Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

16 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Certainly no happy clappers on force tonight. Yet to here the they're only young excuse that was apparently acceptable two weeks ago.

I'm the biggest perpetrator when it comes to defending the younger players.

Rohan, McLaughlin, McIntosh are so very young it's cruel to blame them.  Ideally they wouldnt be needed.    But you can see what they'll become with experience and physical growth.  They need the experience, they'll be better for it.

The biggest issue is that McDonald, Boateng, Fitz, Brown and Russell are  all they'll ever be.  Why play them?

The shitty formation and horrible defenders are our problems, end of.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Diamond8 said:

Certainly no happy clappers on force tonight. Yet to here the they're only young excuse that was apparently acceptable two weeks ago.

I got slaughtered by a poster because I suggested I would have lister over Russell.

The problems for me.

1- Our manager should be permanently if not it can cause unrest.

2- The Chairman made the choice no loan signings. Shouldnt that be the managers decision.

We have many other areas around team selection and contracts which could be questioned.

I'm not saying who is or isn't part of the problem. I don't know and to be honest I don't think that many posters who claim they know what is and what is not going on know any more than me. However, TW has invested a lot of time, money and credibility in this venture and he doesn't strike me at the type to let things drift. That's why I think he'll do something and the most obvious thing is to sack the manager.

1 minute ago, waysider said:

I'm not saying who is or isn't part of the problem. I don't know and to be honest I don't think that many posters who claim they know what is and what is not going on know any more than me. However, TW has invested a lot of time, money and credibility in this venture and he doesn't strike me at the type to let things drift. That's why I think he'll do something and the most obvious thing is to sack the manager.

So your saying he's going to sack EWB as McBride is not the manager

Several people claim that Black is running the show. Do they know that or is it just supposition? Anyway I was taking solely about McBride. I would repeat that I don't have any inside knowledge but McBride seems the most obvious candidate for the chop.

There are numerous things you could look at, but simply we've put together a small, weak, unbalanced squad. On top of that we have a manager who isn't really the manager causing lots of uncertainty. These factors combined are a recipe for disaster. 

We have no leadership on the park, and no leadership off it just now either. We had nothing on the bench today that could turn the game, and that's with no injuries or suspensions. What is it going to be like when they pile up?

McBride will naturally get criticism because he's seen to be in charge and therefore is responsible for the results, but it's hard to know how much of a say he has and the squad is poor, so I try to reserve judgement slightly. I am concerned by some of the comments he makes after some games, where he says we've dominated games and created chances, when I've just not seen what he says. I know he has to present a positive front, but if that's how he's really been seeing games then it's a real worry.

I wasn't a fan of Gorman and McIntosh as a pairing at the start of the season, and I still don't think they're really at the standard we should be aiming for, but Fitz and Boateng are a lot worse yet continually get picked together. He changed it at half time today but there was nothing the back 4 did in the first half that they hadn't been doing already in the last few matches, so why were they picked to begin with?

McDonald was at fault for first goal then I thought did ok

daniel did OK in second half sticking a foot in when needed but damage was done by then

conroy had a stinker

assume subbing of Macintosh was meant to be tactical to free up Conroy but that failed as Conroy was subbed

Russell needs to zip it

give Gorman a run with big Dan

16 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

There are numerous things you could look at, but simply we've put together a small, weak, unbalanced squad. On top of that we have a manager who isn't really the manager causing lots of uncertainty. These factors combined are a recipe for disaster. 

We have no leadership on the park, and no leadership off it just now either. We had nothing on the bench today that could turn the game, and that's with no injuries or suspensions. What is it going to be like when they pile up?

McBride will naturally get criticism because he's seen to be in charge and therefore is responsible for the results, but it's hard to know how much of a say he has and the squad is poor, so I try to reserve judgement slightly. I am concerned by some of the comments he makes after some games, where he says we've dominated games and created chances, when I've just not seen what he says. I know he has to present a positive front, but if that's how he's really been seeing games then it's a real worry.

I wasn't a fan of Gorman and McIntosh as a pairing at the start of the season, and I still don't think they're really at the standard we should be aiming for, but Fitz and Boateng are a lot worse yet continually get picked together. He changed it at half time today but there was nothing the back 4 did in the first half that they hadn't been doing already in the last few matches, so why were they picked to begin with?

Absolutely nailed it DaF

Is the problem not trying to be a FT team with only a couple of guys who've been at any level & a lot of kids. You're always going to get up & down performances .

