades it for me

GK : Neuer

RB : Alves

CB : Hummels

CB : Pique

LB : Marcelo

CM : Pogba

CM : Modric

CM : Iniesta

LF : Neymar

RF : Messi

CF : Suarez

Really struggled for a RB. I wanted a 4 or 5 man midfield, but you can't not have that front three IMO.

Erm... did you read the post?"Based on form, performances or just pure preference". While I much, much prefer Messi to Ronaldo, the latter's form shades it for me

Aye what about Ibrahimovic though? Messi has scored 40 goals in an injury hit season, its staggering anyone wouldn't include him in a world 11. Any your opinion so fair enough.

GK : Neuer

RB : Alves

CB : Hummels

CB : Pique

LB : Marcelo

CM : Pogba

CM : Modric

CM : Iniesta

LF : Neymar

RF : Messi

CF : Suarez

Really struggled for a RB. I wanted a 4 or 5 man midfield, but you can't not have that front three IMO.

I actually think Zabaleta is as good a RB as there is in the world just now, top player.

People picking Pique make me fucking sick. 

Pique's a fucking brilliant player imo, if there are any CB's in the world better than him there can't be many. Wonderful player.

Actually, people picking Hummels are kidding themselves on, I feel the way about that that you do about Pique to a lesser extent, top player on the ball but not quite off it.

I think Pique, Ramos and Godin are clearly the three best CB's on the planet, and Godin hasn't the longevity or quality on the ball of the other two.

If Kompany could stay fit he would also be in that...erm company. And Thiago Silva if he hadn't let his level drop a bit recently.

Modern centre backs dont even come close to the world class ones of old, even the standard of full backs has dipped.

Varane looks like he might change that once he peaks though.

Aye what about Ibrahimovic though? Messi has scored 40 goals in an injury hit season, its staggering anyone wouldn't include him in a world 11. Any your opinion so fair enough.

Yeah I see your point. Ibra is staying in no matter what for me. I'm his biggest fan, and think he's the most exciting and inventive player of the last 15 years. I should have put Messi instead of Ronaldo though. I fucking hate Ronaldo, I don't know why I chose him over Messi.

You're right though, it is about opinions. You questioned my Zlatan addition, yet promptly went on to suggest there's no better RB than Zabaleta. He's class, no doubt. But that's just as, if not more controversial than suggesting Ibrahimovic.

GK: Gianluigi Buffon

RB: Dani Alves

CB: Leonardo Bonucci

CB: Gerard Pique

LB: David Alaba

CM: Paul Pogba

CM: Arturo Vidal

AM: Cristiano Ronaldo

AM: Lionel Messi

AM: Thomas Muller

CF: Gonzalo Higuain

Really struggled for a RB, tbh.