Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 hours ago, BigTamMuller said:

We've surely got to be up there as one of the best teams - enviably, not quite Hibs levels - at being able to consistently wind Rangers and their fans up into fits of seething rage!

I'd argue that we've fucked them up since 2012 as much as Hibs have...

...most **** that I know, fucking despise Motherwell these days, which is incredibly pleasing.

Without knowing anything much about his injury or how his recovery is going, I wasn’t expecting to see much (if any) of Tanner before Christmas. I did see he starting some jogging last week though.

I imagine we’ll use the winter break as a mini pre-season for him to get back up to speed. Really hoping we get the same player we had before his injury as him and Bigi in the same team could be delightful.

29 minutes ago, dezz said:

Without knowing anything much about his injury or how his recovery is going, I wasn’t expecting to see much (if any) of Tanner before Christmas. I did see he starting some jogging last week though.

I imagine we’ll use the winter break as a mini pre-season for him to get back up to speed. Really hoping we get the same player we had before his injury as him and Bigi in the same team could be delightful.

Aye - if Tanner and Dunne come back from the winter break raring to go, I'd be happy enough....

Dundee seem to like defenders we seem to like midfielders. 

I don’t know where he would fit in to be honest. 

He will probably prove to be an astute signing but Hearts fans did not seem overly concerned to lose him when this rumour broke a week or two ago. 

I take St Johnstone are in for Swanson ? 

Bit boring for Well fans today but all our business was done early. 

So aside from Robinson indicating yesterday that is was "very unlikely" we'd be bringing anyone else in he was also saying that we've not had any offers for any players. Which is...interesting.

We were always going to move on at least one sellable asset but it's interesting to hear we've not had any offers for others as the consensus at the end of last season was that Carson would likely be gone. I don't know whether we've just patched our hard sell once Kipré left for Wigan or not.

I think if you'd said to most of us at the start of the window that we'd pull in £1m for Kipré, bring back Tackling Tommy Aldred for free and retain Carson and Cadden then that would have been seen as a fairly decent window.

Obviously no one anticipates signing Conor Sammon but there you go...if Robinson's always seen Main and Johnson (or Bowman) as his first choice pairing and Sammon's here to offer a bit of depth and cover because he's better than other options we could get for the % of his Hearts wage we're paying then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I still don't think we've really addressed the fact that Tanner's still likely to be absent for a while. @RandomGuy.'s Scougall shout yesterday would make sense in that respect (especially if Saints are in for Swanson now) but I suppose that's kind of offset by the re-emergence of Bigi. A midfield 3 of Campbell, Rose and Bigi gives us a bit better balance than the Campbell/McHugh/Rose midfield we saw a fair bit of last season. It's not quite the halcyon days of Lambert, Dolan and Davies but it's a start.

Anyway, here's how the squad looks by contract expiry (including u20s/reserves/players out on loan with first team appearances) There are a lot out of contract next summer, I'd like to think we'd be looking at sorting out extensions for at least some of the below after the window slams shut:

• 3. Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
  • 4. Carl McHugh
  • 5. Tom Aldred (loan expires)
  • 7. Chris Cadden
  • 9. Curtis Main
  • 11. Elliot Frear
  • 12. Ryan Bowman
  • 14. Liam Grimshaw
  • 15. Andy Rose
  • 16. George Newell
  • 17. Gael Bigirimana
  • 19. Conor Sammon (loan expires)
  • 21. Christian Mbulu
  • 23. Alex Rodriguez-Gorrin
  • 25. Ross Maclean
  • 26. Shea Gordon
  • 27. Craig Tanner
  • 28. David Turnbull
  • 29. Adam Livingstone
  • 30. Barry Maguire
  • 32. Jake Hastie
  • 33. Liam Brown
  • 35. James Scott

• 1. Trevor Carson
  • 2. Richard Tait
  • 6. Peter Hartley
  • 13. Rohan Ferguson
  • 18. Charles Dunne
  • 20, Mark Gillespie
  • 22. Liam Donnelly
  • 24. Danny Johnson
  • Manager - Stephen Robinson

• 8. Allan Campbell

Apropos of nothing 2 goals in 3 games. Still absolutely gutted he's gone lads.

Spoiler

nadir-ciftciden-eski-9c0fd5a5550547031ff

Edited by capt_oats

Wow that is a lot of players out of contract next year. 

The good news is Danny Johnson is not one of them. I will no doubt jinx it but we have won a watch with him.  I firmly believe he will be a better goal scorer than Moult ! In fact I am surprised that Celtic have not bid £250k of the £19.7m they got for Dembele to try and prise Johnson away. He looks like he will score in every game. 

Sparra, Busta and Jay look back on the impressive 3-1 victory over Dundee, assess the transfer window from a Motherwell perspective, analyse how the team are shaping up heading into the international break and more.

https://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2018-19-episode-8/

16 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Just need to find someone to fill the 'Mercurial Turkish Forward' one and we're back onto a winner.

Danny Johnson is going to be the man.  I can feel it.

19 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Sitting behind big Mick in Starbucks and he seems to be studying and writing an essay on military tactics and the history of warfare. Think our boys are in for a tough international break!

Or we're invading somewhere. 

3 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Sitting behind big Mick in Starbucks and he seems to be studying and writing an essay on military tactics and the history of warfare. Think our boys are in for a tough international break!

Was it Sun Tzu's "How to win the second ball and what to do with it"? A classic.