CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

In my opinion the centre of midfield lacks mobility and pace. It's easy for the opposition. They always have plenty of time to pick their passes.

You only need to look at the Arbroath goal yesterday to see our midfielder left for dead by a simple one two.

You rarely see McLaughlin making a tackle. Not a statement you like to hear about our main defensive midfielder and Captain.

One of the undropables no doubt pals with the management team but like Higgins they try everything to shoe horn them into the team in Higgins case dropped brought back in first chance dropped again and bet your bottom dollar he starts on Saturday

Yes, but look at the highlights, we only lost one goal more through good fortune than design
True, their goal came from their player not being tracked back but there were still wide open spaces to run into. Some were simple long punts over the back to completely unmarked strikers
Of course the midfield has a job to do, play their part, but the main problem is the lack of organisation, focus and probably ability of that defence, and has been since August.  But the January window's past, they need to somehow find a way to pick up points.

I agree the defence hasn't played well,so they problem need even more protection from a central midfield who are in most matches anonymous

With the usual scape goat of Flynn who gets removed every game

One of the undropables no doubt pals with the management team but like Higgins they try everything to shoe horn them into the team in Higgins case dropped brought back in first chance dropped again and bet your bottom dollar he starts on Saturday

You are tying yourself in knots, there. Higgins is one of the undropables but has been on the bench in two out of three games they have been in charge.

As I said previously I don't think they should have got the job but they have made the changes we wanted.

You are tying yourself in knots, there. Higgins is one of the undropables but has been on the bench in two out of three games they have been in charge.

As I said previously I don't think they should have got the job but they have made the changes we wanted.

Changes you wanted [emoji4]

See if you read it is said Mclaughlin is one of the undropables
My point with Higgins is they drop him for one match team plays ok straight back in ( injuries ha ha ) dropped again will be straight back in on Saturday because we need experience [emoji23]

8 hours ago, Elementary Penguin said:

Thing is Sao, you're forgetting the concerted agenda which exists among those fuds who think they are afficionados (coaching courses and boys' team management roles are fucking chocca with them) whose first tick of a box, is to cross off the removal of the emotional side of playing the game. Any number of ex gaffers could walk into that room, and feel the stench of pure rot that exists among that lot, and probably wouldn't give half of them a game of Subbuteo. What DW appears to be suggesting (and i'd love an explanation if he fucking well isnae) is that no fewer than eight players who have been consistent Championship standard players, nees coached to play League Bastartin' Two hoofball.  Not a rocket fired up them, or motivated somehow differently to how they have been at Clyde until now, but YET MORE mollycoddling. This from the guy who appeared to crack on the way back from Berwick on Tuesday. 

It's a sorry thing, isn't? The apologetics; the sophistry. I just watched McGovern's post-match interview. I hope what he says about not looking over our shoulder is just a bit of face. If those lads are being asked to behave as though there isn't a trapdoor under their feet, they're not going to gnash, claw and tear like they need to. The only thing John Brown ever done that anyone will look back on positively is keep us - temporarily - in the first division. The team that finished that season was playing out of its skin; better than it could've if it was playing on the premise: this is just another game. That same fog of fear really needs to settle in the minds of the squad now. If you're not playing for a play-off, and we're not, you're playing to survive.

But look... We've three home games in a row. We could leapfrog Stirling in that run if the penny drops. But if we're not going to beat Edinburgh on Saturday, that should be frontier of our tolerance. We gave Barry the transfer window. Looking back, that was a mistake. He brought in players who were absolutely peripheral as patches on our problems. In that time, a better gaffer would've made our back-line watertight and we wouldn't be having this conversation; maybe he brings in a forward too, back then, and we're looking at the play-offs again.

3 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Whilst I agree with your post and comment on smith and perry, binning both with the squad we have to hand leaves us a problem. Who actually plays CB? McNiff and ??

Bring in another one, ideally. But I don't know what the market's like. What happened to Kevin Roo-stay-weetz? You'd probably have to settle for Perry on the basis that he does win virtually all of his headers and give us a bit of security at corners (compared to the in-squad alternatives, anyway).

Someone wrote that Perry really ought to be good enough at this level. I remember some posters tore strips off others when Perry signed. That was because some supporters had - seemingly - written him off before he'd kicked a ball. I had a swatch at his CV back then. I remember thinking: if you're his age and you've barely had a full season worth of starts behind you... There's enough there to worry a gaffer, I'd have thought. He'd a good début - with one fatal error - and a good shift over at Edinburgh. But if you look hard at his contribution elsewhere, you'll see that he's leaky. Whatever we settle with now, we need better in the future.

I cringe when reading our pre-pubescent fans exchange playground insults with Clyde's pre-pubescent fans. It's only a month ago that we were in a similar position and looking down the barrel.  
They don't embarrass our club, but they do deserve to embarrass themselves.

Its football mate, when we were in a similar position we were slagged.

