Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Carson loses appeal. 
Dunne appeal won against St. Johnstone but did not win his appeal for dismissal against Motherwell. 

Take it you work for the BBC...

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Interesting that Dunne's 2nd red has been completely rescinded rather than just being bumped down to a yellow as it suggests that they're of the view that there was no foul. I'd have thought that'd raise definite questions about Cummins and simulation.

It wasn't a foul but it was terrible defending.

I think people have overlooked how easy it was for Cummins to go straight through the middle of our defence or how any decent striker would have banged it away without the ridiculous dive.

As I've said consistently since last Saturday, we need to look very hard at what we are doing wrong, and there is plenty, and not get distracted by refereeing performances.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It wasn't a foul but it was terrible defending.

I think people have overlooked how easy it was for Cummins to go straight through the middle of our defence or how any decent striker would have banged it away without the ridiculous dive.

As I've said consistently since last Saturday, we need to look very hard at what we are doing wrong, and there is plenty, and not get distracted by refereeing performances.

We were down to 9 men.

17 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

We were down to 9 men.

And what's that got to do with a striker going between a massive hole between two centre backs?  We were not over run by numbers in that instance, we were beaten by a simple ball straight through the middle of the defence.  The reason we lost that goal was because Ben Heneghan stepped up into a forward position and left a huge gap between the two other centre halves.  Then Dunne goes across the back of the forward, even if there is little or no contact strikers usually go down in that situation, and referees usually give the penalty and that's what duly happened.  We need to cut out these amateur mistakes that we make 5, 6, 7 times every match.  Every school boy should know you defend in a line but Ben Heneghan doesn't.  Nothing to do with being down to 9 men. 

The point is we can't defend generally and that is simply an example of which there have been many this season, some of them were against lower quality opponents who didn't punish us for them but the signs have been there since that start of the season at Queens Park.   

We will be fine this season, I firmly believe that in my mind anyway.  5 of the next 6 games coming up for us are at Fir Park so now is the perfect time to put a run of results together, once we get the likes of Moult firing goals in again that will give the whole squad a lift.  We've badly missed Elliot Frear in the last couple games since he went off against Rangers, we've had no outball on the left since he's been out.  

Tbf I do somewhat agree with that, there is so much focus on the physical side, especially with younger players (particularly being told that they're not tall enough or big enough) that when they get older they have the touch and skill of Kirk Broadfoot.

Whilst I agree with this, our youngsters are also notoriously unfit in comparison to European nations. Seems typically Scottish that we sacrifice technique for stamina, only to find out our built up stamina levels are shite.

11 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Tbf I do somewhat agree with that, there is so much focus on the physical side, especially with younger players (particularly being told that they're not tall enough or big enough) that when they get older they have the touch and skill of Kirk Broadfoot.

I'm kind of the same, really. Is it not at Ajax they do fitness drill and the like while still having the ball?

I dunno, like. If you're going to be running, run with a ball, you'll get better at both, nah?

To the surprise of no one that's Moult said he's not going to take up the new deal on offer.

I take it that's come from the pre-match press conference this morning.

Going public with that a fortnight before the window shuts suggests this is us officially looking to punt him (which was always the case anyway).

Not surprised about Moult obviously - my concern has always been that he leaves very late in this window giving us no chance to replace him properly a' la Marvin Johnson - and that is at least a possibility...

1 minute ago, Swello said:

Not surprised about Moult obviously - my concern has always been that he leaves very late in this window giving us no chance to replace him properly a' la Marvin Johnson - and that is at least a possibility...

Thing with Johnson was that it developed really late. Did his "transfer request" not go in about two days before the window shut and Oxford's revised offer happen on the morning of the deadline?

There's still a fortnight or so of the window to go just now so I'd imagine things are in a slightly better position as far as timelines go. I think everyone knows where they stand so it looks like we've learned from that experience to an extent. What is a concern I'd is whether or not there's actually anyone genuinely interested. He just doesn't really seem to be a player that teams at Championship/League 1 level in England have much interest in.

I know there may be offers going in that are never made public but the fact that thus far the only confirmed offer came from Aberdeen, who it'd seem clear we had no intention of selling to, is a concern. I'd say that going public with this now would at least suggest that we'll be a bit more flexible on the valuation. In all honesty, I'd feel a bit more comfortable about the whole thing if there was genuine interest from teams who we'd be likely to sell to but it's difficult not to feel that Moult's going to end up a bit disappointed, unless he picks up his performances.

He also mentions Heneghan leaving at the end of the season as well, though that seems to be much less newsworthy.