CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

The team's been improved in several areas.  The League Cup is just a series of competitive friendlies, useful for clubs to get their players match fit ahead of the league season but has probably devalued the competition itself.  July's far too early to treat it any other way.

As for league prospects, assuming the budget's spent, it'll likely come down to two things.

Smith is going to have to be "the man" in defence this year.  As well as trying to increase his own performance  levels, he'll have to be the one marshalling the back 4, get them playing as a tight unit. They've probably got the players to do it, but the manager maybe needs to re-think the role of the full backs.  He likes to push them forward but the number of goals we've lost from crosses due to the gaps down the flanks means the basics need to be prioritized.  We lose too many easy goals, having a disciplined back 4 will stop a lot of that.

Every team who wins a league at this level has a striker who is at least potentially good for 20 goals a season.  It's unreasonable to expect McDonald to play in every game, the manager will have to use him wisely over 8 months.  I don't see anyone else on the books right now likely to get that kind of figure.  So either he gets a loan deal, or they'll have to rely on a big contribution from the midfield playing in front of a much tighter defence.   I just hope that what looks like being a very creative midfield doesn't get demoralized if they're producing many chances which don't get taken. 

If those two areas are taken care of, I doubt the keeper will be much of an issue.   

I'd honestly like to see Watson start up front with peso. I don't really see what higgins brings attacking wise

Totally agree. Watson, as well as having pace, has a busyness about him. He's better at closing down, can get in behind defences as well as running channels.

I also think he is also a greater goal threat than Higgins and Gormley combined. Then again, who isn't.

I thought Higgins had a good game against Kilmarnock. He’s our striker most capable of bringing Easton and Flynn into the game. Last night absolutely nothing he tried worked but I still couldn’t understand taking him off at half time instead of MacDonald, who was shattered 5 minutes into the second half.

I would like to see Watson given more of a chance but you can tell Ferguson is worried about a lack of height up front. We probably need to wait until MacDonald is fit (which he clearly isn’t just now) before we know the best partnership

I take it you have to pay for children as its a cup game and rules set by SPFL ....makes it pricey when taking two kids along (one of which isn't too interested)

Admission prices have been set as follows:-

• Adult: £12
  • Concession: £6 (over-65s, under-16s and students with valid matriculation card)

I take it you have to pay for children as its a cup game and rules set by SPFL ....makes it pricey when taking two kids along (one of which isn't too interested)

• Concession: £6 (over-65s, under-16s and students with valid matriculation card)

Superb bit of pricing from Clyde and Berwick adult and two kids £24 for a meaningless game[emoji122]

Guest The Phoenix
10 hours ago, jagr68 said:

There is a minimum pricing policy set by the SPFL but if both Clubs agree it does not need to be adhered to. 

We are charging £5 for Adults and Concessions, £2 for Under 16s and Free for Under 12s accompanied by an Adult for next Tuesday evening's match  versus Elgin. 

Depending on the age of your kids, you could save £19.00 less additional petrol costs! 

That's a good deal to entice a higher attendance ....quite pricey attending matched with kids when wee one expects fed for 90 minutes lol ...
Already forked out £100 for generations jersey and four replicas on order still to pay for....