The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

Really? Haven't seen that anywhere, guessing it's Daily Record sensationalist pish like Patrick Kluivert for Ross Country etc.

Troussier has been all over the shop at a huge level his entire career, always fucks everything up but somehow keeps landing big job after big job.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rae got the bullet for pish football, unbalanced squad and having no Plan B. But besides all that I reckon his removal will help bring about a complete new energy to the Club. Rae was not appointed by the current BOD and they were left with him - more like a continuation than a takeover. Now we have a new Chairman who is appointing his own man which for me anyway brings about a freshness we have not seen at the Club for years. The candidates appear a lot stronger than those who may have applied in the past and I detect a growing sense of optimism with the fans. Although we will all have our own thoughts as to who we want I reckon whoever is appointed as manager will get more support from the fans than possibly anyone has over the last few years. Things are looking up at last.

54 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Really? Haven't seen that anywhere, guessing it's Daily Record sensationalist pish like Patrick Kluivert for Ross Country etc.

Troussier has been all over the shop at a huge level his entire career, always fucks everything up but somehow keeps landing big job after big job.

He hasn't been linked, he was included in one of flareybob's posts on Black and White Army :lol:

Did Rae fall into the same trap as Hughes did with us in signing about 26 central midfielders? No idea what it is with young-ish managers doing this and ending up with a large imbalance in their squad.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Did Rae fall into the same trap as Hughes did with us in signing about 26 central midfielders? No idea what it is with young-ish managers doing this and ending up with a large imbalance in their squad.

No entirely the opposite. Only 3 central midfielders in the entire squad, one gets injured in our first League Cup game and the other 2 are guaranteed first team slots no matter how pish they are.

4 central strikers, 3 wingers, 4 central defenders amongst the rest of the squad, so yes, the squad was very unbalanced but not due to an abundance of CMs

Nope, the complete opposite. We've been stuck with only 2 centre mids, Kyle Hutton and Stevie Mallan, since the start of the season, as Rocco Quinn had been injured. It's meant that we've had to play a 4-4-2 every single game, and it hasn't worked.

Rae signed 4 centre halves and 4 strikers, but totally left an imbalance in midfield. Also planned to go the whole season with Irivine at left back, who is right footed.

ETA: in my eyes, Mallan is being played out position, more suited to playing as an attacking midfielder. Talents are wasted playing box to box, or sitting deep.

Disappointing that all the murmurings indicate you're're going for real managers rather than The Snake. Obviously any appointment can go wrong, but Hughes seems a solid shout. There are some jobs he'd be disaster in taking over mid-season such as a side with crap players in every area of the park whose only hope is shitfesting, but you'd think he'd do well with a squad where the problem is good players not performing to their potential. Davies would be interesting and could do extremely well looking at jobs he's done in the past, but he's possibly hit the Phil Brown level of touting himself for any and every job going due to baggage as opposed to being a coup. John Potter though.

John Potter 4th favourite at the bookies. Surely a wind-up? We finished 7th in League 1 with him :lol:

He actually finished a season with you guys? Assumed he'd been punted before even then.

Agree with what one of the posters said about us being inevitably linked with just about every unemployed Scottish manager, only for it to be an anti-climatic appointment. There's no way it'll be another Tommy Craig/Ian Murray-esque appointment this time round though...

8 minutes ago, BuddieInDundee said:

He actually finished a season with you guys? Assumed he'd been punted before even then.

Yeah. He took over from Jefferies in December. I'm sure we were sitting joint top before a disgraceful performance away to Airdrie resulted in JJ's sacking. Potter takes over, then we sign guys like Jim Paterson, Kyle MacAusland, Andy Barrowman, Lewis Allan (the list goes on) and end up finishing 7th. Thankfully Stenhousemuir, Ayr and Stirling were, somehow, a lot worse than us, otherwise we would have got relegated. 

Billy Davies would be a carbon copy of Alex Rae. Another raging *** roaster who probably couldn't name you five non-OF players in the Scottish Premiership, let alone Championship. Leaving aside the petty fallouts that seem to have riddled his career, I'm unconvinced by his managerial record anyway. With a club like St Mirren he'd probably leach off Tribute Act dregs, sign his crap son, and hope for the best.

John Hughes would be a much better fit. 

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Was Fat Sally not looking for a gig?

Too busy re-vitalising his "Cheeky Chappy" persona in those Ladbrokes Ally Versus videos. Obviously looking for his Question of Sport gig back at some point. Maybe the fat b*****d could take over from Mary Berry on the bake off, he'd do a better job at that than managing a football club more than likely.

4 hours ago, Rugster said:

Too busy re-vitalising his "Cheeky Chappy" persona in those Ladbrokes Ally Versus videos. Obviously looking for his Question of Sport gig back at some point. Maybe the fat b*****d could take over from Mary Berry on the bake off, he'd do a better job at that than managing a football club more than likely.

As long as he was getting plenty of dough...

My contacts are telling me Billy Davies has Been offered the job 

He will watch the game today and decide over the coming week 

The wages were a issue but think it's been resolved 

Davis Hughes fowler and one other all interviewed this week 

Maybe Tues or wed more news keep u updated guys 

Archived