Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

WellView vs Ya Bezzer! is the kind of heel vs heel match that gets shat upon by the fans at Wrestlemania.  

Got to say though, I'm a fan.  Keep it up please.  

As for big Kipré, if we've got the best part of a million quid with a sell-on clause then it's a fantastic bit of business.  Well done to all. 

I clocked the "record sale" comment earlier. I now believe it's McFadden.  We got £1.25m initially and then 12.5% of £4.75m (the profit on his £6m move to Birmingham). That makes it slightly more than the £1.75m received from Celtic for O'Donnell. 

We do move on and it is a very good piece of business given the big man was only here for a season. But then I see the possibility of Scott McKenna being sold for around £4m ! Good luck Aberdeen if they get that - but if they do then it maybe highlights that had we held on to Kipre then we could have got more down the line.

All that said we still have 2 main debtors to pay and hopefully this sale reduces that to one only as I would hope Boyle is paid off if not already. 

I guess we now wait and wonder if anyone else leaves this summer. I have said all along I can see Carson being like Randolph and wondering how we never got a fee. At least he has another 2 years left, so no panic if he does not leave this window. 

You could make a strong argument that Carson is more valuable to the team than big Cedric and that as an international goalie more valuable too. Yes he is that but older but he is less a gamble at this moment in time. 

Interesting times......

41 minutes ago, welldaft said:

We do move on and it is a very good piece of business given the big man was only here for a season. But then I see the possibility of Scott McKenna being sold for around £4m ! Good luck Aberdeen if they get that - but if they do then it maybe highlights that had we held on to Kipre then we could have got more down the line.

At the same time we could have gotten much less to almost nothing.  £1m to Aberdeen means a lot less than it does to us, and if we get that sort of offer for a 1 season player (who wasn't looking anywhere near his former self in pre-season), we have to take it.  We talk a lot about the perceived "value" of players, but at the end of the day, every club has a price they're willing to sell everyone at, and ours is lower than Aberdeen's (and most clubs know that).

I'm really gutted to see Cedric go, but he's the first one we've let go in a long time that I actually feel has the natural ability to make it to the EPL, just as long as he applies that talent fully.  Would love to see him bodying Salah in a couple of years.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/08/04/get-a-free-replacement-on-kipre-printed-tops/

Lovely touch this from the club offering to replace any replica top with Kipre's name and number on the back. 

It's great seeing the club so in touch with the support these days, we have improved so much on that front over the last year.

Well done Motherwell.

Carson's contracted until summer 2020 so there are another 4 windows (including this one) where he could potentially move and we'd receive a fee. I'm not sure I'd equate his situation with Randolph just yet. As I said yesterday we seem to have a much better grasp of what we want and need from the market these days.

On that subject, as boring as this is I had a browse through our recent transfer history on Wiki. This list is quite selective but you can definitely notice a shift in policy since the 14/15 season vs the years prior:

• 18/19 - Kipré to Wigan - Undisclosed (£1m + %)
  • 17/18 - Released: (Petravicius, King, Watt, Plummer, Griffiths, Xenodochof, Blyth, McFadden)
  • 17/18 - Fisher to Yeovil Town - Free
  • 17/18 - McMillan to Livingston - Free ("interests protected" by sell on %)
  • 17/18 - Moult to Preston North End - Undisclosed (£500k + %)
  • 17/18 - Heneghan to Sheffield United - Undisclosed (£400k +%)
  • 17/18 - Clay to Leyton Orient - Undisclosed (f**k knows)
  • 17/18 - Thomas to Kilmarnock - Free ("interests protected" by sell on %)
  • 16/17 - Released: (Mackin, Moore, McDonald, Lucas, Fry, Pearson, Ferguson, Chalmers, Samson, Pettigrew, Kennedy, Laing, Brill, Moore)
  • 16/17 - Ainsworth to Plymouth Argyle - Free (out of contract)
  • 16/17 - Johnson to Oxford United - Undisclosed (£650k + %)
  • 16/17 - Law to Oldham - Free
  • 16/17 - Pearson to Atletico de Kolkata - Undisclosed (f**k knows)
  • 15/16 - Released: (Fletcher, Clarkson, Leitch, Long, Twardzik)
  • 15/16 - Hall to Brighton - Undisclosed (£215k - compensation)
  • 15/16 - Reid to Dunfermline - Free
  • 15/16 - Robinson to Port Vale - Free
  • 14/15 - Released: (McHugh, Vigurs, Thomas, Lawson, Kerr, Carswell, Ramsden, Francis-Angol, Cummins, Stewart)
  • 14/15 - Sutton to St Johnstone - Free (out of contract)
  • 14/15 - Erwin to Leeds United - Undisclosed (£500k - compensation)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • 13/14 - Anier to Erzgebirge Aue - Undisclosed (£350k)
  • 13/14 - Hutchison to Fulham - Free (out of contract)
  • 13/14 - McFadden to St Johnstone - Free (out of contract)
  • 13/14 - Hateley to Tranmere - Free (out of contract)
  • 13/14 - Higdon to NEC Nijmegan - Free (out of contract)
  • 13/14 - Ojamaa to Legia Warsaw - Undisclosed (£300k)
  • 13/14 - Humphrey to Preston North End - Free (out of contract)
  • 13/14 - Randolph to Birmingham City - Free (out of contract)
  • 12/13 - Law to Rangers - Free (out of contract)
  • 12/13 - Saunders to Ross Country - Free (out of contract)
  • 12/13 - Murphy to Sheffield United - Undisclosed (£75k + %)
  • 12/13 - Jennings to Coventry City - Free (out of contract)
  • 12/13 - Clancy to Hibs - Free (out of contract)
  • 11/12 - Hughes to Aberdeen - Free
  • 11/12 - Sutton to Hearts - Free (out of contract)
  • 10/11 - Reynolds to Sheffield Wednesday - Undisclosed (£150k)
  • 10/11 - Gow to Notts County - Free
  • 10/11 - Fitzpatrick to Ross County - Free
  • 10/11 - Coke to Sheffield Wednesday - Free (out of contract)
  • 10/11 - O'Brien to Barnsley - Free (out of contract)

