Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Lovely job. You’d hope that they’d just f**k off and sign Scott Bain now tbh.

+1

With the 40% sell on clause, we're needing £750k to make this deal anywhere near justifiable.  If Carson continues the way he has been playing, he'll have a choice of clubs in the summer.   Sidenote, I hear that Gordon is finished at Celtic. He was earmarked for replacement already, this injury was just masterful bad timing.  

1 minute ago, nsr said:

I particularly liked the 2pm deadline. Shame we didn't fanny around until 2pm just to get their hopes up.

I loved that. They obviously have a diddy club transfer negotiations playbook - getting a rejection before you've finished your breakfast probably isn't part of the plan.

Wouldn't put it past them to offer 500k at 10pm mind you....

I've not read anything about that - but I'm not that surprised that Charles Dunne has been noticed TBH. It's become a classic 'Well fans received wisdom that because his distribution is v poor, that he's pish full stop. Since the Semi against Rangers - where he was outstanding BTW - he's been playing consistently well as a defender. If you have pace and can defend well, clubs at a similar level to us wouldn't necessarily be put off by his lack of passing ability - they like us would know that if he had a Stevie Hammell like first touch, Bigi's passing ability as well as his other attributes, he'd be playing at a higher level.

Not saying he's the best player I've ever seen, far from it - but he's a far better player now than he was in July& August.

I loved that. They obviously have a diddy club transfer negotiations playbook - getting a rejection before you've finished your breakfast probably isn't part of the plan.
Wouldn't put it past them to offer 500k at 10pm mind you....

According to Scott Mullen the offer was binned almost as soon as it was received.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The bold Chris McLaughlin saying that’s Celtic “looking at other options”.

Good. At £375k we would see £200k of that. With Hartlepool due the balance give or take a few £s with a 40% sell on clause. 

Carson has 2 years left on his contract. He is worth more than £200k for that and probably why we have been rightly holding out for more. 

Not bitter or anything but I hope they sign someone who ships a lot of goals in the Europa Cup....

15 minutes ago, welldaft said:
Good. At £375k we would see £200k of that. With Hartlepool due the balance give or take a few £s with a 40% sell on clause.

We wouldn’t even see that 200k as Boyle & Hutchison are due %s to pay off what’s owed to them. So you’d be looking at a net of maybe 80k for Robinson to play with.

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

We wouldn’t even see that 200k as Boyle & Hutchison are due %s to pay off what’s owed to them. So you’d be looking at a net of maybe 80k for Robinson to play with.

Moot point again.  I'm not accusing you of this, but I do get amazed at people regarding debt reduction as a bad thing.  WS fund raising has not been encouraging, even with the double money deal from Les.  We need these fees to reduce the debt.  Once the debt has gone, we're needing money to improve the stadium. IMO, the main stand is not fit for purpose.  

How much was raised from the share issue? 

26 minutes ago, Swello said:

I've not read anything about that - but I'm not that surprised that Charles Dunne has been noticed TBH. It's become a classic 'Well fans received wisdom that because his distribution is v poor, that he's pish full stop. Since the Semi against Rangers - where he was outstanding BTW - he's been playing consistently well as a defender. If you have pace and can defend well, clubs at a similar level to us wouldn't necessarily be put off by his lack of passing ability - they like us would know that if he had a Stevie Hammell like first touch, Bigi's passing ability as well as his other attributes, he'd be playing at a higher level.

Not saying he's the best player I've ever seen, far from it - but he's a far better player now than he was in July& August.

I would definitely agree with that.  When I've been at games, I've mentioned a few times that Charles Dunne is a good defender, but he's not a good footballer.  Playing in a back three suits him, and he actually performed really well against Accies when moved to the middle of the three (when you take away even more of the need for him to pass the ball).

I can't see him ever becoming a fan favourite at Motherwell, but he's certainly eligible, IMO, for a gold star in thisGRAEME's "Could Do A Job" book of delights.

7 minutes ago, WellView said:

Moot point again.  I'm not accusing you of this, but I do get amazed at people regarding debt reduction as a bad thing.  WS fund raising has not been encouraging, even with the double money deal from Les.  We need these fees to reduce the debt.  Once the debt has gone, we're needing money to improve the stadium. IMO, the main stand is not fit for purpose.  

How much was raised from the share issue? 

Debt reduction is really important and it will be a huge milestone for us to get Boyle and Hutchinson paid off - but by paying off too quickly and denuding the manager of funds for the team (or depriving him of key players at a critical point in the season), we are running a risk given that we already pay amongst the lowest average wages in the league. The vast majority of businesses operate with some debt and we are in a fortunate position that ours is in the form of soft loans that presumably don't cost us much to maintain.

Assuming that an automatic percentage of net transfer income goes to pay off Boyle & Hutchinson, I would have thought that given our business this year, we are probably further down the road of paying them off than we expected to be. Given I'm now a share holder, I might even find out the real figures at some point :)

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

Debt reduction is really important and it will be a huge milestone for us to get Boyle and Hutchinson paid off - but by paying off too quickly and denuding the manager of funds for the team (or depriving him of key players at a critical point in the season), we are running a risk given that we already pay amongst the lowest average wages in the league. The vast majority of businesses operate with some debt and we are in a fortunate position that ours is in the form of soft loans that presumably don't cost us much to maintain.

Assuming that an automatic percentage of net transfer income goes to pay off Boyle & Hutchinson, I would have thought that given our business this year, we are probably further down the road of paying them off than we expected to be. Given I'm now a share holder, I might even find out the real figures at some point :)

Pretty much this.

We'll more than likely aim to sell on Cadden and Kipré in the summer which you'd imagine will make a dent in paying off the loans. I've said it before but it feels like we're working to a rough timeline and have a framework of who we're aiming to move on, when and who'll replace them. I wouldn't be surprised if the club's approach to player trading is entirely with Boyle and Hutchison's blessing either.

If it all goes to plan then when unexpected offers (like the Carson one) come along it gives us a bit of freedom to judge the deal on merit (or lack of).

With the double your money offer it suggests that Les is fairly flexible when it comes to the money he's owed anyway.

I also speak as a new shareholder fwiw.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, Swello said:

I agree with you. The 40% sell on clause drastically changes the dynamic of the Carson deal. Just as Moult, better to keep him rather than bank relative pennies. For the first time in a while, we seem to have a grip on how to conduct transfer business.  All praise to Burrows. 

Early days, but it looks like we'll be losing Kipre, Cadden, Carson and Dunne this summer, that's never mind who we release.  Interesting days. 

Even before that alleged 40% sell on fee, I'd still have been against Carson leaving unless we got a silly offer. He's got 2.5 years left on his deal and is arguably the best player at the club. The number of points we've come away with this season thanks to him has been a massive part of our success so far, and he'll be worth 10-12 points between now & the end of the season if he remains on form. 

There's virtually zero chance we'd be able to bring in a decent 'keeper at such short notice, which would leave us with a free agent we dig up or Russell Griffiths. Griffiths appears to be good at the crossbar challenge, but shite at saving anything.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

He had a smashing game when he went to centre-back against Accies, which makes me think that he is being hung-out-to-dry ever so slightly on the left hand side, which clearly highlights his deficiencies in the passing department

I think that Dunne is massively under-rated player, tbh. The guy is a centre-half, clearly, and is doing pretty well (even if it is only ever so slightly) out of position. He looked dead comfortable against Killie in the middle. Emptying the ball down the line is fine with me.

I like him a lot, especially as he improved immeasurably since that haircut and stopped giving away a penalty a game being victimised by referees.