Think the problem is a huge chunk of the budget was swallowed up by the worst foreigner to ever play in Scottish Football in Hugo. He was given a wage that increased as he got older plus house & his badges paid for at Largs as part of the deal. Would you leave?? 

who sanctioned that deal was it EWB or was it Ian King , whoever it was that's up there with one of the worst deals in Scottish history. 

That said players that are there should still be better than what they showed. 

2 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Think it's quite unfair to single out the captain here.

We've got a goalkeeper that's too quite to be a goalkeeper, he can't catch the ball and is too slow with distribution at times.

We have two 'full backs' who are great going forward but they get caught up the pitch and the centre defence is pulled from pillar to post as a part of this.

We've got one centre half who is actually decent, he can play and when he came on today it tightened things up slightly. We've got another who is just a joke- he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and his positional sense is atrocious. The other 'centre half' is a makeshift option, it shows how desperate we are. I'd either play him at left back or in between defence and midfield to allow Conroy to pull some strings.

Onto the midfield, we've got Adam 'superstar' Brown. Pish, today he gave us nothing (as did many others). He's very weak and he's often looks as if he isn't interested. Vastly overrated because of his goals. Jack Leitch has been a massive disappointment since he signed the contract, he can play some nice passes but for me he should be doing slightly more. Conroy does what he does, he can deliver and pass a ball but can't tackle, again very week but he has that bit of quality that any team needs. Russell seems to play out wide in our midfield and quite frankly has been nothing short of a disgrace recently, utter embarrassment, the less said about him the better.

Upfront we have Andy Ryan, he runs tirelessly after absolutely nothing balls and is then forced to come deep to get any sort of service which affects his effectiveness and also the teams effectiveness in attack. We just lack any real penetration.

On the bench we have nothing. It's filled with youngsters and when you look at our bench you must ask, who can change this game? Who can take the game by the scruff of the neck? The answer is no one.

Our squad is threadbare and pretty poor, the clamour and rush into full time football is something I don't understand. I'd much rather turn up and watch the best of the part time players rather than the worst of the full time players.

I don't know if I'm overreacting due to my disappointment but at the minute that's how I see it and it won't get any better until we get rid of the master who has us playing a style of football built by an ego made in the woman's game.

That's pretty much spot on.

2 hours ago, touchedbymadness said:

Since we're now friends roadrunner and we've cleared up the misunderstanding and we now communicate well,  hypothetically,  where do you think our capitan should play as we pretty much had confirmation today that he's not cut out for centre mid or central defence at this level?

I am no expert but I think he should play in front of the back 4  just behind midfield. I think a lot of our problems are that the full backs are going forward and the midfield is not covering them when they can't get back. He could then go forward when he can ( he has scored the odd goal) and cover defence. He gets a lot of critisicm playing where he is at the moment, which I think is a bit unfair at times as he has never played there before and was thrown into it!! 

The club need to announce if McBride is permanent manager. Having McBride as intern manager is unsettling as fans are questioning who is making the decisions.

Gorman technically is our best centre half and is vocal and should be starting matches. I would happy with him to play beside boetang or McIntosh.

Iain Russell the ball is in your court either knuckle down cut out the diving and show us all what a good player you are if not move on.

The management team isn't working. From top to bottom. Ewb is pulling McBrides strings. At no point today did McBride try to alter play, he didn't seem bothered in any shape or form when we lost the goals nothing no emotion nothing. As long as ewb is at the club with his footballing philosophy were doomed, it's hard enough to play the type of football with good players. Wotherspoon needs to take drastic action now.

15 minutes ago, roadrunner said:

I am no expert but I think he should play in front of the back 4  just behind midfield. I think a lot of our problems are that the full backs are going forward and the midfield is not covering them when they can't get back. He could then go forward when he can ( he has scored the odd goal) and cover defence. He gets a lot of critisicm playing where he is at the moment, which I think is a bit unfair at times as he has never played there before and was thrown into it!! 

Firstly you said you were a ross county fan,  now you're saying "us".  

We need to sort somethimg out that suits.   Normally he's a good captain, today excepted,  we need to find a position that suits his skillset.

Just now, carlukediamond said:

The management team isn't working. From top to bottom. Ewb is pulling McBrides strings. At no point today did McBride try to alter play, he didn't seem bothered in any shape or form when we lost the goals nothing no emotion nothing. As long as ewb is at the club with his footballing philosophy were doomed, it's hard enough to play the type of football with good players. Wotherspoon needs to take drastic action now.

What proof is their that EWB is pulling the strings. I am not saying your wrong but their is no evidence to back it up that I know off.

Archived