Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Also, on Gary Bollan, his recruitment each summer was pretty terrible so there's not really any evidence that our squad would be much better with him here. Remember last season when we had 3 right backs and no left backs? 2 years in a row we looked like relegation fodder due to his signings and both years we were bailed out by high quality loanees or free agents half way through the season. This was partly budget related I accept, and I'd absolutely take him over Black, McBride or Wilson. But at the same time it's easy to overestimate the job he did. I didn't agree with the way he was effectively forced out, but I think his time had come to an end with us, the problem was the replacement managers we've appointed.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Completely, from top to bottom it's been a 'Jobs for the boys' project with people being appointed because he 'trusts them'. Whatever that means, I trust my friends but I wouldn't stick them in a job which they are not qualified for and bring nothing to.

The whole thing needs simplified. A proper manager should be appointed objectively after a proper application and interview process. They should be given whatever budget we have, given total control over signings and training and told to get us out the league. If they fail then there is one man accountable and you change them. There has been far too many people involved this season which has led to the total mess we have become.

According to our DOF on Clyde last week "we don't have a budget"; Wonder if that misrepresents the Club/Chairman and is a dismissable comment? Lets hope so. As the Donald says "its a mess". When we go to Alloa and win I will be the usual short term hypocrite but that's my job?

According to our DOF on Clyde last week "we don't have a budget"; Wonder if that misrepresents the Club/Chairman and is a dismissable comment? Lets hope so. As the Donald says "its a mess". When we go to Alloa and win I will be the usual short term hypocrite but that's my job?

After saying the DoF route wouldn't work at Rangers, he was asked what his role was. He said he helps with training through the week and is there if Wilson needs help to talk tactics/formation. On a match day Wilson has 100% control on players/formations/tactics, he takes nothing to do with it.

Regarding player recruitment he basically said what happened in January. Wilson identified that we needed a new centre half. Dalziel then checked the budget (there is none) says to Wilson he'll have to offload a couple of players to free up wages to get the new players in.

Nothing we didn't know or guess to be honest. I still think he needs to be there on a Saturday to see the team play. Only so much you can tell from the one angle of a video.

3 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

After saying the DoF route wouldn't work at Rangers, he was asked what his role was. He said he helps with training through the week and is there if Wilson needs help to talk tactics/formation. On a match day Wilson has 100% control on players/formations/tactics, he takes nothing to do with it.

Regarding player recruitment he basically said what happened in January. Wilson identified that we needed a new centre half. Dalziel then checked the budget (there is none) says to Wilson he'll have to offload a couple of players to free up wages to get the new players in.

Nothing we didn't know or guess to be honest. I still think he needs to be there on a Saturday to see the team play. Only so much you can tell from the one angle of a video.

I agree with your recollections/transcript . I am I know, being pedantic and if he'd said " no extra budget" I would have understood. I also like your video angle on his mentoring and DOF procedures. If it would not work at Rangers why on earth do we need it? 

I agree with your recollections/transcript . I am I know, being pedantic and if he'd said " no extra budget" I would have understood. I also like your video angle on his mentoring and DOF procedures. If it would not work at Rangers why on earth do we need it? 

You'll have to phone up on Thursday to ask that question yourself !

This is a good point, maybe we should all make a Thursday night the Airdrie night where everyone takes turns at phoning Clyde to speak to Dalziel & Wilson .

How the 2 of them can pontificate on Scottish Football after losing 0-5 to Stenny at home.

What next on Clyde, How to set your team up to defend & how to conduct yourself with Mark McGhee 

26 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

You'll have to phone up on Thursday to ask that question yourself !

Indeed although I think it might have been on Tuesday show when DOF is not with MW. I like listening to the phone in when the telly is rotten as it is on a Tuesday, but I did previously ask the club about DOF position and Saturday duties and was told Gordon did not hide that fact of  his radio job taking precedence. Maybe I will ask them again about the comparison. Thanks

Indeed although I think it might have been on Tuesday show when DOF is not with MW. I like listening to the phone in when the telly is rotten as it is on a Tuesday, but I did previously ask the club about DOF position and Saturday duties and was told Gordon did not hide that fact of  his radio job taking precedence. Maybe I will ask them again about the comparison. Thanks

Aye he's on with Roger Hannah (I think) on Tuesday and with Wilson on a Thursday.

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone how they should support the team, the word "support" being the crucial part of your sentence. I'm not sure of many definitions of that which would include verbally abusing players and management during a game.

I will continue to direct my abuse at the opposition players, management and match officials and if our team are so honking that I can't encourage them I'll maintain a silence and maybe boo them off at the end. And that silence will involve not being sanctimonious and castigating the fans who are shouting abuse at their own team. Each to their own. I just don't agree with it and nor do I have to.

I never asked you to agree with it. Some people encourage, some folk sit silent, some folk moan at the end and others shout abuse.

No one approach is right but it only ever seems to be the happy clapper hippys that seem to have an issue and are completely intolerant of others method of support and try to enforce "their way" on others.

The issue isn't with how people choosing to support the team it's folk actively trying to regulate how others do.

