Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Airdrieonians Supporters' Trust have entered into an innovative sponsorship deal with local internet radio sensation Ross Owen.
Ross, who's programme features interviews with a-list celebrities across the world, will benefit from new equipment that will help him develop his show.
In exchange, he has already started to use his contacts to promote the diamonds and raise funds for the trust. It was Ross who approached Ricky Gervais recently to sign a famous Mark Allison shirt, which is currently being auctioned on e-bay. He will run similar auctions with global superstars in the coming months.
In addition, Ross will be helping the trust bring a number of huge bands to the town, building on the success of the tribute acts who have performed at the town hall recently.
A spokesperson for the trust said: "Our relationship with Ross takes our activities to another level. Raising money in innovative ways is crucial, and the opportunities Ross presents us helps do just that. He's also helping us raise the profile of the club, and bring new and exciting live music to the town."
Ross is delighted with the deal. He said: "The diamonds are a big part of the community and I'm excited about helping the trust continue their work to help the team regain its rightful place in Scottish football."

Listen to Ross at - http://www.therossowenshow.com/

16508834_1503986909635687_60328837424782

16602685_1503986899635688_61020089185113

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
 But the real surprise there was one of our absolute stars of the 2004 season - David Dunn - was playing left back.   He must be well into his mid to late 30s now but the big guy still looked in great shape and seemed to be really enjoying it.   Dunny was outstanding in centre mid during our championship run to haul back Morton in 2004 but his season the following year was poor by comparison.    

Last I saw of Dunn he was playing with Linlithgow Rose and was coming back from injury. He was fucking huge and as slow as a wide load trying to negotiate a sharp bend with obstacles in the way. But he could still ping decent passes with that left peg.

Or it may have been his right. [emoji3]

Don't want to clutter up the sensory room thread as I think it deserves to be on it's own, for updates and maybe other clubs to join in.

Huge well done to everyone involved and I hope other clubs take this on too. Not because they have to but because they want to.

Greetings Diamonds

Any of you who endured that night at Tynecastle in 1991 may enjoy the Schadenfreude in this penalty award against us as we were just a couple of minutes from the next round of the cup. Who says fouls need to be in the box for it to be a penalty? See about 0.30 mark

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38949350 

Greetings Diamonds Any of you who endured that night at Tynecastle in 1991 may enjoy the Schadenfreude in this penalty award against us as we were just a couple of minutes from the next round of the cup. Who says fouls need to be in the box for it to be a penalty? See about 0.30 mark

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38949350 

That did come to mind when I saw it. Almost felt sorry for you, then "Davie Syme, ya b*****d" took over.

Can't find the video of THAT decision, but found this raking through videos. That must have been Johnnys longest ever punt, apart from being gale force wind assisted at Broadwood of course.

I was at Broomfield one day when big John scored direct from a goal kick wind assisted. We won 2-0 and I think it was St Johnstone. I don't think the video is it because it shows a kick from hand rather than a goal kick and on the video it was definitely an own goal. 

1 minute ago, waysider said:

I was at Broomfield one day when big John scored direct from a goal kick wind assisted. We won 2-0 and I think it was St Johnstone. I don't think the video is it because it shows a kick from hand rather than a goal kick and on the video it was definitely an own goal. 

Does the fact it's against Falkirk suggest it isn't that St Johnstone game ya muppet?

Just now, Chapelhall chap said:

Although the video is falkirk, John did score another against St Johnstone . I think the goalie was Mike Mcdonald and it was wind assisted so not quite a muppet

According to John,s book  Page 26 on15th January 1983. Scored in first minute and won a 5 pound bet from Norrie Anderson. From the Pavillion end if I remember. Drew Jarvie scored the other-great days but still in a lower division.

It must surely be curtains for the Dalziel experiment?

He was brought in as a consultant,  poor McBride had his name blackened immediately then Dalziel constructed the new management team of himself as an absent DOF, with his nose tapping, cheek scratching, Jennow consulting heid coach.

McBride's team and tactics won 4 league games before Xmas then they admit they need players once the losing streak halts.  A change of system and tactics ensues - back to neandrathal 442 and punts and we start to suffer some of the worst and most embarrassing results possible.

McBride's team conceded 1.65 goals per game and was dramatically improving.  Wilson's is over 2 now and worsening.

McBride had 17 points from 11 games (and his team/tactics continued to thrive for a spell under Wilson) = 1.55points/game.   Wilson's team, despite being gifted a winning run after McBride's scandalous termination is 19points from 13 games (1.46 points/game).

Wilson had a wonderful honeymoon period off someone else's back.   How dreadful do Wilson's last XI ges look in comparison to McBride?

Well, over the last 11 league games under Wilson we've lost 26 goals and had 4 wins and 1 draw (13 points).  Compare to McBride's 11 games...  17pts:13pts,  18goals against: 26 goals against.   We are clearly getting worse under Dalziel and Wilson.

First thing I'd be doing as chairman is immediately firing the DoF who has overseen this shambles.

Archived