Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

150 goals over a 14 year career is pretty much a 10 goal a season average, and you cant just pick 1 terrific year that the guy had from a goalscoring point of view and hold that up as a typical year for him.

I'm not saying he would be a bad signing, just don't expect too many goals from him.

Stop digging a hole, he is the possible signing we could get :-)

On that note, Iain Russell has just announced via Twitter he's left qots.

Here is hoping he signs for us, would be possibly be the best striker in league the only other striker i rate in the league as highly is McAllister.

Here is hoping he signs for us, would be possibly be the best striker in league the only other striker i rate in the league as highly is McAllister.

f**k sake calm down, you're like a demented schoolgirl.

There was a tremendous degree of irony there. I knew well in advance he was signing though I have no idea why we wanted him. I was teeing that one up for a rant. I'm sure someone in a post a few days ago hinted at that (maybe christbitch?).

Guilty. As a sarcastic c**t myself I thought I recognised the signs.

I'd be happy to see Russell at Airdrie.

How can he be the best striker in the league if he hasn't played in this league for years.........

Guilty. As a sarcastic c**t myself I thought I recognised the signs.

I'd be happy to see Russell at Airdrie.

I'd be happy to see him play for us too but struggling presently to see the "dream" scenario.

When building a team we need the right mix of abilities as, at the end of the season, the league table is just a stat. We need to be able to concede less or equal to a goal per game. Even at 33 I'd expect around 15 from Russell and a dozen from Ryan too if they stay fit and get a supply. That could be a good starting point.

I'd be happy to see him play for us too but struggling presently to see the "dream" scenario.

When building a team we need the right mix of abilities as, at the end of the season, the league table is just a stat. We need to be able to concede less or equal to a goal per game. Even at 33 I'd expect around 15 from Russell and a dozen from Ryan too if they stay fit and get a supply. That could be a good starting point.

Ideally we need a 20-25 goal a season striker but that's highly unlikely but as you said Russell and Ryan could be a decent starting point on that. The problem then becomes finding a creative midfielder.

Ok sorry, 0.37 games per game (150 goals in 404 league games) just because a dumbarton fans says 1 in 2 doesnt mean its a fact

Mibbes best to read what I posted first. 

Bear in mind that's 304 starts/14 years so it's effectively 11 goals in 22 starts every season for 14 years. 1 in 2, that's a very decent average.

The constant uproar on the forum is laughable.

I don't ever remember the chairman saying "there will be no players over the age of 26". If he did it's got to be put down to naivety as there's no chance we could compete with a team of kids.

Someone like Russell would be a magnificent signing. If your two first team strikers are Ryan (21) and Coogans (18/19) you need an experienced guy in there with them.

Experienced guys like Faria, Fitzptrick, Russell etc will all be imperative to a successful next season, regardless of what anyone thinks of their individual quality.

How can he be the best striker in the league if he hasn't played in this league for years.........

So if we were signing messi ,would i be wrong to say we are signing possibly the best player in the league just because he's not played in the league the previous season.

The constant uproar on the forum is laughable.

I don't ever remember the chairman saying "there will be no players over the age of 26". If he did it's got to be put down to naivety as there's no chance we could compete with a team of kids.

Someone like Russell would be a magnificent signing. If your two first team strikers are Ryan (21) and Coogans (18/19) you need an experienced guy in there with them.

Experienced guys like Faria, Fitzptrick, Russell etc will all be imperative to a successful next season, regardless of what anyone thinks of their individual quality.

Agree with your statement.

Archived