League Cup 16/17 Draw

harry94

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In theory you could play someone x4 in league, x2 in playoffs, x2 in Scottish Cup, x2 in League Cup, x1 in Challenge Cup for a total of 11.

I suppose it could be someone you play in Renfrewshire Cup, Stirlingshire Cup or whatever for a total of 12, actually.

Odds are very slim of anything approaching that, however.

Is it the top two that go through? When do the teams in Europe come into it? What dates will the games be played?

Sorry if this has been discussed, went back a page or two and looked at the SPFL site. Saw nothing.

Is it the top two that go through? When do the teams in Europe come into it? What dates will the games be played?

Sorry if this has been discussed, went back a page or two and looked at the SPFL site. Saw nothing.

The 8 group winners and the four best runners up.

The next round. They and the four highest seeded round 1 progressors will be seeded for the last 16.

Group games(subject to tv change) are 16th, 20th, 23rd, 27th and 30th July.

You're in the best position being at the centre of your region with several nearby clubs, of course.

I wasn't particularly criticising the settled system, btw, although I thought there might have been merit in having 4 regions which would still mean some variety each season. However, it is true to say all the quotes from Doncaster were constantly talking about derbies, local matches and so on while this is simply the Challenge Cup regionalisation system (with that added oddity of Dumbarton's predicament). All it will really do is avoid trips from one end to the other. They never sell the Challenge Cup draw as providing derbies and local matches, hence my point that it's proven another PR soundbyte.

The Challenge Cup draw only provides one fixture per club, not four.  There is almost zero chance of there not being at least a couple of local derbies from this draw.

Sectional games are Saturday 16th, Wednesday 20th, Saturday 23rd, Wednesday 27th, Saturday 30th July.

Final is Sunday 27th November. Dates for preceding knockouts not confirmed, AFAICS.

(Presumably will be Last 16 - August midweek; QFs - September midweek; SFs - October weekend?).

Only section winner are guaranteed to progress. They join 4 best runners-up, and 4 CL/EL clubs, in Last 16.

They and the four highest seeded round 1 progressors will be seeded for the last 16.

Interesting. Announcement in autumn said Last 16 would be unseeded.

Also in Hibs you've got a team which will have finished below many of the clubs progressing from the sections.

You're in the best position being at the centre of your region with several nearby clubs, of course.

I wasn't particularly criticising the settled system, btw, although I thought there might have been merit in having 4 regions which would still mean some variety each season. However, it is true to say all the quotes from Doncaster were constantly talking about derbies, local matches and so on while this is simply the Challenge Cup regionalisation system (with that added oddity of Dumbarton's predicament). All it will really do is avoid trips from one end to the other. They never sell the Challenge Cup draw as providing derbies and local matches, hence my point that it's proven another PR soundbyte.

Disagree Hibee. Like CK said there's 4 other teams in the group there's a big chance of a derby. Otherwise what are they supposed to do? Just shove us in a group with the 3 Angus clubs year in year out and likewise with other teams?

I'd like to think SPFL will take this into account when organising the fixtures, although I'd have much preferred there to be four regions.

They can do that easily enough if it's Dumbarton, St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Stirling & East Fife in a group. If Dumbarton end up with Ross County, Elgin, Peterhead & Cove, they can't ensure the midweek trips are shorter.

Anyway, Dumbarton's unfortunate predicament aside, I like it. Four regions would have meant a lack of variety season on season, this still retains a regional element without meaning we'll all get the same teams year after year. Good.

Sympathy for Dumbarton, as their ground is actually further south than Cappielow. Wrong side of the river in the SPFL's eyes, though.

Further South by a smidgeon but far more East meaning a shorter journey to the North of Scotland.

Disagree Hibee. Like CK said there's 4 other teams in the group there's a big chance of a derby. Otherwise what are they supposed to do? Just shove us in a group with the 3 Angus clubs year in year out and likewise with other teams?

Appreciate what you're saying and you're correct the chances of it are higher. I hope you appreciate what I'm saying as well though as I don't think the claims expressed when they announced the new format fully match-up with what they have gone with. Ditto if the Last 16 is now going to stay seeded.

It will be interesting to see if the schedule is part of the draw or whether we get the groups tomorrow but the fixtures next week i.e. so they can load up the midweeks with the shorter-distance games. I remember Michael Johnstone interviewed on STV waxing about the fans having "short trips on sunny weeknights"/similar.

From a Berwick point of view some nearby and winnable games would be good. Don't see much chance of progressing with 2/3 full-timers in group.

They can do that easily enough if it's Dumbarton, St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Stirling & East Fife in a group. If Dumbarton end up with Ross County, Elgin, Peterhead & Cove, they can't ensure the midweek trips are shorter.

Even still, there are ways they can manipulate it to minimise midweek travel. Two of the five matchdays are Wednesdays and three are Saturdays, so you give Dumbarton their bye on one of the Wednesdays and have derbies Ross County/Elgin and Peterhead/Cove.

Then on the other Wednesday have Dumbarton at home to Ross County (Full time club so can afford a midweek trip)

Even still, there are ways they can manipulate it to minimise midweek travel. Two of the five matchdays are Wednesdays and three are Saturdays, so you give Dumbarton their bye on one of the Wednesdays and have derbies Ross County/Elgin and Peterhead/Cove.

Then on the other Wednesday have Dumbarton at home to Ross County (Full time club so can afford a midweek trip)

Presumably draw will at least decide who's H/A?

That would be far too sensible an idea to use.

I'd imagine, on a sunny Saturday in July, we might bring a decent number to Brechin or Arbroath. Cracking days out, and pre-season optimism would encourage people to head up. Then having us at home to the biggest team in the group on a Wednesday would, perhaps, draw the biggest crowd.

I fully expect us to be handed Elgin on Wednesday night. I would also fully expect the travelling support to be less than 10.

Archived