Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

When I played for Wishaw Wycombe we were absolutely pish. The team had won the league cup a couple of years before I joined so all the decent players got picked up by pro youth teams. They were then looking for players so I ended up joining.

The strange thing was that the team I played in was full of decent players but as a team we were hopeless. I'm sure we only won once in about 2 years. In that game we played a team from Shotts in a friendly but we only had 10 players. One of their subs played for us that day and scored a hat trick which won us the game.

Did we not turn down an Aussie bid about the same time last year? Also - how does the Australian season line up with Europe - would a (Scottish) summer move for McDonald line up with their season?

roughly the same time, from the same club 2 weeks after he'd signed his new deal. the odd part was that they weren't prepared to pay a fee. they just wanted to sign him for nothing.

i've no doubt McDonald is into to move but ultimately he's out of contract at the end of the season and is 33 so he has no real value to the club beyond what he can do on the pitch, which is a lot. I'd be surprised if the Australian club would be willing to chuck a stupid amount of money, enough to incentivise Motherwell to sell for a player who realistically will be available for free in 6 months.

in that respect given we don't actually have to sell I'd hope we'd tell them to GTF.

On 22/01/2017 at 11:47, Casagolda said:

Forgot to say yesterday that apparently we have Kieron Cadogan on trial as well this/last week.

^^^

ITK 

It appears though that he's naturally right sided, to be honest I was really hoping to get some natural width on the left. We already have two excellent options on the right, yet we're currently stuck shoehorning either Joe Chalmers or Craig Clay onto the left wing.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

According to Flow on Twitter we may see a couple of new signings today. Très excité.

Joe Chalmers contract extension, IMO.  

#ITK #SuperJoe 

17 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Kieran Cadogan, aye.

He was on trial with Dundee when we first come up. He looked decent enough in the friendlies but we'd already signed up Roberts (who was a lot more technically gifted and had potential but was a walloper) and Boyle so it didn't make sense since.

In retrospect, it may have been better going for him.

According to McGhee's press conference we're "closing in" on 2 signings. Looking at Cadogan but he's not one of the 2.

Edit: from the same press conference it seems we're looking at 2 with a view to bringing another 2 in before the window closes.

Keeper in for Brill? Defender for Laing? Left back and left mid?

Edited by capt_oats

McGhee's press conference also suggests Laing might go as well. He also addresses the McDonald/Australia chat as well; he's still here and looks like he'll start on Saturday.

The gist seems to be they had been aiming to bring in 3 or 4 this window but haven't been successful with any as yet. It's clear thar Frear would be one. From the sounds of it Cadogan isn't really one of those options, he's just someone we're taking a look at and in fairness with Cadden looking knackered, MacLean having dislocated his shoulder and McGhee's blatant distrust of Ainsworth a short term cover option for the right side of the forward line might not be the worst shout.

The whole thing's been written up in the Evening Times below.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/15049894.Mark_McGhee__Motherwell_hoping_to_complete_two_new_signings_today/

Is cover at centre back really an issue? McManus and Heneghan haven't missed a game this season and seem to be nailed on first choice. Ferguson has done well enough when called upon and even though they might not be in McGhee's plans, Kennedy and Laing are both still here and more than adequate back up if they're hanging around.

If it is Franks he's 26 and played 20 plus times for Stevenage this season including on Saturday there. So I can't see him coming here just to sit on the bench, especially as we'd probably have to pay a fee for him.

Is cover at centre back really an issue? McManus and Heneghan haven't missed a game this season and seem to be nailed on first choice. Ferguson has done well enough when called upon and even though they might not be in McGhee's plans, Kennedy and Laing are both still here and more than adequate back up if they're hanging around.
If it is Franks he's 26 and played 20 plus times for Stevenage this season including on Saturday there. So I can't see him coming here just to sit on the bench, especially as we'd probably have to pay a fee for him.

Maybe that's part of the issue? Mcmanus and Heneghan can f**k up like they did on Saturday but are guaranteed to start every week. Maybe a bit more competition in that area is something that Mcghee feels is needed.