The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

Chance you lads could make the play offs this year?

I think there's a fair chance, but it'll come down to recruitment. If we can get some decent strikers in I'd be confident.

One thing is for sure though, I think we'll be a really organised, hard working side. As soon as Rae came in, we instantly looked like we had a shape about us (hardly ever strayed from 4-4-2) and the work rate improved immensely, even if fitness and player ability wasn't always there.

Should be an entertaining league, genuinely think most teams will think they have a shout of making the playoffs.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's gone shite since Morton fans got over the euphoria of ending their 'superb', 'glorious' season having drawn one more game than us. I almost miss their hilarious hashtags, memes, gifs and jokes about spoon-burning.

Folk on B&WA suggesting we could be getting Shankland as part of a player+cash deal for John Baird. I'd take that. He could be good for 20 goals in a top-four team at this level.

Assuming you mean Jack Baird and not that wee Falkirk fud. That would be a horrendous deal by Aberdeen. I rate Jack Baird and think he will be a decent defender in years to come however Shankland has a lot more potential. I think he is really fancied at Aberdeen, certainly going by what they have said.

I can't see Aberdeen letting Shankland going on a permanent just yet. I would love to have Shankland back. If Aberdeen were interested in any of our defenders I think they would probably be in for Naismith rather than Baird.

Just read the thread on B&WA, doesn't specifically state it's Baird, so could be Naismith. There were rumours that Kieran Duffie - who I think is a right back - had been training with us.

Assuming you mean Jack Baird and not that wee Falkirk fud. That would be a horrendous deal by Aberdeen. I rate Jack Baird and think he will be a decent defender in years to come however Shankland has a lot more potential. I think he is really fancied at Aberdeen, certainly going by what they have said.

I can't see Aberdeen letting Shankland going on a permanent just yet. I would love to have Shankland back. If Aberdeen were interested in any of our defenders I think they would probably be in for Naismith rather than Baird.

Ha, yes, I meant Jack! Fuxake. 

ulysses - is Naismith that good? Like, top flight runners-up good? I'd struggle to see him attracting any sort of fee after being out for a season.

Ha, yes, I meant Jack! Fuxake.

ulysses - is Naismith that good? Like, top flight runners-up good? I'd struggle to see him attracting any sort of fee after being out for a season.

I don't see any of our defenders as likely to command a fee to be honest. Wouldn't like to lose any of them, though.

I don't see any of our defenders as likely to command a fee to be honest. Wouldn't like to lose any of them, though.

Neither would I but I'd swap any one of them for Shankland on a permanent deal.

I heard a premiership team were sniffing about Naisy in January.

We'll miss Watson but a fully fit Naismith softens the blow, he can chip in with goals too and provide a real threat from the right back position. Watching him bomb up and down the right hand side of the pitch is a joy to behold.

Can't see many being interested in Baird but I think he has potential. Good back up for Webster and whoever.

Speaking of which, I heard Alex Rae mention McAusland on the radio, how Dunfermline were offering way more than we could match. Didn't say we were in for him (from what I gathered) but he was surprised how much Dunfermline can offer.

It's nearly June and the weather has been decent for a while.

Where are our new Strips and why have the replica versions not been on sale?

Very poor by my Club.

If you need another striker, can I suggest you blow a decent chunk of your budget on Andy Barrowman? 

I had ignorantly marked Alex Rae down as a bit of a knuckle-dragger, based on his robust performances as a player. Thought he came across really well on Off The Ball - you sound in good hands.  

If you need another striker, can I suggest you blow a decent chunk of your budget on Andy Barrowman? 

I had ignorantly marked Alex Rae down as a bit of a knuckle-dragger, based on his robust performances as a player. Thought he came across really well on Off The Ball - you sound in good hands.  

I think that was the general mood about him when it was announced, I certainly thought he was your generic knuckle dragging ex old firm player when I listened to him on Clyde 1 but as soon as he became the manager he transformed into professional mode and has proved me wrong. I like Farrell too, you can tell just by listening to them they have a close bond. Certainly wouldn't like to piss them off though!

Different pressure on them next season though, they need to make the play offs minimum. They done well to come in, put out the fire and grind out results and converting our awful home form but they have to build on that and they'll have no excuses because they have free reign to sign their own players and build their own team.

Going to be a really competitive league next year.

New home strip is apparently a pin stripe number.

Could be seeing something like these old ones:

st_mirren_1966-1967.gifst_mirren_1968-a.gifst_mirren_1984-1986-ag.gif

The cup winning kit.  :wub:

Well given the 30th anniversary of the 87 cup win falls in at the end of next year we may well see a replica in honor of that, or at least a nod towards it.

You have got to be careful with pin striped tops though, can easily go wrong. We had a couple of belters in the mid 90's, would be nicer without the daft sponsor.

post-13-0-01558600-1464197536_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-05421600-1464197597_thumb.jpg

Well given the 30th anniversary of the 87 cup win falls in at the end of next year we may well see a replica in honor of that, or at least a nod towards it.

You have got to be careful with pin striped tops though, can easily go wrong. We had a couple of belters in the mid 90's, would be nicer without the daft sponsor.

st-mirren-home-football-shirt-1996-1997-s_18532_1.jpg

season-19961997-st-mirren-jim-dick-in-action-870301.jpg

I loved both those kits. Granted they weren't traditional St. Mirren kits but they were both crackers. Even the sponsor was OK as it was unusual for a time when it was normally a big felt sponsor front and centre.

I loved both those kits. Granted they weren't traditional St. Mirren kits but they were both crackers. Even the sponsor was OK as it was unusual for a time when it was normally a big felt sponsor front and centre.

Yeah I loved them too. It's ok to change it up once in a while, would like to see an Ajax style top sometime soon, the Blackburn effort in the 90's was decent too.

Two of my favourite strips those. Don't suppose anyone has an adult medium sized one gathering dust, that they'd like to sell me?

Sadly not, it's worth keeping an eye on e-bay though. Sometimes you find the odd gem on there. I got the Scotland Euro 96 top for £15, perfect condition. The difference in quality between then and now is incredible. Theres no chances the tops these days will last 20 years.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-ADMIRAL-St-Mirren-1996-1997-Football-Shirt-Full-SIGNED-Jersey-RARE-/142001635886?hash=item210ff5022e:g:8dgAAOSwr7ZW7Dpg

There is a signed XL home one, £80 the person is looking for  :lol: . Wonder who signed it, if its the team from that season it's only worth £8.

Two of my favourite strips those. Don't suppose anyone has an adult medium sized one gathering dust, that they'd like to sell me?

Had the black version up until last year when, along with others, I donated to the strips that were shipped overseas for charity.

Had the black version up until last year when, along with others, I donated to the strips that were shipped overseas for charity.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-ADMIRAL-St-Mirren-1996-1997-Football-Shirt-Full-SIGNED-Jersey-RARE-/142001635886?hash=item210ff5022e:g:8dgAAOSwr7ZW7Dpg

There is a signed XL home one, £80 the person is looking for  :lol: . Wonder who signed it, if its the team from that season it's only worth £8.

Haha, I'm going to guess Stephen Watson. There wasn't many memorable players from that era.

Ah well, nice to know some one will be getting use out of it at least.

What is the hold up with the new Strips?

Should have been out at the start of April to get benefit of decent weather.

It is nearly June.

Hopefully worth the wait.

Traditional black and white stripes please.

No replica of the horrendous 1987 Cup Final monstrosity.

The legend Tony Fitzpatrick was on St Mirren Radio an hour ago, regarding our new kit.

He hasn't a clue when new Strips will be outed.

Although he couldn't praise JD Sports high enough.

Archived