Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Sorry, I meant 7 wins from 35 league games played in 2022.

Is that right?

8 wins. I mean it's not exactly new information.

Our league record after the break in January through to the end of the season was:

P 18 W 3 D 6 L 9

Our record this season is:

P 17 W 5 D 3 L 9

(soon to be 10 losses - for context though, as I type, we've lost the same number of games this season as Aberdeen(9)).

536837461_Screenshot2022-12-28at16_45_04.thumb.png.343b24db4138bcfcc23b1b2fe0aaeca8.png
1734790537_Screenshot2022-12-28at16_45_47.thumb.png.6e2d152162a0d841f07f273594137f98.png

456562859_Screenshot2022-12-28at16_49_13.thumb.png.914835db5e3b1a91779d34249bdde0b9.png

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's probably somewhere below xG in terms of useful barometers but I think our goal difference at least shows that we're nowhere near "the worst team in the league." 

Still might go down though. 

Bold move posting that before we rock up at Ibrox with a team held together with sellotape tbf.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I don't disagree but ultimately if the discussion is about the state of the squad then the fact the board didn't have confidence in Alexander bringing in the right players so chose to not back him but keep him in position is a contributing factor to the current situation as much as it is about GA. IIRC we made an approach for Callum Hendry as well as the players we did manage to get in.

As far as the extension goes if you take a swatch at the thread around that point most (including me) were happy enough with it. His record in 2021 was exceptional and I don't think anyone saw him going rogue in the way he did. You live and learn.

You can absolutely justify the route that the club took given the sharp turn sideways from February onwards but equally (IMO) there's no getting away from that fact that choosing to let it play out as we did has had a direct impact.

Is it fixable? Sure. It needs someone to take control of things and admit where we've fucked up and deal with it though.

Going back further to the summer of 21/22 Flow did a pod with the MFC Podcast and outlined to change in recruitment strategy, which was all fair enough. From that, I got the impression that this season was meant to be about consolidation and there was never any intention of having significant player turnover.

Someone who was actually there can remind me but there not the suggestion at the AGM that we were only anticipating bringing in "5 at the max" during the summer? Was that direction coming from the club or Alexander or both?

Aye I agree with most of that to be honest. I think the reality is it's an unfortunate extension that started it (but one not all were really bought in on), made worse by a souring relationship between manager and club as things went south, and then being in a rock and hard place come end of the season with a manager who delivered 5th and Europe whichever way it's cut with 3 years left on a contract who would not walk way from any money due as he'd delivered everything asked by in large 

Hindsight is wonderful but I reckon they did the right thing given the position. Knowing we'd be fairly weak coming into this season unfortunately

I should add, btw, I don't have any skin in the game here with the board. I have a contact but we're not talking friends or anything that I'm standing up for etc.

4 hours ago, dezz said:

Wouldn’t normally post stuff from this account but saw this on twitter. Not exactly surprising, but ooft 👀 

Just goes to show how utterly shite we’ve been all year. Relegation fodder unless there’s a significant improvement. Over to you Stevie H/the Board. 

I've no idea whether encouraging Alexander to leave on a high after last season was remotely possible but after Sligo there was no choice but to bin him almost regardless of cost in both cash and season ahead terms.

What remains an utter mystery to me is/was the contract extension given GA's path at every other job he had...why we felt at that point it was worth extending him is beyond me as anyone with eyes could see our performances, though obviously not the results, were precarious as f**k.

13 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Another sterling bit of work from our 'World Class' goalkeeper.

I watched the Killie keeper last week take so many crosses out of the air. Yes he may be 7ft tall. But our keeper will come and collect a cross if it is 1 yard out and there is no one around. 

I am Motherwell fan 1st and Scotland 2nd. I am member of Scotland supporters club for past 25 years. 

I was livid Steve Clarke never gave Kelly his debut. Now I am actually quite relieved. It would be good for the club in that it may garner some interest. But let’s be honest he is nowhere near good enough to be playing in the Scotland team. Sad fact but on the basis of his form this season it is 100% true.