Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I just looked at the official statement, that's pretty cold but judging by the reactions on here there isn't too much love lost for this guy.  Didn't know much about him because he only made a handful of appearances but according to the BBC article he got up to no good on his holidays this year which may have played a part

Had to happen after his 'antics' and when you combine that with the fact that he was garbage then emptying him was the only sensible option open to the club.

Good to see a short, succinct statement to confirm it too, we're getting there. :)

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-4/

Sparra, Busta & Jay congregate to discuss the narrow 2-1 defeat to Rangers on Sunday, the upcoming matches in Dingwall and Perth, the progress of our new signings, the recent unveiling of the club’s new mascots, and more.

Huge result for us tonight. A very tough and challenging 120 minutes and EXACTLY the type of game that we would normally lose, we certainly would have last year so all credit to Steve Robinson and the players for getting through that. Hopefully this will be a springboard to a good season and a good Cup run at long last. Aberdeen at home will be a tall order but we're at home and quite simply we need to believe we can beat them and be right up for it. 

Give me a Cup run over European qualification ANY day of the week. 

Well done Motherwell. :)

Aberdeen quarter-final confirmed as the Thursday night. Live on BT Sport. That'll be twice in three days we play the Dons on the telly.

If we were only to win one of them, which would you prefer?

Yeah, it was a serious question.

To be fair, I'd assume 99% would go cup win. However, MJC might bring up that winning the League Cup doesn't actually get you anything and we need the three points to delay the inevitable relegation for another week.

11 minutes ago, Desp said:

To be fair, I'd assume 99% would go cup win. However, MJC might bring up that winning the League Cup doesn't actually get you anything and we need the three points to delay the inevitable relegation for another week.

I'll take a win in the cup and a draw in the league please.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Nope, if you'd read the Ross County game thread you'd have seen that I would take a win in the Cup game even if it meant we lost the league game. :)

Curiously, we have had a bit of a habit in the past of playing Aberdeen at home in a Cup match either just before or a week or so before playing them again in the league and each time we have lost the Cup game then beat them in the league. It happened in 1996 when we lost 0-2 in the Cup then beat them 1-0 in the league two weeks later; then in March 2012 we lost 1-2 in the Scottish Cup on the Sunday then beat them 1-0 in the league the following Saturday (Hammell wonder goal). Finally in December of 2012 we lost 1-2 again in the Scottish Cup then two weeks later thumped them 4-1 in the league. This time, I'd prefer us to reverse the trend and win the Cup match, but a win in both would be grand.

Off the back of the point about how "we wouldn't have won that game last season" re: the League Cup game last night I just had a quick check, obviously not directly related but semi-interesting all the same.

At this point last season ie: 4 Betfred Cup group games, 1 league game and 1 knock out game our goals had come from 5 players:

Johnson 4
Moult 2
McDonald 2
Cadden 2
Ainsworth 1
Total: 11

This season as of now we've seen 10 different scorers:

Cadden 4
Bowman 2
Moult 2
Frear 2
Heneghan 1
Tanner 1
Dunne 1
Tait 1
Bigirimana 1
MacLean 1
Total: 16

You should probably factor in that the knock out round game last season was against Celtic whereas (with all due respect) this season we were drawn against County but still...

5 minutes ago, Desp said:

Looks like we can put the Moult to Aberdeen rumour to bed.

They've signed Stevie May on a four year deal.

Who knows, maybe that new deal will get signed after all. I'd have thought a wage bump on an extension would be better than nothing.

Also, if Marvin moves on from Oxford then that's the equivalent of a sale in terms of income for this window anyway.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Who knows, maybe that new deal will get signed after all. I'd have thought a wage bump on an extension would be better than nothing.

I thought it was a cast iron certainty that Moult would be gone in this window - even if it wasn't to the level many of us would like to see him at. Given his injury probs and curtailed pre-season, he has missed the chance to hit the ground running like Marvin did last year and there is a distinct lack of current hype about him after the stuff in early pre-season. I'm not ruling out some league 1 team coming in on deadline day but I'm beginning to think he might be here until January now. 

That sounds like great news but the problem is that *Moult* thought it was a cast iron certainty that he'd move this summer and as a result, he looks to me like his head has gone a bit, for now. He actually looks like someone who needs to be calmed down a bit as he is getting into as good positions as ever but is trying too hard with the finish. 

PS - if he did sign the extension, would he use some of the signing on fee to bribe someone at the club to take down that "stepping stone" interview? :)

To be honest I still expect him to move, as I said over on the Aberdeen thread our market for outgoings has always been cross-border and abroad. I think McDonald was pretty much the last key player we sold to another Scottish club so that's pretty much a decade ago. Selling to Aberdeen would just have been an awful (and improbable) shout for a whole multitude of reasons and it's fair to say that the movement in the English leagues is only really just starting in earnest now.

I think if some League 1 or lower end Championship mob come along in the next couple of weeks then we'd probably be much more more flexible as there wouldn't be the same issues with selling to a club in the same league and it fits in more with our recruitment "sales pitch". That pathway is pretty much what we're offering when players pitch up at the club.

However unless there's been discussion going on "behind the scenes" that hasn't made it to the media it's difficult to see where that interest is going to come from at the moment. I also can't help but revisit Robinson's comment after McHugh signed his deal where he teased: “We continue to discuss extended terms with other players in the squad and hopefully we’ll have some good news there too.” though again, that could easily just be a face value comment from Robinson, he seems much less coded than McGhee in terms of what he says to the press. For all there hasn't been much hype around Moult, we haven't really been talking him up in the same way we did Johnson either. Or at least it hasn't seemed to be as overt.

Either way according to Robinson he still wants a striker and a defender. Blyth's already been emptied so looking at the squad you'd think (by process of elimination) that leaves Bowman to move to allow for another forward. Similarly I wonder if a move for Johnson will impact on what we can do in that respect or if we'll just use the sell on for infrastructure or loan repayments to Boyle & Hutchison.