Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Al B said:

We've just won the first game of the season 5-1 away from home with 3 of the best goals i've seen us score in a long time, and there are people on there who are genuinely angry and were booing. Steelmen Online will never make sense.

not only that, they thought that the team deserved to be booed and the booing may have helped wake the team up because they were better in the 2nd half. There are no words for that sort of logic.

First half was tragic though. It was always gonna end up the way it did though.

I was thinking back to our opening BetFred match last season. We came flying out and could have been two or three up on Rangers.
We ended up losing 2-0.
There are people who I don't understand why they go to football as they get no enjoyment from it.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

not only that, they thought that the team deserved to be booed and the booing may have helped wake the team up because they were better in the 2nd half. There are no words for that sort of logic.

While I didn't join in with or agree with the booing at half time yesterday as I don't think it was merited given the timing and context of the match, if paying supporters aren't happy with what they've seen they are entitled to let the players know their feelings.

There are some Motherwell fans who will boo and criticise for very little, sometimes when it is uncalled for. By the same token we have our fair share of eternal optimists, or Happy Clappies if you prefer, who won't hear a bad word said about the team or the club no matter what and seem to revel in picking arguments with anyone who doesn't share their rose tinted views. 

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Let's be honest here.  There were one or two who believed the booing was justified and given their past posts on forums it comes as no real surprise. There are still a lot of sensible posters. I would not say it is any worse than any other club fans forum, nor this place for that matter.

As for Blyth. Hope that is the end of him at our club. But knowing our employment laws we will probably have to suspend him pending investigation which will take a while and cost a lot.  The photos are quite damning, so hopefully he holds his hands up and moves on....

Edited by welldaft

4 hours ago, Sheep62 said:

Ach well pre contract come Jan 1st it is then;)

You can but dream....

Quite sure if he is a free agent their will be other clubs down south who will be ahead of Aberdeen in the Q

Still expect him to be offski and if it is not before the Opening league game v Rangers then a decent performance and goal or 2 v them on Sky should seal a deal somwhere 

I think they're onto something there tbh. We should start booing when the team come out at the beginning of the match to make sure they perform for a full 90 minutes IMO.

10 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Blyth is probably my least favourite player of all time.

If I saw the c**t on a night out I'd genuinely take him a square go. His daft face and wee Geordie Shore burd genuinely enrage me.

He's a big boy

As much as I'd love for us to able to punt Blyth on account of the fact he's completely useless at the whole playing football thing, is what he was up to not technically a 'legal high'?

From a legal point of view, I'm not sure how easy it would be to tear up his contract on the back of this. I mean as the Capt mentioned above, we did sign Bob Malcolm after he was caught drink driving and stuck by Paul Quinn when he caved some guys face in and was found guiltily of assault, so it's not as if we as club can point to a zero tolerance policy. Likewise, I doubt too many of our fans who are demanding his contract be torn up would be saying the same if it'd been Moult or Cadden for example caught up in this(obviously neither are stupid enough but you get the point). 

Of course, given his burd was dishing out the ching and with oor Jacob clearly not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, if he's partaken in other substances that were being handed around then the club will have him by the baws and can indeed fire him into the sun. Seems little evidence to that effect though and if he has indeed avoided such substances then that is to his credit, he's at least not as totally fucking stupid as he looks. 

Edited by Casagolda

18 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

As much as I'd love for us to able to punt Blyth on account of the fact he's completely useless at the whole playing football thing, is what he was up to not technically a 'legal high'?

From a legal point of view, I'm not sure how easy it would be to tear up his contract on the back of this. I mean as the Capt mentioned above, we did sign Bob Malcolm after he was caught drink driving and stuck by Paul Quinn when he caved some guys face in and was found guiltily of assault, so it's not as if we as club can point to a zero tolerance policy. Likewise, I doubt too many of our fans who are demanding his contract be torn up would be saying the same if it'd been Moult or Cadden for example caught up in this(obviously neither are stupid enough but you get the point). 

Of course, given his burd was dishing out the ching and with oor Jacob clearly not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, if he's partaken in other substances that were being handed around then the club will have him by the baws and can indeed fire him into the sun. Seems little evidence to that effect though and if he has indeed avoided such substances then that is to his credit, he's at least not as totally fucking stupid as he looks. 

