Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

This season looks to be going the way of 2016/17 where, iirc, we took 2 points out of 54(?) vs the Top Six. Dunno about anyone else, but I felt the two things Robinson was able to point to as clear improvements from the McGhee era were a) our very very decent record against the 'city' clubs last season and b) the lack of 6-0s, 7-0s,1-5s and 7-2s. 

So aye, if we're capitulating defensively and back to essentially writing off every game against the Top Six then that is... not a good look for Robinson. 

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 21:08, AndyRoss said:

I found Mark McGhee's interview with the BBC last week quite amusing, I've tried to document how ridiculous his final month in charge at Fir Park was.

https://www.mfc1886.com/justice-for-mcghee-the-spectacular-demise-of-a-football-manager/ 

That's a fairly forensic demolition of Mark "It's only 3 points" McGhee.

21 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This season looks to be going the way of 2016/17 where, iirc, we took 2 points out of 54(?) vs the Top Six. Dunno about anyone else, but I felt the two things Robinson was able to point to as clear improvements from the McGhee era were a) our very very decent record against the 'city' clubs last season and b) the lack of 6-0s, 7-0s,1-5s and 7-2s. 

So aye, if we're capitulating defensively and back to essentially writing off every game against the Top Six then that is... not a good look for Robinson. 

If we're being honest it was the two Cup runs last season which put so much credit in the bank for Robinson, rightly so as for clubs like ours they generate excitement and good feeling, but we didn't half have some luck especially in the Scottish Cup and were soundly beaten in both finals so it wasn't a massive achievement so to speak. Our league form since around about October of last year has been pretty horrific and it was the Scottish Cup which took so much of the heat off that, otherwise there would be a great deal more pressure on Stephen Robinson right now. 

Our record against the 'city clubs' last season was slightly better than this season but that was mostly down to the Cups where we got 3-0 wins in both cups against Aberdeen, beat Hearts and of course beat Rangers at Hampden. In the league we took two points from Celtic, one from Rangers & Hibs and three from Aberdeen having played each side three times. Against Hearts we had our best return with four points from three meetings.

Capitulations like today were a rarity and only the 5-1 loss to Celtic at the end of that exhausting week of three games against them came anywhere close to it since Robinson has been in post. There definitely is a feel of the dismal 16/17 campaign about this season and today was reminiscent of that time with us basically playing with the heads down and meekly accepting our fate but there are other similarities too. There is zero entertainment on offer, the 'brand' of football we are playing is awful to watch and unlike last season, the players look disheartened and lacking direction and confidence. All of that happened two seasons ago and only Accies and ICT being worse than we were over the piece, plus binning McGhee when we finally did, prevented us finishing 11th at best. I fear that we need to rely on similar to keep us out of the brown stuff come May.

Edited by MJC

You won't be near relegation if you keep Robinson. Sacking him and hiring a youth manager with no experience sounds exactly like the type of thing you regret 12 months later.

Easy for an outsider to say, but one poor window shouldn't define a manager.

It's not rocket science.

We were poor last season and yet went into this season with a weaker first 11 with no Moult or Kipre.

The squad players brought in to strengthen the squad haven't.

Hence the current situation.

Robinson from day one has not been interested in playing football and our squad reflects that.  In terms of footballing ability it might be our worst ever team. 

People need to calm down, have you seen how strong our bench looks these days? That’s the most important thing here.

Today didn’t really tell us anything new, we have a bloated squad full of absolutely bang average players with little very quality in it. Last week papered over the cracks and even then, we had to rely on Turnbull to produce the goods. 

Just about everything there was to like about this team last season including their strong mentality and fighting spirit is gone. It worryingly sounded like a number of them just gave up and folded as soon as we went down to 10 men today which is just unacceptable. I wasn’t there and can only really go by what I’ve read but having seen the goals back on tv, the defending for most of the goals was absolutely disgraceful- 10 men or not.

That’s most of the goodwill Robinson built back up in the last week pretty much been pissed away inside 90 mins today. Quite frankly, he’s lucky Dundee had a TV pundit in charge for a large chunk of the season and St Mirren appointed a PE teacher to replace Stubbs, or he’d probably be gone by now already.

I imagine a grim season awaits of us desperately trying to keep our heads above water again, before another mass clear out and another massive rebuilding job in the summer. 

The only real question is, will Robinson be the man to over see it. 

