Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good to me signing championship quality and only heard good things about the boy who scored 2 against us. I often hear fans moan about us being negative and some of it is understandable so refreshing were going to be attacking minded the auld saying the best form of defense is  being attacking minded.

23 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

Sounds good to me signing championship quality and only heard good things about the boy who scored 2 against us. I often hear fans moan about us being negative and some of it is understandable so refreshing were going to be attacking minded the auld saying the best form of defense is  being attacking minded.

Yep. That's exactly the auld saying.......

Q and A tonight.

McBride said we will hopefully tomorrow (Tuesday) sign trialist who played against us for Annan and scored 2 against us, apparently he is Dutch.

Tom said King was released as Tom said he wanted to be more involved with everything in the club from talking to coaches and players and felt when King was talking to players and coaches they would ask Tom again anyway, really King was a go between for Tom that he no longer needed. Said it was not for financial reasons.

Tom said he wanted to sign players from leagues above and not players that had played league one last year.

Tom said first and foremost he wants us to play football from back to front on the ground and that the players signed were signed with this in mind, no longer square pegs in round holes signing players that no one else wanted and hoping a system would emerge. He is very optimistic about the quality of players signed this year, but might sign some stronger build players to add some much needed strength to the team as back up when needed, especially at tough away grounds where the pitch isn't that great. He also sees Rohan Ferguson as a goalie / sweeper that can play this system. it will be fast attacking football, McBride did chip in though and said the system will be tweaked for away grounds that football can't be played on, using Stranraer away as an example.

McBride did hint that the 4 league cup games will be used as pre-season fitness for lets face it the most important thing this year a good start to the league.

McBride says he wants us to be challenging this year as the most important goal and although he didn't say it, winning the league must be priority.

They both said that another centre half is required but they won't rush into signing someone just for the sake of signing someone, (so maybe a loan there till we do).

Tom said Livingston have offered £500 for Cadden as compensation payment and that will obviously go to a tribunal, lets hope Livingston don't get there way there. He also said that he had talked to Lithgow recently and that he regrets signing for Livingston already. Tom gave the impression the only player Livingston got that he really wanted to stay was Cadden.

Tom said that Daly only got a 6 month contract as he is just back from bad injury, he has agreed that if it works out after 6 months then a longer deal will be offered and hopefully signed, he said he is just being ultra cautious as we can't afford long term injuries taking up a wage. He used McBride and Van Zatten as an example as both were crocks early last year and still being paid. He said Van Zatten was the highest paid player in Airdrie since they came back.

Season tickets go on sale Friday and Sunday of this week and will have to be paid in full this year, there will be no payment plans this year.

New home strip for players will not be available till league starts in August and will also be available then for us to buy too. Away strip will be available for players in August, but he is holding public sale for away strips till November for Christmas sale and probably cash injection for club as he believes them to be a popular sale.

Training at Ravenscraig is going well, they start at 12 noon for lunch, then video analysis, gym work and then they train from 3 - 5 pm same as match day copied from Italy and Spain.

Under 20's games will be played at Ravenscraig this year hopefully indoors, still to be approved by Scottish League, space for 400 spectators.

There will also be an open to public training day on the first free Saturday when there are no games.

They are training at the stadium on Thursday so that new boys get a chance to play on the home pitch.

He also said that home games will be one stand open only no matter the opposition as purely a financial thing, costs around £8000 for one stand and £20,000 for all four stands open.

Also said EWB won't be rushed back anytime soon, seems he is not as healthy and fit as probably they had hoped and as a moral issue it has to be seen that the club do the right thing for EWB first and foremost. He is though been kept in the loop and McBride and other coaches do use him for advice.

7 hours ago, Cooper81 said:

the auld saying the best form of defense is  being attacking minded.

I've never been one for jumping on the "let's all have a go at Cooper81" bandwagon.

In fact, I've defended Cooper81's right to express his opinion in the face of borderline bullying.

But I cannot stop laughing at this.

So basic gist:

King was a meddling egotistical p***k who was nothing more than a gopher, and an annoying one at that?   King wanted to speak to the players but they still went to TW anyway.   Is this in reference to so many miscommunications?   I'd been aware of around 6 players/coaches who were anticipating signing/re-signing then were ignored and left looking stupid.  

Eddie not coming back due to his ailment but club treating him with respect whilst he's under contract?  

We're signing players from a higher league and we'll be signing Scmhidt today who was released by Stranraer and trialling for Annan?   TW witnessed his 2 strikes on Saturday, could be really exciting off the bench, he just ran with the ball till he got a gap then blasted it.

Lithgow has TW on speed dial and has already thrown his new club under the bus?  Hopkin reportedly Looking for a left sided centre half, and we need a centre half.    It's entirely possible he could get mutually released already but, TW,  I dont know the fascination but that would be a horrific move.   Mibbee swap him for Fitz and Faria would be acceptable to them, I'd take that :)

Then a load of blah blah blah about strips and tickets?

I do like what TW says at these Q&A nights. He really has got the crowd on side now and washing his hands of King has removed all the scepticism of the "old pals act" between them.

(I did hear that King tried to gain access to the dressing room at Spartans and was promptly asked to "get tae", so no love lost)

I for one am hugely excited about the new season. Kevin McBride whilst inexperienced looks to have a system in place from top to bottom, something that hasn't been seen at Airdrie in a long time.

I still find it absolutely crazy that the stadium want £8,000 per match, though, but ultimately there is no alternative to it.

2 hours ago, kerrdavidson95 said:

I still find it absolutely crazy that the stadium want £8,000 per match, though, but ultimately there is no alternative to it.

I'm not disputing it but does anyone actually know for sure that's what we're paying? I know for a fact that Clyde and Cumbernauld Colts pay just over a quarter of that to play at Broadwood.

Playing football "the right way" is great in theory but it all sounds a bit Scott Booth. Not sure this Airdrieonians team have the personnel to knock it about in the way Tom Wotherspoon is hoping.

You say that but Gorman and McIntosh (our two CBs at the moment) look very comfortable in possession and we've got some good technical players in Conroy, Russell, Daly and McLaughlin so I'm optimistic. With any luck a couple more will be added of the same ilk.

2 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Will Kevin Schmidt be signed on a 2 year deal?

Annan Ath were hoping to sign Kevin Schmidt.

Can`t blame the lad if he choses to go to Airdrie.

Archived