Pretty much. There's a lot of handwringing going on based on the fact that he's absolutely dugmeat as a footballer and if currently of no use to us as he's injured. However the fact that Robinson's looking to move players on means that we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

There's not a chance his agent would let the club tear up his contract however I do wonder whether the fact that his deal runs out at the end of the season and let's face it, he'll be gone in January on a mutual termination, whether that might give the club a bit of leverage to just settle his contract for a significantly reduced amount vs what he'd be due if we were to pay it off in normal circumstances. Essentially we make an offer of "we'll pay you your 6 months wages and we'll just drop the matter, off you pop".

I'll be honest, there's a fair chance that he'd make more money out of a reality TV gig than he would playing football. I just saw his bird has 1.7m followers on Twitter. He seems the sort of character that would fit right in with that line of work.

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

First half was tragic though. It was always gonna end up the way it did though.

I am unsure of this 3 at the back stuff

I've a feeling that the back 3 is a personnel thing rather than a preference of system. In 3 of the 4 pre-season games we started with a flat back 4 (and won 2), the games against Stirling and Livi we had a more balanced pairing with one experienced defender and one who is a bit more raw (McManus & Kipré 1st half vs Stirling, Dembele & Heneghan 2nd half). Although Heneghan played 43 games last season he's still prone to errors, as we saw yesterday. Also, in those games it was a pair of centre backs playing on their natural sides, left footer on the left side of the pair and right on the right we tried Heneghan and Kipré as a pair against Barrow who are both right footers, who knows, perhaps Robinson wasn't convinced by it? He switched Heneghan for McManus at HT in that game but that may just have been a fitness thing.

McManus seems to be one of those further behind fitness-wise on account of his time out injured and Dembele obviously didn't take up our offer so at the risk of reading too much into things it'd seem Robinson wants an experienced player at the centre of the defence one way or another. In the back 3 that's obviously Hammell, he's also someone who's a lot more composed bringing the ball out from the back than either McManus or Heneghan. The only real issue with the back 3 for me is the defensive side of the game (which is obviously the key point).

One upshot of the 3 at the back yesterday was that it allowed us to play Cadden centrally which is the area of the park he got his goal from and arguably is where he could be most effective long term.

On 15/07/2017 at 00:32, capt_oats said:

Aye, it's utterly bizarre.

It's not "utterly bizarre" if you equate actual minutes on the park with getting a chance.

Already in his Kilmarnock career he has almost 50% of the minutes on the field that we gave him all last season.

And no, I don't think we've released a new Messi or even that Dom Thomas would definitely succeeded but a player of that potential deserved more of a chance in the first team.  Not a substitute appearance every two or three months which is just bullshit if you are trying to develop young players.

The comparison with Cadden was fatuous since Chris Cadden hadn't done anything to get noticed in his handful of sub appearances before McGhee gave him 13 starts in a row, virtually out of nowhere.

Funnily enough the only success we've had as a club in three seasons was when two young players were brought in and given a chance.  Perhaps you can add up the amount of money we've thrown at complete non-entities over that period?  From 1 good game Lee Lucas to no good games Craig Clay and no games at all Jacob Blyth.

Oh and since you mentioned them Jake Hastie is 20 on his next birthday and has 53 minutes first team experience while Ross MacLean is 21 and he has just over 300 minutes.

And that's just as equally as wrong with the whole philosophy of the club at the moment as the situation regarding Dom Thomas.

It's not "utterly bizarre" if you equate actual minutes on the park with getting a chance.
Already in his Kilmarnock career he has almost 50% of the minutes on the field that we gave him all last season.
And no, I don't think we've released a new Messi or even that Dom

He was 100% as ineffective though.

5 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The comparison with Cadden was fatuous since Chris Cadden hadn't done anything to get noticed in his handful of sub appearances before McGhee gave him 13 starts in a row, virtually out of nowhere. 

giphy.gif

Its almost like Motherwell managers see things day to day that we don't. 

Also speaking of minutes on the pitch, it took Craig Tanner just 53 mins of his first appearance for the club yesterday to better Dom Thomas goal tally in a Motherwell strip.

That's roughly about the same number of minutes it took for Dom to be hauled off during his start against East Stirling this time last year for being pocketed by a non league right back who'd probably just come off working a half shift.  

Edited by Casagolda