Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

To be fair to Ferguson, McBride was signalling to him to play the ball there. I do enjoy watching the team to try and play from the back but sometimes the size 9's have to be put through the ball.

The team is still learning and as has been previously said patience is a must. If after 10-15 games in those mistakes are being made however......

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And? Fitzpatrick is a natural LB but hasn't played there consistently for years.

He has filled in at LB in the past for us and played at LB at times in preseason. Looks much more comfortable there.

But why sacrifices Macdonald who is a talented player to accommodate Fitzpatrick. Why not just drop Fitzpatrick is that not what the majority of fans on here want.

I rate McDonald, I'm not sure why he is being suggested for the drop.

Some of our play is really good, good passing, good movement. Things are going in the right direction, just need to tweak the defence, or midfield cover for the defence.

Did McDonald not show up well in a few of the League Cup games? He's maybe just had a bad game. It's going to happen with the young guns this year and I said months ago, fans patience is key this year.
Calling for the boy to be chopped after 1 poor display is all too "Airdrie".
Let the boy re-group and I'm sure he'll have a stormer on Tuesday/Saturday.

But drop Fitzpatrick.

Seems to me it might take a while till we find our best 11. Scott Stewart us doing well at rb but I think we need him in the middle of the park, a strong player who can win the ball and pick a pass. Brown was poor yesterday but has been doing well so far. Macintosh will be a good player but maybe moving him to rb is a good idea, put gorman back into cb. Not a fan of fitzpatrick, although yesterday wasn't his worst game by any stretch, he seems untouchable when it comes to being benched. A midfield 3 of Stewart, mcglaughlin and either conroy/daly/Fitz would be worth a try. Get Plenty of energy in there for a change!

I'm all for getting the ball down and passing it out from the back BUT they've got to mix it up and go long occasionally. Its to predictable going short all the time. Once teams get wise to the fact we always go short all the time they push onto us. We've got enough pace up front that opposition defences should be worried about getting caught with a ball over the top. Try and exploit that occasionally and they will drop a bit deeper giving our defence more space for when we do play it out short.

Also think the keeper needs to release the ball a bit quicker at times. Too often we're giving the opposition time to get their shape and get settled.

I think Leitch is good. Hope we sign him this week.

Having had the weekend to think over the defensive shambles I don't think we'll see much by way of changing positions like dropping the left back for Fitz or moving Stewart. I think the most likely change is dropping McIntosh who cannot hope to survive. 

P.s. Can we have Goram in goals?

Keeper is young and will learn but needs to build up his physicality, learn how to command his box at set pieces and needs to hold the ball better at times, time will tell whether he can step up and adapt. Mcbride/Goram needs to be not so rigid with the passing out system and allow him to kick out to the wings on opportunities where we can break, a few times Brown was free waiting on the punt out which never came.

Fitzpatrick loses more than he is winning at moment & I would consider Conroy for captain & possible move McIntosh to midfield bringing in Gorman to replace.

Thought Boateng did well for first outing and gives us an option at set pieces and when chasing a result but need someone in midfield who can step back and fill the gap.

It was telling that our first goal came from Lithgow being up the park and playing quickly through the middle.

Would sign Leitch thought he put in a shift against Livi and has impressed in both games.

Stewart is coming into his own at Right back and is improving week on week.

Ryan's first touch let him down on a few occasions but I expect that to improve as the season goes on.

1 hour ago, Tory Boy said:

I'm all for getting the ball down and passing it out from the back BUT they've got to mix it up and go long occasionally. Its to predictable going short all the time. Once teams get wise to the fact we always go short all the time they push onto us. We've got enough pace up front that opposition defences should be worried about getting caught with a ball over the top. Try and exploit that occasionally and they will drop a bit deeper giving our defence more space for when we do play it out short.

Also think the keeper needs to release the ball a bit quicker at times. Too often we're giving the opposition time to get their shape and get settled.

This. The 3rd Livi goal at the weekend was a great example. They pressed up more or less man for man and that left our front 3 against their back 4 - a long goal kick may well have caught them out. I'm sure Ferguson will get better at judging when to do this as the season goes on - he is only young and decision making will improve with experience. Would also like to see the front men notice this too though - if they were identifying when the long ball is on and getting closer together (and/or calling for the ball from Ferguson)and winning 2nd balls it would allow us to really mix it up from goal kicks. Clearly the better we do this the better we keep possession, etc.

Don't get the stuff about Ferguson and McIntosh; both are good players with lots of potential and that ain't going to be developed by dropping them or changing McIntosh's starting position. I really think he looks a class act but needs a bit more physical presence.

4 hours ago, Cooper81 said:

Jack leitch has shown up as not a bad player so far maybe you can shed some light on how good he was for Motherwell.

Leitch was B Trialist? He wasn't listed as a trialist last week.

I've already given my opinion somewhere on the site on Jack Leitch at the behest of a curious Airdrieonian.

I'll give it again though.  He played against Celtic in a match and completely dominated the midfield, made a fool of Scott Brown, and was man of the match by a mile. He looked like a terrific prospect.  However it was a one off and he never got close to that level again, see sawing from poor to bang average.

He's demonstrated that on his game he can be a top player but getting the performances out of him is another matter.  Motherwell were unable to, perhaps moving down a couple of levels will spur him on a bit.  Could be a great signing, a mediocre signing or he might disappear without trace.

He's got it in him but like so many Scottish footballers, you have to question his motivation and/or confidence. 

Leitch was B Trialist? He wasn't listed as a trialist last week.

I've already given my opinion somewhere on the site on Jack Leitch at the behest of a curious Airdrieonian.

I'll give it again though.  He played against Celtic in a match and completely dominated the midfield, made a fool of Scott Brown, and was man of the match by a mile. He looked like a terrific prospect.  However it was a one off and he never got close to that level again, see sawing from poor to bang average.

He's demonstrated that on his game he can be a top player but getting the performances out of him is another matter.  Motherwell were unable to, perhaps moving down a couple of levels will spur him on a bit.  Could be a great signing, a mediocre signing or he might disappear without trace.

He's got it in him but like so many Scottish footballers, you have to question his motivation and/or confidence. 

Moving to the tap team in Lanarkshire should help

Archived