Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Looking forward to his relatively simple name being butchered in the stands. 

I have it on good authority* that it’s pronounced Rye-coo Dan-zah-key. 

*made up by me

11 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

A decent attacking midfielder would be lovely. I’d rather have two decent centre halfs and a centre forward though. Not another ‘anywhere across the front 3’ FFS. 

Humbug. 

Aye...him (and GMS if the rumours are true) will almost certainly make us better without improving the areas getting us relegated.

There's time in the window yet so I'm mildly concerned rather than panicking...for now.

27 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Any potential issues with work permit? Not any area I know a lot about but I'm assuming because he's not got an international career and is fairly young this might be one where we need to appeal/get an exemption?

Unlikely. Daws covered it ages ago in a blog post @Casagolda linked to on Transfer Room that's 404ing for me atm (https://blog.transferroom.com/brexit-opening-new-daws-in-recruitment-for-motherwell-fc) - broadly speaking our whole permit situation in Scotland is much more relaxed than the other more Gammon nations.

Basically with the Exemptions Panel we dish them out like sweeties.

There's a more recent article here: https://theathletic.com/3687335/2021/12/06/scottish-clubs-handed-transfer-boost-as-work-permit-exemption-made-permanent/

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

KVV is frustrating but basically fine I think, an alternative #9 would be nice but a winger and probably a first choice central midfielder would be much higher priorities for me. I don't think we'll sign another centre back after Blaney.

The fact that Bevis seems to be broken atm means I'm kind of hopeful we might consider another centre back.

I mean, if you look at what we've lost or are injured I'd say those are our priorities.

Lost - Moult, Aarons
Injured - Mugabi, Efford

So...two wide players/wingers, a #9 and a CB.

I don't see us not replacing Moult like.

I suppose there's also the question of what's up with Josh Morris who seems to have been disappeared of late..

21 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Aye...him (and GMS if the rumours are true) will almost certainly make us better without improving the areas getting us relegated.

There's time in the window yet so I'm mildly concerned rather than panicking...for now.

Maybe we are going for the McCall and McGhee 'we'll score more than you' tactic.

Playing devil's advocate...had we stuck away one or two more of the chances we had to win 3 of the closer games  we could be sitting like 5th with our goal difference (still 6th best in the league amazingly)

1 minute ago, eliphas said:

Maybe we are going for the McCall and McGhee 'we'll score more than you' tactic.

Playing devil's advocate...had we stuck away one or two more of the chances we had to win 3 of the closer games  we could be sitting like 5th with our goal difference (still 6th best in the league amazingly)

Maybe. But I'd say scoring five and hitting the bar four times in the three non-OF games since the return shows the attack, fragile and frustrating though it is, is nowhere near the problem we most urgently need to sort. 

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Maybe. But I'd say scoring five and hitting the bar four times in the three non-OF games since the return shows the attack, fragile and frustrating though it is, is nowhere near the problem we most urgently need to sort. 

I genuinely cannot watch Shields starting for another 5 months.

17 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It's not been - but had we scored more then ...

Bring on the 4-3 wins I say 

Edit: We've got the joint 5th best goals conceded column and 6th best goals scored. How are where we are?! 

Edited by eliphas

I mean, in terms of numbers the forward area is the one we need most in.

As I say, we've lost Moult and Aarons. Efford's injured and Shields' confidence/form is rock bottom.

Not including injured players: Carroll, McGinley, Mugabi, Efford this is what we currently have contracted for after the window *slams* shut.

lineup.png.4d8ceb67b026756d24c10f8c875e6951.png

I forgot about Josh Morris. Sorry Josh.

Edited by capt_oats

12 hours ago, eliphas said:

This feeling sorry for Shields/saying he is being utilised incorrectly can get in the bin. 

He played for QOS through the middle and on the right as part of a 3. He played for them as one man up too and he played for them in a two.  We've tried him through the middle a number of times. 

The fact is that he's not good enough and more importantly for me he's not improving. He was signed off an 8 goal scoring patch over a couple months but outside of that he is not a goal scorer.

Correct. If you check his goal stats he has been murder everywhere he’s been aside from said purple patch where he managed a goal or two against Hearts in the championship. 

He’s not good enough and going by his body language he knows it . He needs taken out the squad ( not just the starting 11) for the sake of his mental health. I watched him up close at Livingston and he was silent for the 70 mins he was on the pitch. I actually found it quite disturbing .

To be fair to Alexander and Hammell both have tried to replace him with Woolery Roberts and latterly  Efford and Aarons. Had the latter two not been injured I doubt he would have anything more than 10 minute cameos this season.