1 hour ago, cfcuk said:

I agree the defence hasn't played well,so they problem need even more protection from a central midfield who are in most matches anonymous

With the usual scape goat of Flynn who gets removed every game

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but it's about personnel and the types of players they are

So for yesterday's game I thought maybe a back 5, or 4 with 2 holding in front. But the two have to be ball winning defensive minded who can play that role effectively.  Flynn, Ferguson etc are attacking midfielders, so with what we have I can only imagine a pairing of McLaughlin and McMillan or Johnston

You can't just put people in anywhere and demand they do a job they're not suited for

Plus the next few games are ”must wins", draws might not be enough, I don't know if a back 4 with a holding 2 will deliver. So it's a difficult one for them to strike the balance, but it's all caused by the weakness in defence. 

Out of interest, for the next game, what would your preferred line up be?

3 hours ago, BinoBalls said:

I think Clyde will be safe this season. 

Youve had a tough schedule recently ever since you drew with us in the Scottish cup. That gave rise to a replay, and then another draw v Ayr in the next round (when everyone else was on league duty) resulted in another midweek replay, this time going to extra time. 

You've then be playing catchup. Fixtures most midweeks against teams who haven't had your fixture schedule, and come up against teams on the Saturday who have been rested all week. 

For a part-time team, this is bound to take its toll. 

Yes Barry Ferguson was crap and perhaps several players don't inspire confidence, but a team who can go toe to toe with Ayr don't strike me as ready to drop out the league. 

This midweek you finally have a rest. And then on Saturday you play Edinburgh, who themselves have a game on Wednesday night. 

Prediction: Clyde will win on Saturday and revert more to their top-half form for the rest of the season.

Edinburgh played on Tuesday away to Cowdenbeath and then away to the league leaders yesterday. Six points. Not buying the lack of training sessions/too many games patterns. We are simply a team filled with no commitment, no belief and no confidence. 

If we lose our next two games we must be favours for bottom spot. And who would back us against an in form East Kilbride?

Desperate times. Will quite happily take nineth place at the seasons end and clear the club out from top bottom, on and off the pitch. 

Edinburgh played on Tuesday away to Cowdenbeath and then away to the league leaders yesterday. Six points. Not buying the lack of training sessions/too many games patterns. We are simply a team filled with no commitment, no belief and no confidence. 
If we lose our next two games we must be favours for bottom spot. And who would back us against an in form East Kilbride?
Desperate times. Will quite happily take nineth place at the seasons end and clear the club out from top bottom, on and off the pitch. 

Excellent post

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but it's about personnel and the types of players they are
So for yesterday's game I thought maybe a back 5, or 4 with 2 holding in front. But the two have to be ball winning defensive minded who can play that role effectively.  Flynn, Ferguson etc are attacking midfielders, so with what we have I can only imagine a pairing of McLaughlin and McMillan or Johnston
You can't just put people in anywhere and demand they do a job they're not suited for
Plus the next few games are ”must wins", draws might not be enough, I don't know if a back 4 with a holding 2 will deliver. So it's a difficult one for them to strike the balance, but it's all caused by the weakness in defence. 
Out of interest, for the next game, what would your preferred line up be?

It might have been a shout against Arbroath but we can't line up at home against Edinburgh with two defensive midfielders.

Amazingly Edinburgh have not scored against us in three attempts. In the recent away game Edinburgh barely threatened us the whole game.

I don't think bringing anyone in is an option. Unless we can get somebody on an emergency loan. Whatever budget was left was blown in January bringing players that we don't need - McKenzie, Finnie and Lochhead. McMillan was a decent signing and should be doing a lot better.

Perry, Smith and Gibson should be nowhere near the starting XI. That really only leaves you McMillan, McNeil or McNiff as your centre back pairing and having to put someone else in their current positions.

It might have been a shout against Arbroath but we can't line up at home against Edinburgh with two defensive midfielders.

Amazingly Edinburgh have not scored against us in three attempts. In the recent away game Edinburgh barely threatened us the whole game.

I don't think bringing anyone in is an option. Unless we can get somebody on an emergency loan. Whatever budget was left was blown in January bringing players that we don't need - McKenzie, Finnie and Lochhead. McMillan was a decent signing and should be doing a lot better.

Perry, Smith and Gibson should be nowhere near the starting XI. That really only leaves you McMillan, McNeil or McNiff as your centre back pairing and having to put someone else in their current positions.

And we have managed 1 goal against them in 270 minutes

I personally believe its time that Clyde, Albion and Airdrie form to make a Lanarkshire super club.

Just think about it, they'd be better than the absolute cloggers Motherwell and Hamilton and would easily be a Premiership side.

I think you really want to support Clyde. You & the Lichtie girls are never off our threads. [emoji133]‍♂️

I cringe when reading our pre-pubescent fans exchange playground insults with Clyde's pre-pubescent fans. It's only a month ago that we were in a similar position and looking down the barrel.  
They don't embarrass our club, but they do deserve to embarrass themselves.

Are you talking about wee JakeySAFC? [emoji2]

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

I agree. These are must win games so putting 6 out with the main task of defending isn't going to work

A switch around of the back 4 and that 4 putting in a proper shift would be a start

The Clyde you know and remember did no such thing. Of those last ten games we lost 4. Some of the wins we got were against a relegated Stirling and two lower division sides. 

And of course, in Brown's first four games we laid down to Stirling, Dunfermline and Thistle (4-1), only taking a win at Morton with two last minute goals after probably the worst performance of the lot.

Using John Brown as evidence of a positive reaction is complete and utter desperation.