Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kevin Schmidt is worth a punt ....Scored two looked assured on the ball ...can play left mid and up top ?  

If the 3 or so that are signing are better than him we will be in a very good starting point this year 

seems the club are sticking to the no loans this year..can only be a good thing for the youngsters at the club 

So far we've got the following cover for each position:-

GK:- Ferguson, Kerr

RB:- Higgins, Stewart

CB:- Gorman, McIntosh, Fitzpatrick

LB:- MacDonald, Gorman, Fitzpatrick

RM:- Brown, Stewart, Conroy

CM:- Shuggy, Fitzpatrick, Stewart, Daly

LM:- Conroy, Brown, Russell

CF:- Ryan, Russell, Reilly

I think in an ideal world we could do with another centre half, a winger, a central midfielder and a big striker.

Squad looks a little light at the moment, however I'm quite happy with the quality of the players that have been brought in so far.

So far we've got the following cover for each position:-

GK:- Ferguson, Kerr

RB:- Higgins, Stewart

CB:- Gorman, McIntosh, Fitzpatrick

LB:- MacDonald, Gorman, Fitzpatrick

RM:- Brown, Stewart, Conroy

CM:- Shuggy, Fitzpatrick, Stewart, Daly

LM:- Conroy, Brown, Russell

CF:- Ryan, Russell, Reilly

I think in an ideal world we could do with another centre half, a winger, a central midfielder and a big striker.

Squad looks a little light at the moment, however I'm quite happy with the quality of the players that have been brought in so far.

ETA: I've only included the young boys who are likely to feature regularly next season, I'm aware we've probably got more cover in the u20s.

You'll need to add in McLaughlin, he's definitely 1st team squad.

I'd say the squad currently looks like this;

Gk:  Rohan (Kerr)

Def:   Stewart, TBA, Gorman, McDonald (McIntosh, Higgins)

Winger:  Brown

3mids:   Daly, Conroy, McLaughlin (FitzP, Faria)

Strikers:  Ryan, Russell (TBA, Reilly)

I think things look reasonably decent, we'd win D3 comfortably :)

Just my lousy opinion but there are 2 in brackets that I think we've been hasty in signing, we've hamstrung ourselves a bit for 2 years but I'm happy to be proven wrong by them (no chance).

Otherwise, I think McBride is doing a decent job so far and his signings look really sound.  

If we do sign anyone, a good centre half, a midfield anchor and a spare striker.   Unfortunately the Fs might clog up the midfield thing unless we can get out from under either of them

34 minutes ago, Airdrieyin said:

Loudon is nowhere near first team level

Loudon got a head knock in the closed door game against Morton so i would say thats the more likely reason for him not playing in the friendlies. Nothing to do with ability 

I think quite few of the young players have shown they are good enough but I feel at times we will play them then rest them and I hope we do as at some point they will need to be rested for different reasons. I have been encouraged by all of the young players involved in pre season, young tuesdale looks a real prospect for the future. Connor is slightly similar to wullie mcclaren in stature and has shown glimpses ( before anyone says I'm not saying he is as good as wullie was ). I hope it's true were signing a few more before the thistle game, centre half being my priority though I wouldn't be to worried starting McIntosh. It's interesting McBride as put Stewart to right back the same position sandy played and I think it's only to be expected he may take a little time to learn the new position. Ryan strikes me as a very hard

Sparky is correct.

Season tickets were hoped to be ready for the Q&A tomorrow night, but been held up at printers. Looks like Friday at the earliest. The 15 local businesses who are coming on as club partners are all offering Season Ticket Holders discounts, and all have their logos in the season books, so things were held up a wee but while they were confirmed.

Should be an update on this tomorrow on the o/s

Archived