Dry as f**k I know but the fact that the reported fee for Kipré alone works out at more than we brought in from player trading during McCall's entire tenure (as does the cumulative total for Johnson I think) puts things into a bit of context.

Edited by capt_oats

The paltry fees we received for Reynolds and particularly Murphy stand out as being dreadful pieces of business. I know these deals were us accepting anything we could get for players near the end of their contract but they really emphasise the difference in transfer dealings.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Faddy88 said:

I'm really gutted to see Cedric go, but he's the first one we've let go in a long time that I actually feel has the natural ability to make it to the EPL, just as long as he applies that talent fully.  Would love to see him bodying Salah in a couple of years.

I'm a bit wary of comments like this.  The best defender, IMO, to have left Fir Park in recent times is Shaun Hutchinson.  It didn't work for him at Fulham and he then had to spend a season plus in League One with Millwall before establishing himself as a good Championship level defender last season.  

As much as I love big Cedric, is he a better defender than Hutchinson was when he left?  I'm not so sure.  

15 minutes ago, Desp said:

I'm a bit wary of comments like this.  The best defender, IMO, to have left Fir Park in recent times is Shaun Hutchinson.  It didn't work for him at Fulham and he then had to spend a season plus in League One with Millwall before establishing himself as a good Championship level defender last season.  

As much as I love big Cedric, is he a better defender than Hutchinson was when he left?  I'm not so sure.  

Funny you say that because it's pretty much exactly the line of thought I've had and it's a natural comparison to make. Fwiw: I don't think there's too much between them in terms of ability when they left FP. IMO Hutchinson had just as much bombscare potential as I've seen levelled at Kipré. Both had areas of their game that quite obviously needed improving.

Hutchinson was a couple of years older than Kipré when he left for Fulham and had 144 games under his belt. Kipré's 21 and has just finished his first full season playing first team football. I think it's fair comment to say Kipré has the attributes to play at a significantly higher level (I thought that of Hutchinson too) but there's no guarantee that's going to happen.

There's absolutely no reason why he can't establish himself as a good Championship level defender though and I'd imagine that if he does he'll do very well for himself (and hopefully us).

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, Desp said:

Definitely not in my opinion. He is very raw and his concentration levels are questionable to say the least. He has potential though a d with the right coaching he will do well in the game but I don't see him playing at the very top level. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back in Scottish Football again in the next few years.

4 hours ago, Desp said:

WellView vs Ya Bezzer! is the kind of heel vs heel match that gets shat upon by the fans at Wrestlemania.  

Got to say though, I'm a fan.  Keep it up please.  

As for big Kipré, if we've got the best part of a million quid with a sell-on clause then it's a fantastic bit of business.  Well done to all. 

I clocked the "record sale" comment earlier. I now believe it's McFadden.  We got £1.25m initially and then 12.5% of £4.75m (the profit on his £6m move to Birmingham). That makes it slightly more than the £1.75m received from Celtic for O'Donnell. 

It's gonna be a one-sided match cos I genuinely don't read his replies. 

I want to enjoy life. 

21 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

Big Cedric starting for Wigan today

Come 5pm he will either be the best value transfer ever or a waste of sizeable transfer fee. That is if Wigan fans are as quick to judge as some Well fans are :-)

26 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Come 5pm he will either be the best value transfer ever or a waste of sizeable transfer fee. That is if Wigan fans are as quick to judge as some Well fans are :-)

At the minute it's the latter...terrible mess to give equaliser away

Went up for a normal headed clearance seemed to shut his eyes come off his face straight to the attacker for a tap in....be surprised to see him come out for second half hes been awful.few miss timed tackles miles off the pace

How was his second half? Any better?

I've never been a fan of sign one day, play the next.  It smacks of desperation.  Cedric hasn't had a single training session with his defensive colleagues. And on top of that, his head will be spinning with the move. 

Anyway, the Wigan strip must be one of the ugliest I've seen for a while. Horrendous.