Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Even though i still don't understand the exact structure of the full time 20's, apprentice thing. What a great opportunity it is for some of these boy's to make the grade and i'm firmly in the hats off to TW for the out of the box thinking.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good on the signing side of things signing Higgins and Louden. I am hoping we sign other 3 experienced players to bring the youth on. The cup draw was decent apart from QoS as it is always handy if the games are local.

Looking good on the signing side of things signing Higgins and Louden. I am hoping we sign other 3 experienced players to bring the youth on. The cup draw was decent apart from QoS as it is always handy if the games are local.

It's only an hour and a half away... Cracking day out as well

We will find out tomorrow

You've not been very vocal on the signing of Andy Goram as a coach. The well known bigot and proscribed terrorist sympathizer. You've frequently gone on about the hypocrisy of our fans. Surely you wouldn't be a hypocrite and rightly denounce this signing as a disgrace? 

You've not been very vocal on the signing of Andy Goram as a coach. The well known bigot and proscribed terrorist sympathizer. You've frequently gone on about the hypocrisy of our fans. Surely you wouldn't be a hypocrite and rightly denounce this signing as a disgrace?

I've barred myself from discussing controversial issues online. Waste of life. I am sure you can work out my views though...

What games are at home? How is it decided, biased in favour of the seeded clubs I expect.

I think the draw is made tomorrow although I'm not 100% sure on that front.

What position does Louden play? Is he a winger?

That's a lot of U20s players signed up. Now for the quality, experienced centre half and creative midfielder please...

All gone quiet on rumours and recruitment front, we still still look toothless in some positions heres hoping we can sort before start of season ♦ï¸

Our 2 new signings have been really encouraging. Hopefully that's just the tip of the iceberg!

I think Higgins is a right back and I expect him to be a starter for next year.

Higgins is a left back

Says on the website he's a right back. Will assume that's correct although of course maybe he can play left - back too. I could see him being the starting right - back TBH.

Goalkeepers: 

Rohan Ferguson 

Matthew Kerr (App)

Defenders: 

Joe Gorman

Kieran MacDonald

Arran Ross

Sean McIntosh**

John Higgins

Dean Cairns (App)

Craig Truesdale (App) 

Connor Bell (App)

Midfielders: 

Hugo Faria

Adam Brown

Marc Fitzpatrick*

Scott Stewart

Murray Louden

Robbie Leighton (App) 

Connor McLaughlin (App)

Calvin Cowie (App)

Forwards: 

Andy Ryan 

Iain Russell**

Ciaran Reilly 

Scott Thomson (App) 

Cammy Russell (App)

*Can also play defence 

**Can also play midfield 

***Can also play as a forward

****Can play in defence, midfield or as a forward

That's how I make the squad to be so far. Very young and clearly more experience and quality needed. Particularly in defence and in midfield where we are absolutely crying out for some creativity. How much scope there is to bring in what's needed though I'm not sure of. If you're reading King and Wotherspoon (which you are) you know what to do (hopefully)...

Guest LonglivetheKING

Looks fairly weak still and at least 3 or 4 signings needed.

Definite need for a playmaker in centre mid, not sure what's going on with the defence just now. We'll definitely need a really good centre half too.

I agree with the poster, overall I am happy with the strikers we have two strikers in Ryan and Russell who I believe will get at least 25 goals between them. The defence I expect to be Higgins, McDonald and Gorman. I would like us to sign another centre half with first team experience. The midfield, stewart I am happy with and he showed in the Ayr game he can also play out wide. The players with a point to prove are Adam Brown,and Marc Fitzpatrick. I fancy Leighton to push for a first team slot in the centre off midfield. We could do with a winger, but the now i could see loudon or mclaughlin getting the nod. Generally with signings we have made and the young players we have held on to i would say we need 3 senior pro's to bolster the depth of the squad and make us that little more streetwise in the league. I am pleased though we have young players as well as very good first team players in Russell and Ryan.

Goalkeepers: 

Rohan Ferguson 

Matthew Kerr (App)

Defenders: 

Joe Gorman

Kieran MacDonald

Arran Ross

Sean McIntosh**

John Higgins

Dean Cairns (App)

Craig Truesdale (App) 

Connor Bell (App)

Midfielders: 

Hugo Faria

Adam Brown

Marc Fitzpatrick*

Scott Stewart

Murray Louden

Robbie Leighton (App) 

Connor McLaughlin (App)

Calvin Cowie (App)

Forwards: 

Andy Ryan 

Iain Russell**

Ciaran Reilly 

Scott Thomson (App) 

Cammy Russell (App)

*Can also play defence 

**Can also play midfield 

***Can also play as a forward

****Can play in defence, midfield or as a forward

That's how I make the squad to be so far. Very young and clearly more experience and quality needed. Particularly in defence and in midfield where we are absolutely crying out for some creativity. How much scope there is to bring in what's needed though I'm not sure of. If you're reading King and Wotherspoon (which you are) you know what to do (hopefully)...

The one thing that worries me is that we have no experienced CB's or wing backs, MacDonald is currently our most experienced defender, I am sure the players from the under 20's are great prospects but with this being their very first year in the senior team they need a commanding figure in and around them, makes me wonder if the plan now that Lithgow and Crighton have moved on is to drop Fitz back into defence?

Archived