Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I wonder if Hammell might do a Lasley/McMannus and move to a coaching role. I can't see him getting a game anymore anyway.

He's already involved with coaching the u-15s (going by his interview in the MFC Podcast 2 book) and is about to do his Pro Licence (according to his Twitter bio) so I'd imagine there's a fair chance of that being the general plan though the question's obviously there whether he'll just see out his current deal before that happens. I thought he looked very comfortable on the left side of the back three before he inevitably picked up his injury, the problem for me was always that we seemed to be far to reliant on him and him being fit. Him being involved as a squad player seems to make much more sense and in his own words he already spends a lot of time involved with the Academy.

IIRC part of the whole "Project Brave" criteria was that there had to be a certain number of full time coaching staff within the Academy set up, I'm not sure if that number has been modified or not but going back to the press release about McManus retiring it was interesting that PB was directly referenced:
"McManus played once during the Betfred Cup campaign this year, but has decided to call a halt to his playing career to take up a role within the Academy as the club prepares for the new era under the Project Brave initiative."

Given how vocal Burrows was about the whole thing last year and the "threat" if the club wasn't part of it, that comment seems significant. I'd imagine we'd be hoping/expecting Hammell to be one of the coaches involved.

In other news; it seems Oxford are holding out for £3m for Johnson, apparently they've kb'd £2m from Middlesboro already...which is nice for us as there's surely no chance they're not selling him if his maniac agent has anything to do with it, a Championship club are interested and they're being offered that kind of cash.

Age caught up with Lasley and injury caught up with McManus - I would imagine that Hammell will think he still has a playing contribution to make as he's not that old and he's not completely crocked like McManus, even if he's way more injury prone than he was. If he's fit - I'd be quite happy to see him in team - against Aberdeen in the LC QF for example...

On the Marvin Johnson thing - picking him up from the conference is fast looking like one of the best pieces of transfer business we've ever done (especially as he isn't exactly a world beater)

Aye, Hammell being injury prone but around the squad just seems much less of an issue when the alternatives aren't Joe Chalmers and Zak Jules. He's definitely still got a contribution to make IMO but him not being the only competent player in that area of the park gives us a bit of depth and means we're not just rushing him back out onto the park as soon as he's even vaguely fit. Presumably it'll make things a bit more pleasant for him as well as it means he can make sure he's back to being fully fit before he's being considered. 

Another point on the academy, I just remembered that the club are currently advertising a (full time) Head of Academy Sports Science position. It definitely feels like we're sorting out more infrastructure in that area just now and meeting criteria.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Blackburn have apparently made an offer for Heneghan, which we're seemingly going to reject.

According to Andy Devlin anyway.

Wild number of rumours about Heneghan today. So far he's been linked with Sunderland, QPR, Birmingham, Bristol City and Norwich. Now it seems there's been an actual off from Blackburn. If we're able to get a reasonable wedge for him with a decent sell on then with the % from Johnson's inevitable move from Oxford it'd see us quids in and another win for "the strategy".

Edited by capt_oats

*If* we cash in on Heneghan, it would begin to prove that the strategy is actually a viable thing - but it would also be quite impressive/important if we'd turned a profit on a player who was poor for much of last season (with some justification given the mess our team was and his inexperience). 

My only minor quibble would be that if we are only going to have these type of players for a year before we sell them, what does it do to the turnover of the squad? I guess the upside of a high turnover is that (a) presumably it would be quite profitable and (b) you could attract better players if you have a track record of shifting players to a "better" club quickly.

PS - totally unrelated - but does anyone know why there are no fixtures on the 11th November? Can't see a scotland game scheduled and the league cup final (which we'll definitely be in) is on the 26th

I've no idea if this is the case or not but I get the impression that we had kind of decided early on that Heneghan was going to be the "asset" to move on this summer. Both McHugh and Moult were very publicly offered new deals, Heneghan (as far as I can tell) wasn't. I know the narrative seems to be that Heneghan has "refused" to sign a new deal but was he ever actually offered one?