I personally don't shout abuse during a game as I find it counter productive but if others want to do so then that's up to them- it's also pretty traditional fare at airdrie and part of what has always happened in the 30 years I've been going to the games.

The happy clappers might think they're sticking up for the team by expressing their dismay at the negativity but trey ain't- because their sanctimonious ways just makes other folk want to ramp up the abuse to annoy these holier than thou supporters. I've seen it happen a few times this season.

2 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I never asked you to agree with it. Some people encourage, some folk sit silent, some folk moan at the end and others shout abuse.

No one approach is right but it only ever seems to be the happy clapper hippys that seem to have an issue and are completely intolerant of others method of support and try to enforce "their way" on others.

The issue isn't with how people choosing to support the team it's folk actively trying to regulate how others do.

I personally don't shout abuse during a game as I find it counter productive but if others want to do so then that's up to them- it's also pretty traditional fare at airdrie and part of what has always happened in the 30 years I've been going to the games.

The happy clappers might think they're sticking up for the team by expressing their dismay at the negativity but trey ain't- because their sanctimonious ways just makes other folk want to ramp up the abuse to annoy these holier than thou supporters. I've seen it happen a few times this season.

You should have heard the comments Munro the Butcher got from the old centre stand in the Broomfield days. There was a guy along from us from Coatbridge, but a fierce Airdrie fan who had just one arm ; we nicknamed him "wingy" ( But not to his face as he was as likely to sort us out as the opponents or the unfortunate manager) who gave pelters one week and huge support the next. Takes all sorts-even Ally McLeod got it. I  fear even my school pal, the late great Derek Whiteford might have suffered my moans. What happens at the present stadium at least brings a bit of atmosphere and noise if we get upset.  watching the highlights Russell is onside but par for the course that the Assisant Ref gets it wrong.  Might have made a difference but I fear not.

No matter how much grief and advice Wilson gets during the game he must be standing there pishing himself every time that guy with the ginger hair, low hung joggies, and builder's cleavage shreiks advice at him.   

Had the misfortune of watching the u20s today.  A really sorry looking outfit coached by Donald Doolittle (and Faxie)!!!  No discipline and seemingly little organisation.  Big Dean got sent off for swearing and Doolittle failing to...  well, everything.    We don't have much coming through from what was a good bunch of kids.

It is a bit concerning that our u20s, who must all be full time, are getting regularly thrashed by sides you wouldn't necessarily expect to have good youth set ups.

Seems we were significantly better in previous years. Doesn't really bode well that these guys are expected to step up into the first team in the next 12 months.

54 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

It is a bit concerning that our u20s, who must all be full time, are getting regularly thrashed by sides you wouldn't necessarily expect to have good youth set ups.

Seems we were significantly better in previous years. Doesn't really bode well that these guys are expected to step up into the first team in the next 12 months.

Whilst the first team will always be the priority this must be extremely worrying for TW.

I thought the whole idea was to have a core of experienced pros who could carry a bunch of experienced kids who'd thrive, be sold, and replaced by a thriving academy.

Now we have lost our Academy director, our scouting is lamentable, our 20s are seemingly bereft of anyone really pushing through, especially defenders and we have Donald Doolittle running them.   The dinosaur who has ruined our 1st team says we cant play kids, even though we are getting worse.

I have no idea what our present is so I have no idea about our future direction.   Dalziel, Wilson and Wotherspoon weren't at the 20s game but AnnMarie was.  Make of that what you will.

19 hours ago, Yoda8 said:

This is a good point, maybe we should all make a Thursday night the Airdrie night where everyone takes turns at phoning Clyde to speak to Dalziel & Wilson .

How the 2 of them can pontificate on Scottish Football after losing 0-5 to Stenny at home.

What next on Clyde, How to set your team up to defend & how to conduct yourself with Mark McGhee 

We would need to pretend we were on to talk about the ugly sisters (Dembele is worth £50m and Rangers are still a footballing force) before they'd let you on....

I thought the whole idea was to have a core of experienced pros who could carry a bunch of experienced kids who'd thrive, be sold, and replaced by a thriving academy.
Now we have lost our Academy director, our scouting is lamentable, our 20s are seemingly bereft of anyone really pushing through, especially defenders and we have Donald Doolittle running them.   The dinosaur who has ruined our 1st team says we cant play kids, even though we are getting worse.
I have no idea what our present is so I have no idea about our future direction.   Dalziel, Wilson and Wotherspoon weren't at the 20s game but AnnMarie was.  Make of that what you will.

Dalziel has said numerous times (in his proper job and the interview in the paper) that he loves helping kids, he sees that as his future rather than a managerial role. Seems strange to me that after working all week with the kids he wouldn't want to see the result of his training. I take it he was at Dens yesterday then ?

For us to make any further progress either Russell or Brown needs dropped, can't carry two passengers in midfield.

Dalziel should go & get a wise head in dugout.

Wilson needs to give up radio slot, concentrate on day job & not be drawn into conversations he should not be having in public (budgets, players not up to it etc.)

Archived