League Cup 16/17 Draw

harry94

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lord, so much talk of Dumbarton!

Can we move on and let the 40 or so people it effects and talk about something else.

The format isn't quite what I expected. I'm not sure why a second group of seeds is needed? Well to help bigger teams through obviously but it would be better with only one group of seeds and still achieve the desired effect.

Can we move on and let the 40 or so people it effects and talk about something else.

The format isn't quite what I expected. I'm not sure why a second group of seeds is needed? Well to help bigger teams through obviously but it would be better with only one group of seeds and still achieve the desired effect.

Piss off you soft southern tink.

A bit longer? Come on its about a 3 hour drive from Falkirk to Dingwall. That's easily double the longest journey in the south region I'd say and it would be even longer from Dumbarton.

Falkirk to Dingwall is easily double the length of Greenock to Berwick, aye? If Falkirk were in the South region you could have a 3 hour drive to Stranraer.

Should Ross County & Caley Thistle just be in a two team group by themselves so no central belt clubs have long trips, ditto Stranraer & Queen of the South (Dumfries to Stranraer being a 90 minute trip itself)?

Falkirk to Dingwall is easily double the length of Greenock to Berwick, aye? If Falkirk were in the South region you could have a 3 hour drive to Stranraer.

Should Ross County & Caley Thistle just be in a two team group by themselves so no central belt clubs have long trips, ditto Stranraer & Queen of the South (Dumfries to Stranraer being a 90 minute trip itself)?

Cough, Annan, ;)

Ideal draw would be Killie, Stranraer, Annan and Edinburgh city.

Any 2 of Killie, Stranraer and Edinburgh City away.

I'd rather have Motherwell than Kilmarnock as it's so long since we played them, though granted it may offer less chance of progress.

Edinburgh City would be good though it is only three years since we played there. Would be happy enough with Stranraer and Annan too. We haven't played East Stirling in 15 years either. Any of them would be fine.

Cough, Annan, ;)

I'd rather have Motherwell than Kilmarnock as it's so long since we played them, though granted it may offer less chance of progress.

Edinburgh City would be good though it is only three years since we played there. Would be happy enough with Stranraer and Annan too. We haven't played East Stirling in 15 years either. Any of them would be fine.

Agreed. Hopefully some good away trips and hopefully at the weekend so i can make them.

Affects, you Inverclyde illiterate !

Dumbarton are victims of their own success. The SPFL probably expected Livi to finish ahead of Dumbarton.

If Dumbarton had finish 9th instead of 8th then they would be in the South group and Livi would be in the North group.

In future maybe make the top team seeded and have the 2nd and 3rd teams thrown together in the same pot?

f**k me, there's a statement I never thought I'd live to see :thumsup2

Missed this;

Any game ending in a draw will go straight to a penalties, with the winner of the penalty shoot-out awarded a bonus point.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36387760- BBC Sport

So a penalty win is 2 points and a penalty lose is 1,

Think this will encourage negative play for smaller visiting teams,

hold out for the draw and maybe sneak two points.

Thinking seems to be that these bonus points will avoid teams being eliminated with games to spare, given only the section winner is guaranteed to progress. Whether that's actually mathematically likely I'm not sure - I have to say it didn't jump out as such for myself. From the perspective of part-time teams, I think it could actually be a motivation to be defensive to possibly protect 1pt then get a shot at another, especially in away ties.

We should just have a Central Section and a Bumkins Section then − those of us living in civilisation can scoot about and get the games out the way leaving everyone else to sort it out amoungst themselves ... they're used to living in the sticks anyhoo!

At least folk are talking about the competition for once so job done I guess.

Would like Morton (not played them in a while), Ayr (obvs), and two teams I've never seen us play competitively - Queens Park and Edinburgh City I'd take.

But we'll get Rangers. No question.

My main reservation with the format remains the likelihood of dead rubbers at the end of the Group Stage.

One solution would be to chuck the other four runner-ups, third and fourth best fourth placed sides from the groups into the Challenge Cup. Not sure why they're keeping the two tournaments separate when it would at least give some degree of incentive to group stage matches and the Challenge Cup is generating no sponsorship interest.

Once Sevco eventually spend their way into European football you'd be hard-pressed to find too many obvious choices for BT Sport to televise though. It's 100x better to have large regions to avoiding playing the same teams all the time than hand-picking ties, but the 'lots of derbies' claim that was being made is now clearly bollocks. 

We should just have a Central Section and a Bumkins Section then − those of us living in civilisation can scoot about and get the games out the way leaving everyone else to sort it out amoungst themselves ... they're used to living in the sticks anyhoo!

At least folk are talking about the competition for once so job done I guess.

We already have a Central section: the teams accessible from Glasgow Central station are all in one section; bumpkin destinations like Falkirk are overwhelmingly in the teuchter section where they belong. 

Archived