Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

We dont have a lack of height.   Stewart, Boateng, McIntosh, Fitz and Gorman are all 6' or over.    Doddie's 92 Diamonds only had Balfour and Smith.

We need players who will compete.  We lost majority of goals so far from a few stupid mistakes.

The passing game is not to blame either.  Granted Rohan could've kicked long v Partick but that wasn't really the issue?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, touchedbymadness said:

We dont have a lack of height.   Stewart, Boateng, McIntosh, Fitz and Gorman are all 6' or over.    Doddie's 92 Diamonds only had Balfour and Smith.

We need players who will compete.  We lost majority of goals so far from a few stupid mistakes.

The passing game is not to blame either.  Granted Rohan could've kicked long v Partick but that wasn't really the issue?

In that last comment you assume we're assigning 'blame'. No such thing, I've seen us once V Dundee Utd and was impressed. I'm simply saying we're set up to play in a certain style and the management team deem these players more capable of playing in that style than last seasons offerings. Given what we had last year, it's hard to disagree....

I'm not overly concerned by the lack of height if we play a high line and the full backs can stop crosses. We'll see.

9 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

In that last comment you assume we're assigning 'blame'. No such thing, I've seen us once V Dundee Utd and was impressed. I'm simply saying we're set up to play in a certain style and the management team deem these players more capable of playing in that style than last seasons offerings. Given what we had last year, it's hard to disagree....

I'm not overly concerned by the lack of height if we play a high line and the full backs can stop crosses. We'll see.

Sorry Pes, didnt mean to make it sound like that.  Just pointing out the general P+B percieved  "lack of height" is inaccurate and the knicker wetting of some is misplaced.

The lack of aerial prowess in the centre of defence is much to do with the fact we have 2x type2 centre halves (sweeper types) than a perceiced more appropriate combo of a type 1 (marker ball attacker) and type 2.     If McIntosh and Gorman are paired up again, which is highly if Boateng is either injured or suspended, one of those 2 needs to assume a more aggressive role.   It's quite simple.

Re. defending set pieces we're needing a lot more work.  A few outfield players are weak. From last week and presuming Ryan is back,  Russell, Brown, Ryan, Schmidt, McDonald, Leitch and Conroy are really weak in this dept.   The 4 bigger guys: Stewart, Gorman, McIntosh and Fitzp could all be sharper too.   QP managed to outfox them by decent movement a few times.  Once I think we had 3 spare men on the line but had been outnumbered in a "big guy 2v3 scrum" which is lunacy.  And i've mentioned previously the pathetic mistakes by mcdonald and the puffychested ballwatcher at defending corners.

From memory we didnt lose a set piece v. Stenny, QotS or Partick.

So I'm not sure we have a huge issue with set pieces.

I'm glad we have Boateng coming in to address the imbalance in central defence and hopefully he's a force in the air.   

I just dont want to see us drop this new ideology for the misplaced conception that we need to play like Bollans team because "thats what we always done".

Sorry Pes, didnt mean to make it sound like that.  Just pointing out the general P+B percieved  "lack of height" is inaccurate and the knicker wetting of some is misplaced.

The lack of aerial prowess in the centre of defence is much to do with the fact we have 2x type2 centre halves (sweeper types) than a perceiced more appropriate combo of a type 1 (marker ball attacker) and type 2.     If McIntosh and Gorman are paired up again, which is highly if Boateng is either injured or suspended, one of those 2 needs to assume a more aggressive role.   It's quite simple.

Re. defending set pieces we're needing a lot more work.  A few outfield players are weak. From last week and presuming Ryan is back,  Russell, Brown, Ryan, Schmidt, McDonald, Leitch and Conroy are really weak in this dept.   The 4 bigger guys: Stewart, Gorman, McIntosh and Fitzp could all be sharper too.   QP managed to outfox them by decent movement a few times.  Once I think we had 3 spare men on the line but had been outnumbered in a "big guy 2v3 scrum" which is lunacy.  And i've mentioned previously the pathetic mistakes by mcdonald and the puffychested ballwatcher at defending corners.

I'm glad we have Boateng coming in to address the imbalance in central defence and hopefully he's a force in the air.   

I just dont want to see us drop this new ideology for the misplaced conception that we need to play like Bollans team because "thats what we always done".

Your deluded if you think Kevin Schmidt is weak

29 minutes ago, onlythelonely1 said:

Your deluded if you think Kevin Schmidt is weak

Who said he was weak?     You are clearly another thickett who struggles with reading and writing.  

You are clearly another questionable poster.  After your series of bizarre and disturbing direct messages I strongly advise you to stop quoting me, referring to me, or communicating with me immediately.

Who said he was weak?     You are clearly another thickett who struggles with reading and writing.  

You are clearly another questionable poster.  After your series of bizarre and disturbing direct messages I strongly advise you to stop quoting me, referring to me, or communicating with me immediately.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] you are deluded. You named players who were weak in this department and Schmidt was one of those names

I

Y

For anyone who can't read TBM clearly says certain players are weak at defending set pieces. He is not wrong. No where does he mention a players name as being weak. 

he names 7 players

Re. defending set pieces we're needing a lot more work.  A few outfield players are weak. From last week and presuming Ryan is back,  Russell, Brown, Ryan, Schmidt, McDonald, Leitch and Conroy are really weak in this dept

15 minutes ago, carlukediamond said:

I

Y

he names 7 players

Re. defending set pieces we're needing a lot more work.  A few outfield players are weak. From last week and presuming Ryan is back,  Russell, Brown, Ryan, Schmidt, McDonald, Leitch and Conroy are really weak in this dept

Aye at being weak at set pieces. Not actually being fucking weak. They are compeltely different sentences. 

Beggars belief. 

7 hours ago, onlythelonely1 said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png you are deluded. You named players who were weak in this department and Schmidt was one of those names

Another page of the thread ruined by otl1 the wrong un and his girlfriend copper18.   Why dont you direct message me and ask about my kids again you freak

Another page of the thread ruined by otl1 the wrong un and his girlfriend copper18.   Why dont you direct message me and ask about my kids again you freak

Has it ever occurred to you that you actually contribute vastly to ruining the thread? You make some great posts but you can just as easily have a mare.

I will reserve judgement on Boateng, certainly more powerful in the air than the other defenders. Tries to pass the ball with mixed results. My main worry is whether he can pick up runners. He did win a header to set up one of Ryan's goals.

He must be a better pick at centre back than McIntosh although not as gifted.

Archived