Offensive Behaviour at Football Act cave in.

Glenconner

Since no-one else has answered this, I will (apologies for the Ad lib-esque legnth).

The first and last paragraph shows that his main issue is really with parliamentary democracy:

That is literally the point of the opposition. "We won and they lost, they should sit down and shut the f*ck up," seems to be the underlying message.

He keeps going on about people who were rejected by the electorate wanting to repeal the act, while failing to acknowledge that the Tories, Labour, Lib Dems and Greens actually represent the majority of the Scottish voting public.

He brushes over all the criticism of the act in one sentence:

Poorly drafted, symbolic and difficult to enforce legislation is obviously not a problem for the Rev. And by 'obstructive hostility', he's referring to this:

Sheriff Maxwell Hendry said: “It is deeply flawed legislation. Sectarianism is a blight on Scottish football, a blight on Scottish life and there is an evil in football represented by sectarianism.

It seems this Act was designed to try and deal with this evil. I’m not satisfied the Crown have established that any crime has been committed and accordingly I uphold the submission of no case to answer. Do not think this means I approve in any way whatsoever with conduct which is in any way sectarian in nature.â€

Clearly a raging anti-SNP bigot...

There's also this bit:

Anyone who has ever been on trains before/after a major 6 nations game could easily give a whole list of things that could be regarded as offensive and criminal under this law, if the perpetrators were football fans and not rugby supporters.

If the roles were reversed, and this blog had been written by a prominent Labour blogger Wings would be tearing it to pieces. It's myopic incoherent gibberish.

Fair enough. I agree that there are people who have misinterpreted the election results. The SNP got less than 50% of the vote and, rightly so, have less than 50% of the seats. Some folk seem to be having trouble coming to terms with that.

I agree with the point in the article that the legislation still has overwhelming support and there are successful convictions under the act.

I'm less than impressed with the subjective views of a Sheriff who seems to think age is an excuse for blatant racism. I don't know if he's anti-SNP but he may be pro-bigot.

It does mention specific areas yes, but then it throws in that final clause which covers just about anything.

The 'final clause' is not so much 'what is wrong' but 'how we know it's wrong'.  The 'what is wrong' is limited to the areas I mentioned.  The 'how we know it's wrong' is the pernicious bit - ie 'a reasonable person would find it so' even if a 'reasonable person' was there or not.

So the gist of the Act is that, during football matches, an offense takes place when someone does something within a few defined areas which could be deemed to be offensive if it could have caused a public order issue as judged by a reasonable person.

I'm pretty sure I've got this right and I'm absolutely certain it's a fucking abortion.

I'm less than impressed with the subjective views of a Sheriff who seems to think age is an excuse for blatant racism. I don't know if he's anti-SNP but he may be pro-bigot.

You've literally just made this up.

At no point did Sheriff Maxwell Hendry:

1. Express subjective views on the Act

2. Say or do anything that communicated a view that "age is an excuse for racism"

Nil points to the geriatric again.

No, making it conditional on finding other ways of tackling sectarianism is.

😂 It's "really creepy" to suggest that it would be better to have an alternative strategy in place before repealing the law?

I am lost as to what exactly is creepy in this scenario?

😂 It's "really creepy" to suggest that it would be better to have an alternative strategy in place before repealing the law?

I am lost as to what exactly is creepy in this scenario?

Because you are saying that if we don't develop a new strategy the law should remain in place. You are saying that freedom of expression should only not be interfered with if public policy objectives are first met.

This puts the fundamental nature of human rights completely the wrong way round. Their existence are not contingent on displaying a public policy interest; justifying one single interference with them is contingent on displaying a public interest for that interference.

There is zero public interest in the criminalisation of hate speech.

Because you are saying that if we don't develop a new strategy the law should remain in place. You are saying that freedom of expression should only not be interfered with if public policy objectives are first met.

This puts the fundamental nature of human rights completely the wrong way round. Their existence are not contingent on displaying a public policy interest; justifying one single interference with them is contingent on displaying a public interest for that interference.

There is zero public interest in the criminalisation of hate speech.

I am not saying any of those things - you are attributing ideas to me that I haven't expressed.

I said that I think it would be better (in this instance) to have some alternative plans in place (not necessarily laws) in place to address Scottish footballs problems or that repealing this law will look like exactly what it is, a move to gain popular opinion instead of a serious attempt at fixing a bad law with a credible alternative approach.

I have never said it was necessary or essential to have an alternative, in order to repeal this law, or any law.

I am not saying any of those things - you are attributing ideas to me that I haven't expressed.

I said that I think it would be better (in this instance) to have some alternative plans in place (not necessarily laws) in place to address Scottish footballs problems or that repealing this law will look like exactly what it is, a move to gain popular opinion instead of a serious attempt at fixing a bad law with a credible alternative approach.

This isn't a move to gain popular opinion.  'Popular opinion' seems to support the act.

What owners of private premises decide people should be allowed to do on their property is their business,

Within the confines of the law.  You cannot seriously be suggesting that things like cock-fighting, smoking, drug dealing, prostitution etc. is OK as long as it is not performed in a public venue.

The 'final clause' is not so much 'what is wrong' but 'how we know it's wrong'.  The 'what is wrong' is limited to the areas I mentioned.  The 'how we know it's wrong' is the pernicious bit - ie 'a reasonable person would find it so' even if a 'reasonable person' was there or not.

So the gist of the Act is that, during football matches, an offense takes place when someone does something within a few defined areas which could be deemed to be offensive if it could have caused a public order issue as judged by a reasonable person.

I'm pretty sure I've got this right and I'm absolutely certain it's a fucking abortion.

That's not how it's been explained to me by other law folk, but If that's the case then fair enough.

This isn't a move to gain popular opinion. 'Popular opinion' seems to support the act.

I'm not sure it does. I think there is quite a lot of opposition to the act or at least enough for them to think action is desirable.

I also think that's it's something they believe they can come in and change fairly quickly, showing that they are being dynamic and making a difference immediately.

You've literally just made this up.At no point did Sheriff Maxwell Hendry:1. Express subjective views on the Act2. Say or do anything that communicated a view that "age is an excuse for racism"Nil points to the geriatric again.

Yeah he excused a taxi driver in Dundee for making racist comments based on his age. This is a guy widely known for using overtly racist language.

Because the law should protect people from actual or threat of harm not hurt feelings and the extremely low and completely subjective barometer of "being offended".

Should comedians be banned from making jokes in bad taste? Should the law intervene for people farting on trains? How about revealing clothing?

Offensive behaviour should be regulated through informal societal sanctions- such as criticism, ridicule or avoidance not formal police measures.

To criminalise people because you don't like what they say is an affront to any democracy. Liberal authoritarianism in action it is just Intolerance of anyone perceived to be not adhering to the liberal, middle class dominant mindset.

The point is though if you are going to legislate for it then singling out one section of society only seems a ludicrous way to go about it.

Sectarian and obscene behaviour happens outwith football matches - it's about time that some people realised that.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh