Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

That latest video of the players on top of a mountain terrifies me. I was more scared watching it than Blair Spittal was being there.

The person on facebook who wanted us wearing elbow pads and knee pads (!) while biking will be having kittens.

8 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

The person on facebook who wanted us wearing elbow pads and knee pads (!) while biking will be having kittens.

He'll be asking Flow why they weren't wearing  parachutes.

See with the Carroll/McGinley chat yesterday it's only just occurred to me that as far as I can remember big Toby hasn't been in any of the pre-season #content bar the 1st day back and even then he was just cutting about in that video rather than doing any hard yards.

Basically what I'm getting at is, is he still injured or rehabbing?

Coincidentally, I was surprised to see that despite being right footed Jordan McGhee's TransferMarkt profile has LB listed as 'other position'.

691462205_ScreenShot2022-07-08at08_25_48.thumb.png.5124bba6c0168ae0725484fa095d3cbc.png

164883267_ScreenShot2022-07-08at08_28_52.thumb.png.2b01f36805a63881cea0c5cf31e03610.png

Edited by capt_oats

On 06/07/2022 at 14:58, capt_oats said:

This will sound snarky but it's genuinely not meant to be but what players would cut it? Like, for frame of reference.

Yes, it's up to the recruitment department and that but it'd be interesting to know.

As I said earlier, the one player we've been credibly linked with so far that stood out for me was Davis.

It's a fair enough question tbh. I suppose I am looking for folk that are difference makers rather than the 'can do a job type' guys we have brought in. Regards profile, I'm thinking of guys like Slattery, Van Veen, Tierney, Kelly. If we could add a few more guys of that ilk I think we have a chance to push on.

I'm in favour of recruiting from Scotland, I think we haven't used it enough in the past but I don't really think someone that was playing in L1 a couple of years ago, a guy from the worst defence in the league and Paul McGinn fall into that category. I'm perfectly happy with these guys if they fall into the 'squad player' category though.

I suppose I am just a wee bit surprised that after 2022, we aren't thinking we need to raise the bar a bit on what we have just now. Maybe we are, and it will just take longer to get there. There is still time in the summer to go!

Who would I look at with my limited scouting knowledge and lack of access to Wyscout?

I'd probably use the loan market more than we have recently. McKinstry would be an obvious one. You look at what Ross County have done with guys like Hungbo. Dundee Utd with Levitt. Even as much as it pains me to say it from the Old Firm. A lot of people don't like loans and i understand the reasons why but it's something I would use to add a wee bit of quality to what we have currently. I'd think we can get some young up and coming guys with better quality than we have. Whether we can attract the quality I'm talking about from the SPFL is debatable especially given the moves Utd, Aberdeen and Hibs are making.

Adding my 2p on the LB debate.. I think fans are just coming at it from the angle of sitting watching that side of the park get exploited time and time again. It's a clear weak point in the team. Both Carroll and McGinlay have been shite on and off for a prolonged period of time, one should be shown the door and Alexander should be looking at alternatives. Don't really agree that we should just settle for another year knowing the opposition will be exploiting this weakness.

On an unrelated note, Austria looks amazing. Good to see the club making that happen. Hopefully it has a positive impact on the team camaraderie going into the new season.

1 hour ago, Luke92 said:

I'd probably use the loan market more than we have recently. McKinstry would be an obvious one. You look at what Ross County have done with guys like Hungbo. Dundee Utd with Levitt. Even as much as it pains me to say it from the Old Firm. A lot of people don't like loans and i understand the reasons why but it's something I would use to add a wee bit of quality to what we have currently. I'd think we can get some young up and coming guys with better quality than we have. Whether we can attract the quality I'm talking about from the SPFL is debatable especially given the moves Utd, Aberdeen and Hibs are making.

While I don't disagree with parts of this, County are a totally different business to what we are at the moment, and I would assume that we don't see any great value in developing other clubs' players for them. We want to sell players, not help other clubs sell players.

Levitt.. I dunno, I'd be very surprised if United didn't pay a fee for his loan in the first place, and while he is undeniably good, a two year deal with a fee (which I've seen reported) up to £1,000,000 is something we just can't do. A two year deal means they'll be looking to sell him at Christmas/next summer, and if they don't they've invested massively in a guy who'll leave for free, or less than they had anticipated, feels just super risky to me, particularly when they're already massively overpaying with their wage bill. If he picks up a knock in say, November and misses the World Cup, they immediately lose out.

Hibs, United and Aberdeen are absolutely sloshing money around. Aberdeen spent half a mil on the Macedonian laddie, Hibs paying 5 figures a week to that humpty American laddie last season, they're operating in a different sphere to us.

FWIW, I agree, some EPL loans in the door would be a nice way to bolster the squad, but it'll be later in the window before we get them in. I'd far rather rely on guys who are ours, and are here for more than 6 months, for every Jutkiewicz, guys who absolutely show the best of themselves, there's a Tyler Magloire.

3 hours ago, Luke92 said:

I suppose I am just a wee bit surprised that after 2022, we aren't thinking we need to raise the bar a bit on what we have just now. Maybe we are, and it will just take longer to get there. There is still time in the summer to go!

Worth remembering that due to the rise in "data scouting" you don't really get hidden gems as such anymore. If there's a young player absolutely smashing it at a "low" level, you'll have half the teams in the UK looking at them. Clubs like Blackpool/Luton etc., are bollocks deep into it.

You'll likely have beaten more than a handful of English sides to sign the likes of Tierney. Probably that again plus some Scottish sides to Shields.

I don't know how to word this, but for clubs at your level you'll likely be missing out on more than you sign, so you can't expect every signing to be an exciting, promising, young player on the up.

Did Van Veen get to keep the ball then?

Along I have seen the Sligo v Bala game will be on the League of Ireland TV but I'm not sure if that works in the UK or if there's another stream. Has anyone seen any more info about it?