Edited by Casagolda

I keep repeating this, but our summer transfer dealings were absolutely horrendous and they are biting us big time. Having reached two Cup finals we had the opportunity to address the weaknesses of the side from last season, namely our lack of a goalscorer, lack of a midfielder and lack of pace and width. Instead we 'strengthen' our fucking subs bench, something that the manager freely admits. For anyone who is in any doubt that we are in serious trouble, that alone should set alarm bells ringing loud and clear. 

As has been said, we have been awful all season, going right back to the League Cup group matches in July and with the exception of the Rangers home game and our results against the two worst sides in the division we have not improved one bit.

We were poor last season, but we had a battling quality about us which helped us to two cup finals and undoubtedly got the support inside, but we have seen none of that this season and as I said further up the thread, today's collapse and hammering will undoubtedly be the last straw for a number of our support. Last season we found ourselves down to 10 against Celtic twice yet never came close to being humiliated like today and only the 5-1 loss at Celtic Park, the 5-1 loss to St.Johnstone at the end of the season where we were clearly not playing 100% and the farcical game at Perth at the start of the season came anywhere near today. That was McGhee-esq capitulation.

To be honest, it’s all beginning to feel rather familiar isn’t it?

Since Les took over and we adopted our new strategy, we seem to have been caught in an endless cycle of relegation scrap, sack the manager, mass rebuilding job in the summer- rinse and repeat. First Baraclough, then McGhee and now here we are again with Robinson, with some fans already wanting a 4th new manager in just under 4 years.

We’re so busy patting ourselves on the back because ‘the model’ saw us sign and sell Moult, Johnson, Kipre etc that we don’t seem to even acknowledge the utter shite we had to wade through in order to find them(see all those listed on this thread last week). How much money was actually wasted in order to find and sell those 3?

Is this strategy really taking us anywhere long term other than the Championship? It feels like we’ve been treading water for years now and surely there’s only so many times you can chop and change the manager while bringing in half a new team before it eventually catches up with you. 

Or do we simply just lay the blame firmly at Robinson’s door, sack him and start the whole process all over again?

From an outsiders point of view, people keep telling me that Motherwell will pick up points and will challenge up the table. Heading towards the likes of saints, Livi, Hibs, etc. Correct me if I’m wrong but 6 of your points were over St Mirren and Dundee, teams everyone is beating. I don’t see it this season, you guys are in a bit of trouble. Admittedly you’ll be saved by the dross beneath you, but there’s not many players in that team that I’d want at saints. Right now The Campbell and Main from last season and possibly Cadden as well, but that in itself is a reflection on the squad Robinson is building.

You’re moving into the mound saints had for years, hard working with very little skill, but could win games. Albeit without the winning. We’ve done the opposite and brought in ball players and are reaping the rewards. There’s times where a manager needs to change his own style and I feel like that’s Robinson’s issue, he doesn’t trust the ballers to battle and as a result you’re left with no footballing brains and just a bunch of athletes. End of the day, you can keep the ball away from athletes no matter how quick they are. You can’t catch the ball if it’s being played about. I may be wrong, but that’s my take on it.

Motherwell will survive, but some self reflection is required by the manager I fix it.

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

To be honest, it’s all beginning to feel rather familiar isn’t it?

Since Les took over and we adopted our new strategy, we seem to have been caught in an endless cycle of relegation scrap, sack the manager, mass rebuilding job in the summer- rinse and repeat. First Baraclough, then McGhee and now here we are again with Robinson, with some fans already wanting a 4th new manager in just under 4 years.

We’re so busy patting ourselves on the back because ‘the model’ saw us sign and sell Moult, Johnson, Kipre etc that we don’t seem to even acknowledge the utter shite we had to wade through in order to find them(see all those listed on this thread last week). How much money was actually wasted in order to find and sell those 3?

Is this strategy really taking us anywhere long term other than the Championship? It feels like we’ve been treading water for years now and surely there’s only so many times you can chop and change the manager while bringing in half a new team before it eventually catches up with you. 

Or do we simply just lay the blame firmly at Robinson’s door, sack him and start the whole process all over again?

We need a long term football strategy.

It has to be based around youth development, technical football and strong coaching.

Robinson is to blame for lower league/non league clogger style football and not bringing through youth when it should have been done which was the second half of last season and the beginning of this season.

I'm happy to stick with someone through rough results if it's the right person but Robinson just isn't the guy to take us forward.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!