Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brown reminds me a bit of Wullie McLaren.  Often seems uninterested or reluctant to go for it (and I hope I'm not just being a "get-stuck-in dinosaur here), and has a tendency to disappear from the game.  Still, like McLaren, he has the ability to do something really special, and even if he does nothing for 89 minutes and forty seconds, the twenty seconds where he does tune in to planet earth can make all the difference.  Or, it does in a tight game.  If we're shipping four goals as a matter of course, it doesn't really make any difference.  

41 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Brown reminds me a bit of Wullie McLaren.  Often seems uninterested or reluctant to go for it (and I hope I'm not just being a "get-stuck-in dinosaur here), and has a tendency to disappear from the game.  Still, like McLaren, he has the ability to do something really special, and even if he does nothing for 89 minutes and forty seconds, the twenty seconds where he does tune in to planet earth can make all the difference.  Or, it does in a tight game.  If we're shipping four goals as a matter of course, it doesn't really make any difference.  

Wullie told us that Lovering said "you stay up there, I'll defend".

Changed my perspective a bit.

34 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Wullie told us that Lovering said "you stay up there, I'll defend".

Changed my perspective a bit.

Hadn't heard that.  Fair enough, though aside from not tracking back his on-field attitude, to say nothing of off it, wasn't always as good as it should have been.  I remember him showing some pretty blatant disrespect to Owen Coyle once.  Ah!  What a player McLaren could have been...

And I'd be more relaxed about Brown not tracking back if full-backs of Lovering's quality were behind him, of course. 

21 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Hadn't heard that.  Fair enough, though aside from not tracking back his on-field attitude, to say nothing of off it, wasn't always as good as it should have been.  I remember him showing some pretty blatant disrespect to Owen Coyle once.  Ah!  What a player McLaren could have been...

And I'd be more relaxed about Brown not tracking back if full-backs of Lovering's quality were behind him, of course. 

5 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

There's no doubting his natural ability but the boy actually HATES football.  He doesn't even train!   Just rolls up on a Saturday now and does his own thing for Forth :)

My son plays for Forth so I know that Wullie does train albeit not as often as the rest of the team. There's no doubting he's a maverick but at junior level he's a matchwinner. In the clip above he scored 4 goals against Forth's bitter rivals Lanark to seal their first league title in 36 years. For that reason He will always be a cult hero in Forth !  I will leave you guys in peace now - you have bigger fish to fry than the current playing career of Wullie McLaren.

2 minutes ago, redstarbenhar said:

My son plays for Forth so I know that Wullie does train albeit not as often as the rest of the team. There's no doubting he's a maverick but at junior level he's a matchwinner. In the clip above he scored 4 goals against Forth's bitter rivals Lanark to seal their first league title in 36 years. For that reason He will always be a cult hero in Forth !  I will leave you guys in peace now - you have bigger fish to fry than the current playing career of Wullie McLaren.

I've watched Forth a few times,  I have a few personal friends at Forth Juniors and I see them at training every week.    I was at a recent bounce game v Fauldhouse for a while a week or 2 back.   

Archived