The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

Just now, McG said:

As much as Chic is a complete throbber, he was right about the appointment of Alex Rae, let's hope he isn't right about Fullarton.

Aye, because he played five a sides with him. Wouldn't surprise me if it was him that put Rae's name forward as it was totally left field.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but Charles 'Chico' Young seemed to be hinting pretty strongly that Fullarton was to be your next manager on Sportsound this afternoon.

Must've been pre-game, 'cos during OAM all he talked about was Jai Quitongo.  Incessantly.

If he does as well (in the immediate term anyway) as the last gaffer we got from Alloa, that would be just peachy.

Tom Hendrie still provided my favourite season ever as a St. Mirren fan. Probably most St. Mirren fans' favourite season ever, actually.

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Just me that's wondering what Jack Ross has achieved as a manager to get a bigger job....

Mmm, it's a bit quick but he's done a pretty good job at Alloa so far and he's also largely been credited with a lot of the good work at Dumbarton over the past 2 or 3 years. The fact he's an ex-St Mirren player also boosts his chances relative to that particular opening.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Whilst I agree (apart from disappointing part), most said similar about Ian Murray.

Well aye, but this is the guy that basically got Murray the St Mirren job. Or so we're led to believe. Personally think he'd be better staying at Alloa this season and try get them back up, but if he's confident enough he can make the step up then fair play to him.

13 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Just me that's wondering what Jack Ross has achieved as a manager to get a bigger job....

I'm like that too. Just posted this on Black and White Army, might as well post it here rather than typing something similar.

Alloa have had a great start to the season, however they were awful last season and only won twice under him. They even lost to us three times! I appreciate he was taking over from Danny Lennon's mess so it would be harsh to be overly critical, however on that basis we'd be appointing a guy on the basis his side has had a good few months. Supposedly they have a pretty handy budget for that division and as a relegated side you'd expect them to get off to a decent start at a lower level - not that we managed that last season.

Admittedly he has a bit of coaching out with that - there was his time at Hearts and there's the "brains behind Murray" theory. I see Paddy Connolly is his assistant - dunno how much coaching experience he has but he was assistant to both Hartley (good) and Lennon (bad) at Alloa. Maybe he'd stay there and we'd get someone else.

It may well work out, I hope it does, but can't help feel that Ross is the current flavour of the month when it comes to looking at managers. I agree with a few folk saying he'd be as well staying where he is, however the scope for improvement with us is massive. We're bottom and underperforming. You could claim credit for any improvement, like Redknapp reminding everyone for years that Spurs had just a few points when he took over.

Mmm, it's a bit quick but he's done a pretty good job at Alloa so far and he's also largely been credited with a lot of the good work at Dumbarton over the past 2 or 3 years. The fact he's an ex-St Mirren player also boosts his chances relative to that particular opening.

He's been away from Dumbarton for nearly 2 years [emoji53]

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

A league he already has managed in, being regarded the brains behind Dumbarton in their better spells and youth coaching at Hearts. Its a progression ladder he has climbed to reach manager at Alloa, he is far more equipped than the usual retiring footballer with coaching badges that most appointments come from.

I wonder if Jack Ross has applied, I recall when Pressley left us, there was talk that one of Murray and Ross wanted to apply and one didn't think they were ready.

He hasn't won anything yet and still has it all to prove. A bad move for him but jobs this size don't come up very often.
A car crash of a club with huge expectations. Wasted tom Hendrie ' s promising career. He would be best advised to swerve it but cannie see it.

Archived