Robinson's quote re: Heneghan was "Ben will probably look elsewhere at the end of the season too." It suggests to me that there's maybe been a cursory discussion as to his thoughts going forward but no more than that. I seem to recall Robinson basically saying that given finances we were really only in a position to offer a couple of new contracts at a time. McHugh accepted his, Moult's presumably still sits on the table until he signs for someone else. I took from that we'd prioritised Moult and McHugh, which is understandable as Heneghan's for has, being kind, been patchy to say the least.

It's quite annoying that it looks like he'll be moving just as we seem to have found a position for him though. Still £s for a guy we got for nothing and don't owe any sell on % is good work. It'll help pay off Boyle and Hutchison too, I'd imagine the money in should Johnson move will go some way to doing the same.

As far as the turnover of the squad goes I think it depends on how we approach things. If we're only looking to move on one "asset" in each window and we're organised about it in identifying who it is then it probably doesn't make too much difference. In fact it's probably a large factor in why we were able to tell Aberdeen to do one when they asked about Moult. It'd only really be if we put up a massive neon sign saying "FOR SALE" and started accepting bids for everyone that it'd start to be a problem IMO.

47 minutes ago, Swello said:

PS - totally unrelated - but does anyone know why there are no fixtures on the 11th November? Can't see a scotland game scheduled and the league cup final (which we'll definitely be in) is on the 26th

I think that's when the World Cup playoffs are, somewhat optimistically in our case, penciled in for.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Marv on his way to Middlesbrough today for 2.5m, with our substantial sell on clause that should take the overall value of his transfer to in excess of a million pound. 

Not bad for a boy we plucked from the Conference for about 30k just 2 and a half years ago.

Link

If we sell a player (heneghan) for, say, 250k- I guess the club would be looking at almost £1m in un-budgeted income before tax, etc this summer (Marvin sell-on, Celtic CL money, mythical Heneghan money, League Cup QF) - which for a fan-owned club would be a pretty good position to be in...

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

If we sell a player (heneghan) for, say, 250k- I guess the club would be looking at almost £1m in un-budgeted income before tax, etc this summer (Marvin sell-on, Celtic CL money, mythical Heneghan money, League Cup QF) - which for a fan-owned club would be a pretty good position to be in...

Factor in that last summer we took in the best part of £1m in transfer fees alone (£650k for Johnson, £230k for Hall, £100k for Pearson = £980k) and it's not too shabby at all.

If you believe the Record's TRANSFER LIVE (I know) the derisory offer we kb'd from Blackburn was £250k.

Edited by capt_oats

45 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

I reckon we'll see another two in before the window shuts, especially if Heneghan leaves. Replacement centre back plus a n other...probably McGinn though given precious chat.

Either that or the customary short term returning player deal - what's Higgy up to these days?

While I think this has worked in the past - I would hope that we've moved away from it for now - especially as the vast majority of players that have left over the past few years you wouldn't want anywhere near a motherwell jersey ever again....

The club, for good or bad, has their strategy and it needs to be allowed to play out. If we do sell a player this window and get an add-on from last summer's window - that is evidence of it working as planned I guess.

We're on the Sky Sports News BREAKING NEWS ticker lads. Apparently Motherwell have rejected a £250k bid from Blackburn for defender Ben Heneghan.

The clubs remain in discussions according to their Twitter though...what a time to be alive.

Edited by capt_oats

Wonder how much we're holding out for here? Personally I would have thought around £250k and a decent sell on % and we'd have sold.

I've actually got mixed feelings about this. For large parts of his Motherwell career I've actually thought he wasn't that great and when the chat of Rangers' interest came in I thought we were laughing. Since then though I've been really impressed with him. I think he's started the season really well along with the machine at the back, Kipre. 

I'm assuming we've been lining up replacements as well if this goes through.