The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

51 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I thought this fan ownership scheme was going to cure all the ills at the Club? So who picks a new manager when the fans own the club? Do they hold a referendum?

Vikington.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, ulysses said:

STV saying we're looking to make an appointment before the Falkirk game. 30+ applications in, board will make a shortlist this week. Want someone who'll play "exciting football".

The style of football is definitely the most important thing that the St Mirren board should be focussing on for their next appointment.

My contact's are telling me the following 4 are the front runners 

Barry Smith 

Steven Pressley 

John Hughes 

And James Fowler 

All out a job no compo

Barry Smith is taking time away from football at the moment. He's just became Dundee's local journalist and was appointed in this role last week. Doubt he's looking for another gig so soon. But then I'm sure you knew that.

Steve Paterson?  Doing great things with Dufftown in the North Superleague this season.

You'd get some right entertainment there.  6-5 v Falkirk, 9-4 against Raith etc.

Plus he'd be absolutely caned the whole time, training would just be a massive party everyday.

The clamber to bring back an ex-employee is embarrassing, whether it's Jim Goodwin, Danny Lennon or Gus MacPherson. They all left for a reason and haven't gone on to bigger and better things since, forget about them. Let's have someone with fresh ideas to re-energise this club.

Jack Ross isn't the answer either.

10 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

St.Mirren lost to what looks like the top two teams in the league and away to Raith which is hardly a disgrace.  They've only lost once in the last three.  Sure they need a couple of wins but this looks like a classic panicky decision.

Way too many managers going in and out this club, there has been no stability since Lennon.  Think St. Mirren need to grit their teeth and let someone have a decent chance to built something there, even if it means a season or two at League One.  Facts are they are not a top half of the Championship side and perhaps some need to get a realistic sense of where they are.

They've also failed to win in six games, the three draws being with Morton, Dumbarton and Ayr who are all expected to join them in the relegation battle. Six games without a win is absolutely justification for a sacking,

Just because every club should desire stability and aim to keep managers for years, it doesn't mean you should stick with a crap manager for years just so you've not got a high turnover. The issue is appointing the wrong man in the first place, not sacking them too soon.

8 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

The clamber to bring back an ex-employee is embarrassing, whether it's Jim Goodwin, Danny Lennon or Gus MacPherson. They all left for a reason and haven't gone on to bigger and better things since, forget about them. Let's have someone with fresh ideas to re-energise this club.

Jack Ross isn't the answer either.

The clamber ? Would hardly call it that no one has a clue who Gordon Scott will appoint , personally i think it will be someone who has had no connection with the club who has a bit of ambition.

My choice would be Billy Davis who has a house in Paisley has a soft spot for the club and comes with a wealth of experience and contacts . 

I thought this fan ownership scheme was going to cure all the ills at the Club? So who picks a new manager when the fans own the club? Do they hold a referendum?

St Mirren fans don't own the club , we are currently paying a monthly subscription to buy back shares for fan ownership. It will take 10 years before fans own St Mirren. Gordon Scott is the current owner who has agreed to sell his shares to the fans.  

St.Mirren lost to what looks like the top two teams in the league and away to Raith which is hardly a disgrace.  They've only lost once in the last three.  Sure they need a couple of wins but this looks like a classic panicky decision.

Way too many managers going in and out this club, there has been no stability since Lennon.  Think St. Mirren need to grit their teeth and let someone have a decent chance to built something there, even if it means a season or two at League One.  Facts are they are not a top half of the Championship side and perhaps some need to get a realistic sense of where they are.

Our performances and results have flat lined already and there has been no sign of recovery. Rae lost the dressing room. Normally I'd be against sacking a manager so early but it was clear something wasn't right. He signed good players over the summer but couldn't turn them into a team and kept shaming them in public after every inept performance.

We were lucky to scrape late goals against Morton and Ayr to steal 2 points and by all accounts Dumbarton murdered us on Saturday.

Even our performances in the league cup were rank but you hoped that was just because it was pre season.

10 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The disgrace is the appalling hoofball on offer. Keeper and back four close their eyes and thump the ball up the park to no-one in particular. Rae got enough results last season against bottom end teams to keep us in the league. This season he had the chance of a complete re-structure and he has made an arse of the squad and has one game plan which does not work yet he repeats it every week in a Groundhog way.

We do need stability though. Gilmour made short-term easy appointments as the Club was up for sale. Well now it has been sold so hopefully the new BOD are looking for a longer term strategy and the right man to take them there. But it isn't Rae.

8 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Our performances and results have flat lined already and there has been no sign of recovery. Rae lost the dressing room. Normally I'd be against sacking a manager so early but it was clear something wasn't right. He signed good players over the summer but couldn't turn them into a team and kept shaming them in public after every inept performance.

We were lucky to scrape late goals against Morton and Ayr to steal 2 points and by all accounts Dumbarton murdered us on Saturday.

Even our performances in the league cup were rank but you hoped that was just because it was pre season.

Can i ask what evidence you have Rae lost the dressing room ? It's an opinion correct. Only at the weekend players were in the press saying they are 100% behind Rae.

Rae's defence was shocking while there was no hardman in midfield though that was the position Quinn was to take up. Going forward there was green shoots in our last 2 games. Don't get me wrong i'm glad there is going to be change but i hate seeing someone losing their job. 

At the end of the day I'd have thought that St Mirren would certainly have probably about the 4th biggest budget in this league so in my opinion a playoff spot should be at least what they are looking at. If the manager cant produce a team that can provide that then the fans have every right to be unhappy and looking for a change. 

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Barry Smith is taking time away from football at the moment. He's just became Dundee's local journalist and was appointed in this role last week. Doubt he's looking for another gig so soon. But then I'm sure you knew that.

Something tells me he'd quickly give that up if he was offered a management job - especially ours as I think he's a Saints fan.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

They've also failed to win in six games, the three draws being with Morton, Dumbarton and Ayr who are all expected to join them in the relegation battle. Six games without a win is absolutely justification for a sacking,

Just because every club should desire stability and aim to keep managers for years, it doesn't mean you should stick with a crap manager for years just so you've not got a high turnover. The issue is appointing the wrong man in the first place, not sacking them too soon.

If you're being super critical it's no wins in eight including the final two games of last season. And there's the League Cup exit. We only lost out by a goal but we had a relatively easy group.

58 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Can i ask what evidence you have Rae lost the dressing room ? It's an opinion correct. Only at the weekend players were in the press saying they are 100% behind Rae.

Rae's defence was shocking while there was no hardman in midfield though that was the position Quinn was to take up. Going forward there was green shoots in our last 2 games. Don't get me wrong i'm glad there is going to be change but i hate seeing someone losing their job. 

I agree it's standard stuff to say a manager has lost the dressing room but do you really think the players are going to come out and say they have no confidence in him? No, because they're not Joey Barton. Only last week our chief executive was waxing lyrical about how great Rae and Farrell were. He now looks a bit silly, although he's getting quite good at that in his job.

50 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Alarm bells should have been ringing about Rae when he was out managed by Canning in the cup at the start of the season.

That and being turned over by a team managed by Gary Locke will surely end his managerial career.

Archived