Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

The whining for Dizzy and Dosey gets me most.   Both of them were utter dross at both ends of the ball.    McIntosh and Gorman are infinitely better already.   Apart from a few balls ups they've done well and contributed a lot to our pleasnt to watchness.   

Between them though I want to see one of them get tighter to the main striker and the other to sweep.  The defence generally just needs work.   Maybe Boateng can add a bit more.

And to be clear we've lost 2 goals from set pieces and neither CD was at fault.   McDonald in the 1st QP game and "you know who" who was wrong side of his man on Saturday were.

Of the balls into the box we should have cleared the only one I was disappointed with was the 1st half when their no11 ran unchecked by our midfield (you know who again who was ballwatching as usual) and got on the end of one but Rohan saved.

I do hope Boateng can come in and organise the young guys a bit and give us a bit of power at defending set pieces.   But in those situations it's the whole team not just 2 centrehalves.   

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't imagine Boetang has been brought in to sit on the bench so I would expect to see him starting soon, perhaps in the game against Motherwell colts next week.

In an otherwise sane world there wouldn't be many people parting with their hard earned cash to witness his performance in an under 20s game.

The league game against stenny on the highlights when rohan drops the ball gorman is in the box and gilhaney  (stenny)is outside the box but gets to the ball first and scores. The cup game against queens park the equaliser for queens gorman miss times his header and goes in path queens player in our box. I am not saying gorman is rubbish but the centre of defense could do with more of a presence. Mcintosh has done well though in queens cup game he looked very shakey when queens came back into the game. I genuinely believe the majority of airdrie fans wanted lithgow to stay and a majority are hoping boetang is similar no nonsense centre half thats good in the air. Comments in tizer abput passing ball from back. I believe we have to stick with passing the ball out from the back but not to over do it.

26 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

Comments in tizer abput passing ball from back. I believe we have to stick with passing the ball out from the back but not to over do it.

Disagree about Lithgow. The majority never wanted him in the first place. Given your comments above, and we all knew this was the way we were going to play this season, where do you think Lithgow would fit in trying to pass the ball out from the back?

I wouldn't be wanting Crichton or lithgow back- they were statues. But we do look vulnerable to aerial balls at the minute. One of them needs to attack the ball and on Saturday none of them were. Maybe that's not their game. If it isn't then we need someone who isn't as robotic as they 2 clowns from last season but can still themselves about.

1 hour ago, Pesadilla said:

I'd suggest that's the way it's going to be this year. If we want to play football from the back then players like Lithgow and Crighton are no good. The players we have at the moment were brought in to play to a 'philosophy'. We'll have to accept that we'll ship some goals. If either could play a bit and were particularly commanding, they wouldn't be playing with Airdrie.

Still, after the exceptionally dull football we've watched for countless seasons, seeing a few goals will be a pleasant change!

We mostly pass it out from the back so I don't see why they wouldn't have fitted in. Crighton will just kick it to safety under pressure but Lithgow is fine at passing it to a midfielder to bring it up the pitch. I was expecting both of them to be utter shite after reading post from Airdrie fans but they've been ok. Been really impressed by Watt and Cadden though, both are cracking players.

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

We mostly pass it out from the back so I don't see why they wouldn't have fitted in. Crighton will just kick it to safety under pressure but Lithgow is fine at passing it to a midfielder to bring it up the pitch. I was expecting both of them to be utter shite after reading post from Airdrie fans but they've been ok. Been really impressed by Watt and Cadden though, both are cracking players.

I've watched Lithgow try and perform this function for the best part of a season. He's utterly one footed, turns like an oil tanker and has the pace of rising damp. His distribution mainly involved passing it back to the 'keeper after being put under pressure due to these attributes.

Don't get me wrong, he's a big lad that will header bricks but play though the middle of him and Crighton though and they're done.

Nobody apart from Cooper81 was bothered when they left us, and if you take time to look at his input to the forum, you'll see he's a no-righter.

Yeah I've already come to that conclusion about Cooper81 lol. They're limited in skill but they seem to know that and don't try anything fancy, which is fine, we've got other players they can pass it to that will get it up the pitch. Last season we had utter bomb scare in Darren Cole playing in CB and they're def an improvement on that. Only skilful player we had playing at CB was Gallagher but he's doing porridge.

I too would rather have our CBs this season than Lithgow and Crichton. They are however quite similar players as has been mentioned and Boetang from what little info we have would appear to be more of a classic 'centre half' type of player. This then throws up the issue of who makes way if he is coming in. Rotating of forwards is all fine and well but that's not a game you want to be playing in the center of defence as a solid partnership is vital early doors.

I didn't think lithgow and crighton were that bad, you play the ball on the deck and they're humped tho. Solid at this level and reliable. Wouldn't have fitted into our system this year, although I do think having a midfielder who can take the ball from them will be a great help to them. We didn't have that last year.

League 1 we play in, we r never going to sign a baresi or Maldini type of player. At this level never in a million years r we going to sign a commanding centre half who is also a great passer of the ball. It's 1 or the other I'm afraid. Time to work out which type we need and move on.

Afc01 comments spot on we have two defenders the now who are comfortable with the ball at feet, however they are not as good in the air as last years centre half pairing. The reason i would have Lithgow or a player similar to Lithgow is because some teams we will face will play the long ball to the big target man and thats where i would believe Lithgow or a similar centre half usefull ( centre half who wins the vast majority of headers).  I believe that when we come up against teams who don't use a big target man the current centre half pairing will be fine, however just like strikers its good to have different options defensively.

1 hour ago, Cooper81 said:

Afc01 comments spot on we have two defenders the now who are comfortable with the ball at feet, however they are not as good in the air as last years centre half pairing. The reason i would have Lithgow or a player similar to Lithgow is because some teams we will face will play the long ball to the big target man and thats where i would believe Lithgow or a similar centre half usefull ( centre half who wins the vast majority of headers).  I believe that when we come up against teams who don't use a big target man the current centre half pairing will be fine, however just like strikers its good to have different options defensively.

So....you'd have kept Lithgow on a F/T wage and swapped around the defense when we face a team with a big target man?

Wind and pish.

I wouldn't give Lithgow a wave off the bus but I agree with copper that two contrasting styles of centre half would be best. If we are going to play fitba then we need someone that can start it from the back but we also need someone that is going to attack the ball in the air or we are going to be vulnerable.

On 8/11/2016 at 17:22, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I wouldn't give Lithgow a wave off the bus but I agree with copper that two contrasting styles of centre half would be best. If we are going to play fitba then we need someone that can start it from the back but we also need someone that is going to attack the ball in the air or we are going to be vulnerable.

In an ideal world we'd have to big lads, useful with the ball at their feet. However, we're in Scottish league 1 and we're never going to get that. We're setting up this season to try and play out from the back, the management obviously think the CB pairing we have at the moment can do that, Lithgow - as your clearly aware - couldn't. The style of play we're aiming for, with our budget, we're going to have weakness' and lack of height at the back is going to be one of them!

Coopers assertion that Lithgow would have been useful in a targeted manner against equally big lads is nonsense.

I'm sort of looking forward to tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how we fair against one of the title favorites.

Archived