Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Not all things are predictive.   All 6 of #GSC's posts were about our new loanee.  The first four started with the word "Think" but the last 2 didn't.   
On another positive note it could literally mean curtains for BoDiddy. 
Saturday's team?
Rohan
McGregor Mensing Gorman
McIntosh Hutton Conroy McDonald
Stewart Ryan and (Russell/Brown/McKay)

I think I'd be happy with with - I'd still give Russell a game if he can just stay on his feet (I know, miracles may happen).

I've still got serious ??? over McDonald ability to track back and defend/stop any crosses but I think I'm just being picky now!

I'll drag myself to the game despite my misgivings at the moment!

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No pleasing some folk tbh, screaming out for more defenders so we get rid of a dud winger, a dud striker, and a dud attacking mid and bring in an experienced CB and a young defender who has actually seen the accies first team unlike the other numpties we have had the last two years and still folk are unhappy, what did you expect? 

21 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

I've still got serious ??? over McDonald ability to track back and defend/stop any crosses but I think I'm just being picky now!

He's no Paul Lovering, that is for sure.

Positioning has been suspect since he signed.    If football is genuinely 90% mental and 10% physical,  then I'd suggest it's not extra running he needs

No pleasing some folk tbh, screaming out for more defenders so we get rid of a dud winger, a dud striker, and a dud attacking mid and bring in an experienced CB and a young defender who has actually seen the accies first team unlike the other numpties we have had the last two years and still folk are unhappy, what did you expect? 

Breaking news: football fans disagree

37 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

Breaking news: football fans disagree

Christ your wit knows no bounds the last two days, I am honestly completely stunned by your well worded and well thought out argument that I honestly have no comeback, just stunning really.

1 minute ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

With our transfer window dealings a load out and 2 players in???

A load out?   Who?  Scullion, Daly and Schmidt who were of no use.   We got 2 centre halves in,  one who already looks an astute move, the other who on closer inspection could be a major help.

What were you expecting?

31 minutes ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

I wasn't expecting much but I was expecting a more experienced player

I'm deliberately not being arsey,  as I wasn't expecting anything and I'm actually surprised we got someone as potentially good.

We got a lot of experience in Mensing, I'm wondering how you think it can be afforded and what counter moves could be made to facilitate getting an extra salary in.

I was going to post yesterday that I was surprised we haven't brought in a youngster on loan, so quite happy McGregor's been signed.

If you look at out bench on Saturday the only defensive cover was Cairns, who looks a decent enough player but has a lot of developing to do. Wouldn't be comfortable with having to rely on him if we had a bad run of injuries.

If nothing else add another body to a paper thin squad.

As somebody has said above this may release Stewart forward a bit which can only be a good thing.

32 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I was going to post yesterday that I was surprised we haven't brought in a youngster on loan, so quite happy McGregor's been signed.

If you look at out bench on Saturday the only defensive cover was Cairns, who looks a decent enough player but has a lot of developing to do. Wouldn't be comfortable with having to rely on him if we had a bad run of injuries.

If nothing else add another body to a paper thin squad.

As somebody has said above this may release Stewart forward a bit which can only be a good thing.

We have a big problem with our development squad as really none seem ready. I never expected 5 off them to make the breakthrough but it seems that they can't even be trusted to fill in occasionally. Jordan McGregor and Dean Cairns are virtually the same age!

3 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

I'm deliberately not being arsey,  as I wasn't expecting anything and I'm actually surprised we got someone as potentially good.

We got a lot of experience in Mensing, I'm wondering how you think it can be afforded and what counter moves could be made to facilitate getting an extra salary in.

Don't be daft, why on earth would you try and apply logic to this near train wreck of a squad, 3 duds out and 2 potential good players in is actually quite good maths tbh, was surprised to see another coming in after Mensing. But then again we could just do a Livi, run up loads of debt and hope for the best when people come knocking for their money

4 hours ago, WeeDiamond90 said:

Don't be daft, why on earth would you try and apply logic to this near train wreck of a squad, 3 duds out and 2 potential good players in is actually quite good maths tbh, was surprised to see another coming in after Mensing. But then again we could just do a Livi, run up loads of debt and hope for the best when people come knocking for their money

We've broke even the last two or three seasons, try again. Not even the highest budget in this league atm either :D 

Archived