Unlikely league winners

AMC13

Leicester City's title win this season has got me interested and made me wonder, what other examples are there around Europe.

The ones I can think of that are as good and great shocks are

1984/85 Hellas Verona (Italy)

1997/98 FC Kaiserslautern (Germany)

1999/00 Deportivo La Coruna (Spain)

2000/01 Boavista (Portugal)

2011/12 Montpellier (France)

Are these examples or any other as special as Leicester's or better.

Bursaspor - 09/10 Turkish champions

AZ Alkmaar - 08/09 Dutch champions

Although they are a massive club I would say Atletico Madrid winning La Liga in 13/14 was a huge achievement given the circumstances.

There's been a few in lesser known leagues in recent years like Denmark and Norway.

Nordsjaelland and Midtjylland in Denmark along with Molde and Stromsgodset [under Ronny Deila] in Norway.

SJK won the league for the first time in Finland last year too. They were only formed in 2007.

Hapeol Be'er Sheva are on the verge of winning the title in Israel for the first time in 40 years and if Piast Gliwice better Legia Warsaw's result this weekend then they will win their first-ever Polish title as well.

Seems to be a year for it.

Wolfsburg winning the Bundesliga in 08/09 season was pretty special - especially considering they hammered Bayern Munich 5-1 on their way to the title.

Was that the season when there were 6 teams that could still win it right til the death?

FC Rostov still have a chance of winning the league ahead of Spartak, Lokomotiv, Zenit and CSKA.

Was that the season when there were 6 teams that could still win it right til the death?

I think Wolfsburg won it with a few games to spare.

With that being said, I'm not an ardent follower of the Bundesliga, so I'm not 100% confident about that.

auxerre winning the French title in the 90s id have thought

Seems a far-fetched scenario now, but they were a useful team under Guy Roux (I think) and were especially strong at home. IIRC Marseille were decent, Lyon pre Juninho weren't, Monaco had some fine players but PSG were massive under achievers.

Auxerre were a bit of a surprise rather than a shock imo

Molde.

I think Molde have a decent amount of money by Norwegian club standards so perhaps not that big a shock.

I remember this as, I think, their wealthy owner threatened to quit and take his cash with him if Solskjaer left to take the Villa job.

Fc twente winning the Dutch league is an achievement under the wolly with the brolly, not sure if they had overspent budget wise to do it though as they've done nothing since then

They finished runners up the very next season.

Archived