The Partick Thistle thread

It's going to be an exciting but tricky run in to the split. Teams fighting for their premiership place (which we know all about) tend to be the hardest teams to play. With Killie and DU coming up after the break it may come down to who wants it the most in these games. What's on our side is the players have a big incentive to get into the top 6 which is a coup in itself. I am sure there is a financial incentive but also a personal and team incentive to make a little history. Plus Archie must be in with a shout of at least a nomination for manager of the year if the team does it. Doubt he'd win it with the Staggies winning the league cup and potentially finishing top 6 but he's certainly got a shout. Just hope we can hold on to him after the season is done! Board need to recognize his achievements and get him on a better deal surely!?

To finish with 43 points would be great running into split and give us a chance. The max of 46 points would be exceptional and put us in position to really enjoy the last half dozen games of the season getting Osman, Lawless and maybe one or two others signed on for next year or two.

The next step wouldn't just be to solidify us as a premiership club but to also see if we can have a go at winning some silverware. It's so disappointing to be so dire in the cups every year! But all in good time. There is no doubt there are many behind the scenes doing a great job and he players all seem to be enjoying themselves. Long may it continue.

What a time to be a jags fan. 🤗🤗🤗

Need to tie up the spine of the squad for next season, can worry about Lawless, Amoo etc AFTER Osman, Seaborne and Frans (think he's out of contract end of this season?)

After Osman, Lawless would be the first player I'd want tied up. We really seem to struggle for creativity without him, from what I've seen this season.

Osman and Seaborne are the key 2 for me, Lawless would be a nice to have but with Erskine coming back and Archie being more conservative this season I can't see us going back to 3 proper attacking midfielders from the start in many games so Amoo and Erskine would do. There's part of me that wouldn't be upset to see Lawless go tbh, his year to year deals which are apparently to motivate him are blatantly him keeping his options open every summer to see if anything better is out there and whilst he's perfectly entitled to do it with the board now seemingly content with handing out 2 or 3 year deals if we could get someone else in who we could rely on to build a team around for the next few years I'd say cheerio to him.

I expect if we get top 6 or at least enough points pre split to just miss out but be 9+ points ahead of 11th we will start to get news about more extensions or find out who is off elsewhere. It might be to our benefit this year as we may be able to get some deals done early rather than scraping about for what's left at the end of August although Osman coming in as a trialist and Dumbuya joining after the window shut shows it doesn't necessarily just mean it's dross left after a month or 2 of the summer.

Osman and Seaborne are the key 2 for me

Them plus Cerny were the 3 I was most concerned about mid-way through this season; the leaders that make up the spine of our team. Delighted we got Cerny sorted quickly, and hopefully these two (Osman especially) will follow once our league status is confirmed.

Seen Osman was 'liking' a couple comments on twitter after the match urging him to stay and sign a new deal, he's the main one we need to keep imo.

Disagree above about not being bothered about Lawless, think he's a massive player for us and has become a game changer the last year or so. Obviously doesn't score a barrow load (although has been chipping in with some decent goals) but he's one of the few players who drives the team forward and despite his small stature his ball retention is generally superb, he can glide through challenges when going forward, must have quite a few assists as well including another one at the weekend there. Think we would struggle to replace him with an equally talented player.

Confident of Frans and Seaborne signing up, and Miller I thought would leave after Dumbuya was playing every week but think he'll be content with his recent run of games. Amoo took a while to settle but has finally shown how good he can be recently. Same with Pogba (who will hopefully be better next year after a pre-season), and although Edwards had a good game the other day would need to see him start more games to judge properly tbh.

Edit: No doubt German will be gone and probably Nesbitt (sp?) as well.

Edited by Red 'N Yellow

I still have a bit of concern about Amoo, hoping that the largely poor first half of the season was just him settling in and he isn't one of these guys who hits form in the last few months of his contract then disappears again once he's got a deal in place.

Lawless has been decent this year, I'd be happy if he stayed but as POTM said he's pretty openly touting himself about and with 2 good seasons under his belt I'd imagine other teams in this league will be looking at him- if one offers more money then I've no doubt he'll be off like a shot. 

I've thought the chances of Miller staying post-Dumbuya would depend on whether he can cover other positions as having a dedicated backup right back seems a bit of an extravagance for a club at our level- wasn't there on Saturday so don't know how he coped at CB, if we reckon he can cover plus on the basis of this season Dumbuya does seem a bit injury prone then he's certainly worth keeping. Also just realised Miller's only 4 months older than Dumbuya, for some reason I though there was 2 or 3 years in it.

I'm still not massively sold on any of our centre halves as individuals, but the defensive record speaks for itself so would be quite happy to see Dan and Fred stay, though if it's clear that Archie prefers Lindsay to Frans then Fred might well go.

Edwards only seems to play much in the games I don't go to, so don't have much of an opinion, but he has probably overtaken Nesbitt, can't see the latter getting many more starts unless we're trying to butter Celtic up to give us him back for next year. 

Osman is beyond obvious as a "keep", fingers crossed. German is this year's token "why the f**k did we sign him?", and Wilson and Scully have probably run out of chances. Wilson will end up at Dumbarton or similar, guess Scully will find has way back to Dunfermline.

edit: Chris Duggan to sign a 5 year extension then be loaned out to Queen's park for 4 years with an option to extend.

Edited by Fuctifano

Keep: Seaborne, Frans, Osman, Lawless, Amoo, Pogba. Don't see all of them staying but it would be nice.

Unsure: Miller, Edwards. Would keep Miller if he's always as solid as we was as Saturday at CB but he won't be playing against shite like Brophy all the time. Edwards seems to be like a quicker Craigen and would like to see more of him.

Bin: Scully, Wilson, German and Welsh. First two are just shite. German's obviously not impressed much in training. Welsh is obvious but is under contract unfortunately.

We will probably get another CB since we started with 4 this season and Jack Hendry was sold to Wigan so we're effectively 1 CB short despite Miller slotting in.

I think Seaborne is higher priority than Frans due to leadership qualities alone (when was the last time we had players square go eachother (seaborne n muzzy)). We will need leaders to pull us out of the inevitable guaranteed run of miserable results next season.

Would like to see us compete with other sides for signings just to disrupt their plans, ie nabbing championship players before the likes of Dundee n co.

English lower leagues have been a happy hunting ground for us tbf. Seaborne, Dumbuya, Osman for example. Think there are generally only a few players in the lower leagues in Scotland that are worth a shot each season and they're all hunted by clubs with bigger budgets than us. We managed to get Booth and Cerny but I don't know if there was any other interest in them.

We managed to sign Stevenson ahead of around 13 other clubs actually, probably because of the length of contract we offered.

I have always liked Vaulks anytime I have seen him

Would require a fee and there will be bigger teams than us interested.

Alston is the only Championship player (apart from Hibs and Rangers) that I'd be interested in.

As Reid says, I think Alston is the only realistic target - and even at that, I think we'd be behind a few other potential suitors.

There's obviously the boy Mallan at St Mirren but he's very much destined for bigger things than us, I suspect.

Little value to be found in Scotland for a team like Thistle.

Quite happy with us dipping the free agent market down south as previous. As Armand says, sod all value up here for us unless we are alot more megabucks in the next window. Unsure how ambitious we will be in terms of new players but Erskine is hardly a massive statement of intent.