CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

1 hour ago, the_bully_wee said:

Oliver loaned to Shire until the end of January. Not the biggest of surprises, really, but leaves us short of defensive cover. Also saw this on twitter, but don't follow Darren Miller so can't see the original tweet...

c1bb4dd7d61a73d5b0a2e0bd44bfdd2c.png

I do, he's signed for you lot. So that's your ex-Dumbarton player covered (though he didn't actually play for us).

Screenshot 2016-11-11 at 16.11.53.png

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Miller and Tiffoney... Hmm looks like he thinks you need a bit more width. Can't say I mind too much of Miller but decent record and player at this level.

I wonder if Clyde will ever be on the verge of signing someone whilst BF is manager without rumours of Lovenkrands/Gazza/Sebo/Shiels/Amoruso etc popping up. ;)

Loanees nothing to do with ex-newco rumours.

Also, Miller's more of a central player? Get Linton out wide and Gormley on the bench with Johnston and hopefully a returning Flynn. 

Edited by David W

#setpieces. 

Was a decent player in his first spell at QP. Plus I assume we'll be paying him £0.

Did he score against us at hampden ? Wasn't sure if he was the guy who scored and ran over to us to give it a big GIRUY:)

Mental to put Linton out wide unless this lad's a patch on him. Certifiable behaviour.

Why we've loaned out a lad who we signed back in the summer, having let him go before it... That's just taking the c**t out of him. Better full-back than McNiff or Johnstone, too. By miles. We're leaving ourselves chained to the ridiculous reality of 'Niff and Johnstone at the back.

We got a coup with Tiffoney... And now this? Da fuq.

Mental to put Linton out wide unless this lad's a patch on him. Certifiable behaviour.

Why we've loaned out a lad who we signed back in the summer, having let him go before it... That's just taking the c**t out of him. Better full-back than McNiff or Johnstone, too. By miles. We're leaving ourselves chained to the ridiculous reality of 'Niff and Johnstone at the back.

We got a coup with Tiffoney... And now this? Da fuq.

Is this the same Michael Oliver that played for Clyde this season?

I didn't notice him being brilliant.

Well it's a good job nobody's made such a claim then, or else we'd have a disagreement.

What evidence is there that he's better than the two existing fullbacks?

He's hardly played in those positions but he's better than the left and right backs? He certainly wasn't outstanding as a centre half

Perhaps the Lowland League may be his level. (Not a criticism).

I'm not keen on Johnson but he does have pace. What does Oliver bring to that position?

I have nothing against Oliver and I would be genuinely interested to know what you see in him that means he's better at full back than the incumbents.

Firstly, the "left and right backs" you write about could as well be Peter MacDonald and David Gormley. Until they were played as full-backs, Johnstone and McNiff had no more claim than anyone else to be considered as such; and much less than most, one could argue. McNiff played for a short while as a left-back for Annan. He came there as a midfielder, and found his calling as a centre-half in time. Stirling fans will read this and wince: the idea of Johnstone as a full-back is a laughable one to them, for good reason.

Oliver hasn't played as a full-back/wing-back in his current spell with Clyde, you're correct. He did put in some comfortable shifts there last time round, however; he operated on the flank, then, better than Johnstone and McNiff have any hope of doing now. Virtually every shift those two have put in as FBs/WBs has been muck. This isn't an opinion: the highlights packages demonstrate this unambiguously. They are the chinks in our armour.

Bottom-line: Oliver knows how to defend and that makes him better than Johnstone; he's agile: which makes him better than McNiff, who he's also a good bit quicker than across the ground. He's a strong lad, another edge he has on Johnstone, and it's in that respect he's improved since returning to Clyde: he's clearly bulked up. What he had last time round was versatility: he's got a decent brain and can patch-in in quite a few spots. Yes: he's a poor centre-half, I agree. He's too wee for it. No argument.

We're letting go a player who we've reason to believe can deliver, and has done before, who's improved himself since returning, all only in order to stick with two lower-mediocre stand-in types, who have no more claim to be "full-backs" or "wing-backs" than he does. Less, in my view.

You're arguing for the sake of it here. Nobody would have Johnstone and/or McNiff as full-backs if they thought there was a plausible alternative worth a try. Except Barry, apparently.

Edited by Sao Paulo

You're arguing for the sake of it here. Nobody would have Johnstone and/or McNiff as full-backs if they thought there was a plausible alternative worth a try. Except Barry, apparently.

You're probably right about me arguing for the sake of it. Johnston is poor at right back and McNiff hasn't been great.

I just can't get your insistence that Oliver is better based on games played many seasons ago and the few minutes played at full back since his return.

I trust the manager in this regard. He brought him into the club and loses a wee bit of face letting him go out on loan so early in the season. I don't think he would do this on a whim.